Sign in to follow this  
Dragon

Cebuano teacher wanted

Dragon

A small group of us northern (Consolacion/Liloan) expats have been meeting regularly for about 2 months with the goal of learning Cebuano. Initially Douglas led the classes and did a terrfic job. We want to get a real teacher and advance our good start on the language. We meet in Consolacion and ideally want class to start around 4PM. We tried Angie but she is fully booked till later this summer. If you know someone that can TEACH the language let us know. Thanks

Edited by Dragon

Paul

Sem Villar is, by far, the best Cebuano instructor I have ever met. He used to teach me 5 days per week, 1.5 hours per day.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in several years.

Anyway, if anyone knows Sem, or if they happen to meet him, he would be your best bet, hands down.

John B

This is the cell number I have for Sem P. Vilar. Not positive it is still good. 09066714929.

Paul

I rang it, but "Subscriber cannot be reached."

Oh, I checked with Cristina Canonigo, the author of the eBook I sell. She does not have his current number either, unfortunately.

D_D

I am sorry I was not able to get back to you. I came down with a VERY bad case of conjunctivitis. I could not see and medicine was not curing it. Other than not being able to do anything other than lie in bed blind with my eyes burning and tearing, it is also very contagious and I did want to infect anyone else.

I also studyied with Sem Villar, and I highly reccomment him as a Cebuano teacher. He made learning the language so easy to learn and he perfected his techniques for over 25 years !

If you find a teacher try to find also someone who can explain the culture in addition to the language.

For example not getting back to you guys is a idiosyncrasy typical of all Filipinos. LOL

If you guys ever move the location back to Politics on Wednesdays at 12:00 p.m I would love to join your group.

( but of course I don't expect us to pay for the use to be there )

Edited by Admin
edited at the request of the poster.

Angie

Dragon, I am sorry if I have not been online lately. Terry informed me about your group but I just can't leave my part-time job in the afternoon as I have signed a contract. I also have 2 online students in the morning who are taking two days in a week each. The English guy is even asking me to do Saturday morning classes(third schedule) and I am still teaching my Irish students, twice a week too.

My American student is due to give birth in May. She might give up one of her slots, hopefully, the Saturday evening (morning her time) schedule so I can go and teach your group in Liloan.

Don't worry, as soon as I get a vacant slot, I will give it to your group.

Paul

It's okay. I have found my old friend Sem Villar. A kind gentleman from Australia just rang me direct, and gave me Sem's current cell number. Peter, thank you so very much, sir, for your kindness and willingness to help.

Anyway, if anyone wishes to learn Cebuano, I can certainly recommend Sem as a TOP teacher. When I first decided to take lessons, he is who was recommended. He taught me in a 1.5 hour class every day, five days per week. We started at 5:30am and went until 7:00am daily. So, trust me, he is quite flexible.

I thank God above, for now having contact with SEM again.

I have his email address and cell number. I will give it to anyone who contacts me wanting it. I will not, however, post that information on the open forum.

I hope you boys are ready to learn, though, if you get SEM. Because you will have the guy you need for that plan.

Runian

I am a little torn cos I have an X that is teaching English, I have tried to get her to teach Cebuano. Finally she is ready to try but I don't want her to step on Angie's toes so I want to mach prices, but I don't know how Angie is doing or if it even polite to ask her prices so my X can match. There is nothing in this for me, money or Browne points wise, I'm just helping out a friend and those of you that want to learn Cebuano. Hmm maybe I'll earn some Browne points here or a summary banishment for stepping on Angie

Paul
I am a little torn cos I have an X that is teaching English, I have tried to get her to teach Cebuano. Finally she is ready to try but I don't want her to step on Angie's toes so I want to mach prices, but I don't know how Angie is doing or if it even polite to ask her prices so my X can match. There is nothing in this for me, money or Browne points wise, I'm just helping out a friend and those of you that want to learn Cebuano. Hmm maybe I'll earn some Browne points here or a summary banishment for stepping on Angie's toes, so I'm torn...

You may not have read this entire thread.

I finally located my former instructor, Sem Villar. He is probably the best instructor for learning Cebuano that you will find in this country. I say that with the utmost confidence.

However, Angie does teach students from this forum as well.

I will say, though, I would like to do as I did with Angie, prior to recommending her on this site. I would like to attend a couple of her classes to witness her teaching students.

Runian

I finally located my former instructor, Sem Villar. He is probably the best instructor for learning Cebuano that you will find in this country. I say that with the utmost confidence.

I will say, though, I would like to do as I did with Angie, prior to recommending her on this site. I would like to attend a couple of her classes to witness her teaching students.

contact info relaid in pm 2 Paul

Hamm

So for how long did you keep up with 1.5 hrs per day, 5 days a week? Are you fluid now? Can you understand most of what you hear from the locals? Kurious lang ko kay lisod kaayo niing sinultihan para naku.

Paul
So for how long did you keep up with 1.5 hrs per day, 5 days a week? Are you fluid now? Can you understand most of what you hear from the locals? Kurious lang ko kay lisod kaayo niing sinultihan para naku.

:lol:

To satisfy your curiosity, I will tell you in person how much I understand. However, for anyone to become fluent, it would take years of learning a language.

But, from the time Sem and I began classes together, I had him as an instructor for perhaps two months? I moved shortly thereafter to Bogo, Cebu, for a year.

I can text in Cebuano, as long as my text mate isn't short cutting the short cuts. :lol: I can read some of a Cebuano newspaper.

Hamm

:lol:

To satisfy your curiosity, I will tell you in person how much I understand. However, for anyone to become fluent, it would take years of learning a language.

But, from the time Sem and I began classes together, I had him as an instructor for perhaps two months? I moved shortly thereafter to Bogo, Cebu, for a year.

I can text in Cebuano, as long as my text mate isn't short cutting the short cuts. :lol: I can read some of a Cebuano newspaper.

I took lessons once a week via skype for a couple years and try to keep up with it by conversing with my wife and reading articles in Sunstar when I can. You're right - it does take years, and I still have a long way to go. I have yet to hear of one of us foreigners that had mastered the language (or even come close for that matter. Still residing in the states for now, so I'm a bit out of the loop tho.

Paul
I took lessons once a week via skype for a couple years and try to keep up with it by conversing with my wife and reading articles in Sunstar when I can. You're right - it does take years, and I still have a long way to go. I have yet to hear of one of us foreigners that had mastered the language (or even come close for that matter. Still residing in the states for now, so I'm a bit out of the loop tho.

Agreed. In your case, you are fortunate that your wife will help you learn. in my case, I was married to a worthless scammer who didn't want me to know, or learn anything that she was saying. So, during our nine years of marriage, I never learned anything.

Davolives

Agreed. In your case, you are fortunate that your wife will help you learn. in my case, I was married to a worthless scammer who didn't want me to know, or learn anything that she was saying. So, during our nine years of marriage, I never learned anything.

I know exactly what you are talking about ! lol My first gf tried to control me by always trying to cut me out of conversations by having the other people respond to her in visayan [ which they did to be polite] Needless to say she didnt last long as my gf ! lol