Sign in to follow this  
rollocom

familyvacation in phil

rollocom

This is first travel to phil. we are 3 persons wife, daughter (11years) and me.

wife wants palms white sand and beach, also shopping possibillities are important.

safe area is apreciated. we plan to be there 2-3 weeks.

Anyone know good place to go ?

thx in advance

rollocom

RickyL

Beach and shopping = Boracay

David_LivinginTalisay
This is first travel to phil. we are 3 persons wife, daughter (11years) and me.

wife wants palms white sand and beach, also shopping possibillities are important.

safe area is apreciated. we plan to be there 2-3 weeks.

Anyone know good place to go ?

thx in advance

rollocom

rollocom,

So where in the Philippines you as a Family of 3, travelling to - Cebu?

Have you sorted out any Accommodation to stay after arrival @ airport?

Assuming you are coming to CEBU (this is LivingInCebuForums after all?) and have somewhere to stay in or around Cebu, there is plenty of scope for SHOPPING in Mactan, Mandaue City, and Cebu City.

There are RESORTS in Mactan, offering Palms and White Sands (albeit the White Sand beaches are all 'fake' (ie man made) and Shops in Mactan as well as what the RESORT offers.

There are NATURAL White Sand Beaches and Palms @ Moalboal (with some Souvenir Shops @ Panagsama Beach and Moalboal Town, but bit limited)

Alona Beach, Bohol is like a 'Mini-Boracay', and just as expensive, if not more so, (probably due to lack of real competition, unlike Boracay, which is probably better value, and certainly much more choise and selection, if you don't include the cost of getting there).

Malapascua, an island to the North of Cebu, also has NATURAL White Sand Beaches and Palms, an dsome say it is like Boracay used to be more than 10 years ago? Much less selection and variety and much less Night life also.

Same goes for Bantayan Island, that has some White Sand Beaches, but perhaps not as good as 1) Boracay, 2) Alona Beach, Bohol. 3) White Sand Beach, Moalboal, 4) Malapascua.

However, if you are not into the Party Scene, with many, many Bars, Live Music, Dancing, as well as LOTS of Souvenir Shops, then perhaps these smaller and quieter alternatives might appeal more to a Family with a daughter of just 11 years old.

4 or 5 years on however, your daughter might LOVE Boracay?

When my son and daughter visited me in Hong Kong in December 1997. they hated the place. When my daughter again visited Hong Kong, when she was 11, she still did not like it much better. She has not yet visited Philippines and is 24 now.

However when my son Paul visited Hong Kong, when he was 24, rather than 16, it was totally a more enjoyable experience for him. Then again during his visit to Cebu when he was 24, he preferred Moalboal to Boracay, go figure (and that still the case perhaps, 5+ years later?). He has not been to Malapascua, but did visit Bantayan Island some 5+ years ago and also liked that, more than Boracay, but perhaps not as much as Moalboal. If he was 14, then it would be the same as Kim visiting Hong Kong no doubt but Paul says he prefers Philippines to Hong Kong.

I would recommend perhaps that a 11 year old girl may well enjoy the 'Imperial Palace Waterpark and Spa, as well will your wife (with some 'pampering' in the Spa - massage, facial etc?).

Some other places/attractions to consider, in or near Cebu, that might appeal to an 11 year old girl?:-

• Club Ultima - Sky Adventure
  • Zipline
  • KartZone
  • Aquarium
  • Crocolandia
  • Night Vision Crazy Golf
  • Museum Sugbo
  • Mountain View Nature Park
  • "Oyster Bay' - Bridges Town Square, - 'Feed the Sharks'! (Seafood Restaurant with fake beach setting and Palms and' salt water Aquarium 'River'; with 'feeding time in the evening - 7pm?).

Hope this helps and sure plenty will argue such suggestions and perhaps come up with sensible alternatives that might also appeal to 11 year old girl.

As I said, I faced this but when my daughter was 11, I took her to Singapore, rather than Hong Kong, as she already seen Ocean Park, the Tram Ride to the Peak, 'Ripleys Believe it or Not', Museums etc/

I am just trying to think what she might liked to have seen and done, had it been Cebu and NOT Singapore?

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

loosehead

Beach and shopping = Boracay

Yes Boracay is my family's favourite holiday destination in Asia with a stop overs in Singapore and Manila for shopping. The shopping in Boracay is limited pretty much to beach and casual clothing but it is good quality and very cheap by western standards.

grumpy

Chocolate hills... an elaborate process to get there from anywhere but worth it.

rollocom

Thank you for your answers, yes Boracay was the first place I thinked of. From all my reading here in the forum, I think its the right place.

I think both my daughter and wife like if there is some life in the evening, like night marked in thailand. I just hope the evening life is not all partying in the bars.

I hope there is things to do for all family, like minigolf, night marked, live music, etc. , or something like that.

Im not sure yet if Boracay, will be the only destination, maybe some days in cebu and then go to Boracay.

Normally when we travel shopping in malls are something we all like, so some days in cebu might calme the shopping gene, he he

thanks again for all your advice

and generally for the good reading in the forum

Rollocom

rollocom

Ooh I forgot to tell we are comming from Europe, and I think we take 1 or 2 days in Bangkok, to break the long flight, and get some blod back in the legs.

Flight from europe to Thailand last time was 11 hours, and I think about 2 hours from Bankok to Cebu, with cebu airlines.

joemama

A cool thing to do at Boracay is the sunset cruise on a small boat. There is also horseback riding which i will do for the first time next month...and of course there are all the watersport things (para-sailing, jetski, snorkling, diving, etc). A lot of things your daughter will enjoy I think. Have fun...

sandwindstars

My vote is on Boracay for your family. But since it is a very small island. There's lots to do and see on Bora but it is a small island, so maybe on the way back spend a few days in Cebu/Mactan. Lots of good resorts (beach is a bit rocky, pebbly) and places to visit including real malls.

towboat72

Chocolate hills... an elaborate process to get there from anywhere but worth it.

i do not understand why people think choclate hills are so great all they are hills,very over rated and not worth the time it takes to get there

crj

Boracay and Palowan are great family vacation destinations and I like both places very much for relaxing, white sand, water sports, and family friendly. Have a great time and I hope it is your first of many trips to the Philippines.

JasonEcos

If you are spending 2-3 weeks over here then I would suggest staying in multiple areas....maybe 2-3. Travel in the country is cheap so you might as well see a bit of the country while you're here.

What type of experience are you looking for? More of a tourist/party type experience? More of an eco experience? Do you wish to see what life is like here for the natives? Peace and quiet? Is price a limiting factor?

I haven't been to Boracay yet but my fiancee has and she enjoyed it but said its pretty much touristy. Which can be good, or it can be bad, depending on what type of experience you are looking for.

I enjoyed both Camotes Island and Cabilao Island.

Camotes is a decent size and doesn't have much development so you get to see what native life is like....safely. We stayed in a resort on the beach for about 400peso a night for a room with AC. The water was clean and there was some very good snorkeling. The water stayed shallow and calm for quite a ways out in high tide(so if one of you aren't a strong swimmer you don't have to worry about drowning).

Cabilao is off of the coast of Bohol and we've spent the day there at a friends resort a few times. Very clean, very quiet. Unlike most places I've been to in the Philippines there isn't loud music/karaoke blaring. Its a much more relaxing environment. Agian, that can be good or bad depending on the experience you are looking for. It takes about 2hours to get there from Cebu City. You could also go to the main island of Bohol and see the Chocolate Hills, the tarsier preserve, etc.

I haven't been to Palawan yet but it looks beautiful. It strikes me as a "eco" type destination.

Candyman

i do not understand why people think choclate hills are so great all they are hills,very over rated and not worth the time it takes to get there

I agree to this somewhat, and the countless number of stairs to get to the lookout post at the top is rather daunting, to those not quite in the best physical condition, and hard on the knees, but if you combine this trip to carmen and the Chocolate hills, with a Loboc River Cruise, and a visit to the Tarsiers, which there are quite a lot of different places to see these on the way, then it can be a very nice day trip. There is also heaps to do around Tagbilaren City, and I highly recommend a visit to the Bohol National Museum there. It is one of the few Museums in the Philippines where cameras and cam corders are allowed, and has excellant displays.

It also has one of the best displays of "Cranial Distortion" I have ever seen in any museum in the Philippines. You could stay in Tagbilaren City and use it as a base, and from there go to numerous places. One of those is Alona Beach on Panglao Island, and there are heaps of good places to stay there too if you wanted to.

Another truly top place, you could spend a week or more just exploring, is in and Around Intramoudas, or the "Walled City" around Manila. It Takes in Fort santiago, the Rizal shrine, The Philippine National Museum, and separate building, Philippine National Art Gallery, and The Magnificent San Augustin Church, (You could spend a couple of days just going through that properly), only about 10% of that is used as a church these days, the rest, is a very fine Museum and Art Gallery, one of the best I have ever seen anywhere in the world !

These are just a few ideas, and there are a LOT more sights to see, in all different areas of the Philippines, but these are a couple of my personal favourites, so far !

abw

You're only there for for 2 or 3 weeks, so maybe use Manila as your base.

As others suggest, go to Boracay for a few days. It's relatively easy to get to by plane and boat (can be pre-booked). For a day trip or overnight, you could try Lake Taal. There's also Baguio and perhaps Sagada (hanging coffins) in the north. For a few days try stunning Palawan (fly from Manila). Manila itself has plenty of things to do...shopping (huge malls), museums, entertainment etc.

Andrew

rollocom

Im not sure Manilla is right place to have base, I think about base in cebu?

Is it possible to go from cebu to palawan by plane, or is it only ferry.

I think I read somewhere that cebu is central airport for domestic flights as wel as manilla.

rollocom

abw

Im not sure Manilla is right place to have base, I think about base in cebu?

Is it possible to go from cebu to palawan by plane, or is it only ferry.

I think I read somewhere that cebu is central airport for domestic flights as wel as manilla.

rollocom

Palawan can be reached by plane from Cebu. The main city of Palawan is Puerto Princesa. I think both Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific both fly there (just check their websites).

Yep, both Cebu and Manila are domestic hubs.

Andrew

MerinRich

post-3216-0-52184000-1302387137_thumb.jpgI have a package deal from a travel agency for APulit Palawan at cheap price when i come to cebu, will be one of my destinations.. I am not sure if im allowed to post it here the link.I just thought to share it with you as well, Palawan seems to fit you guys aside from Cebu. U can always ask Paul, he is nice to give you permission to get PM.

Good luck! and keep reading on this forum...it is always helpful and very informative about Philippines.

Cheers to people runnning it!

crj

I agree with ABW that a trip to bagio is worth the time if you have time. You will see pine trees and have cooler temperatures to enjoy and many beautiful sites. There is so much in the Philippines to see it would take a long time to see it all.

Headshot

Thank you for your answers, yes Boracay was the first place I thinked of. From all my reading here in the forum, I think its the right place.

I think both my daughter and wife like if there is some life in the evening, like night marked in thailand. I just hope the evening life is not all partying in the bars.

I hope there is things to do for all family, like minigolf, night marked, live music, etc. , or something like that.

Im not sure yet if Boracay, will be the only destination, maybe some days in cebu and then go to Boracay.

Normally when we travel shopping in malls are something we all like, so some days in cebu might calme the shopping gene, he he

thanks again for all your advice

and generally for the good reading in the forum

Rollocom

While I would rarely ever recommend Manila to anyone, you can get to Boracay from either Cebu or Manila. Both have malls. Cebu has SM City Mall and Manila has SM Mall of Asia. Of course, there are smaller malls in both cities. However, when it comes to other things to do (not associated with bar-hopping), Manila wins hands down. Yes...it is a big, dirty, congested city (Cebu is just dirty and congested), but because it is bigger, it has a lot more variety when it comes to things to do and places to see. It also has a lot more choice when it comes to good places to eat. Of course, there are down sides, but you can probably avoid them if you're smart.

Forget about Lake Taal. The area is being evacuated due to possible volcanic activity.

Stranded Shipscook

You got a kazillion info already ( David-living-in-Talisay informative as always, just click on his in built links too, don't forget to hit the 'thank you" button on his post,most people don't )

Now, as i did a few yacht charters with families to those islands i had the subjective impression, that Children in this age category generally prefer Malapascua and Panglao Beach in Bohol.

Big resorts in Mactan may be a bit too boring for them, as they are designed for grown ups. And it cost you !

If i be in your situation, i would plan as follow:

Spend 3 days in Cebu or Mactan in a good hotel or resort for acclimatisation and shopping sprees. Also consider buying most beachwear and tropical clothing at this time, you save a great deal of Money and shopping is fun. SM or Ayala mall are most suitable for this and resorts offer shuttle service there. good hotesl and resorts also offer storage of 'excess luggage" until your departure, so you can travel "light" and don't have to bring your other "bargain buys" with you. of course it requires a fixed booked room for your departure day(s), but that is most probably necessary anyway.

If you are not low on a buck, consider the hotels offers on bringing you to the 'ferry points", so you travel safe and nice.

(Buses and other public transport can be a nuisance for vacationers)

Then you proceed to either Panglao or Malapascua beach for the more relaxed part of the vacation. I do not know what your wifes ties are to the Philippines, she may have other plans with her family or such. (maybe you post more explicit infos?) :thumbs_up:

Why not Moalboal? Well, its more playground for divers and grown ups and not so "beachy" as the name suggests. Among other "negative" aspects visible to your daughter. Except you want to keep her locked in the resort. (oh no, i can see the storm brewing among the Moalboal lovers here, guys, for Christ sake, she is 11 and i would not want my daughter being exposed to all those local mini machos and hookers ! )

Why not Boracay? Great also, but very expensive and very "exploited". But one could take it in consideration, it is just my personal opinion and you have to decide for yourself then. been there 1985 first and every further development made me cry, but don't get mislead by subjective opinions.:closedeyes:

Edited by Guenther