Quinn's Introduction

Pagbati sa lahat,

I am from Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA (Land of 10,000 Lakes,) planning a move to the Philippines when I retire at the end of 2011. I was born In Los Angeles, California where I lived until I was 16. I love the ocean and miss it, however, Minnesota is a beautiful place with lots of lakes and forest. I currently live in Minneapolis, ( a city of about 3 million residents,) but have lived on the Iron Range in the north, (near the Canadian border,) in a small town and at the lake for a number of years and prefer the small lake community to the City.

My favorite place to fish, camp, think and be, is along the US / Canadian boarder in a preserve known as the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) on the US side, and the Quetico National Forest on the Canadian side. It's millions of acres of pristine wilderness (just as God laid it down.) It can only be accessed with a non motorized Canoe or Kayak. No planes are allowed in the airspace, there are no power lines, houses, or hint of human settlement.

I plan to move to Cebu in less than a year; I am drawn to the Philippines for its overwhelming beauty, climate, low cost of living and hope to discover many more reaons. I'm interested in several places in the Visayas and currently leaning toward Palawan but plan to make "base camp" in Cebu, because of its central location and hub to the rest of the Islands. From there I will search for "the right spot," but may never get past Cebu, if it is as nice as I've been told.

My interests are: Boat Building and Design, Sailing, Diving, Fishing, Flying, Homebuilt Aircraft, Sail Planes, Writing, Photography, Nature and BBQ to name a few.

I hope to meet each of you in my travels.

kapayapaan, kaligayahan at kasaganaan

Quinn, himself

welcome quinn,

I know BWCA well, as i used to live just north of it, in Manitoba.

permanent here now in cebu.

drop a line sometime,

• 3 weeks later...

welcome to the forum - I am from Wisconsin and am a fishing and "up north" guy also. Many wonderful things about the Phil. but the area you speak of back home is heaven. However only for 3 months of the year. I am going to try for both the Phil for 8 months of the year and the lake country of the north for most of the rest.

welcome to the forum - I am from Wisconsin and am a fishing and "up north" guy also. Many wonderful things about the Phil. but the area you speak of back home is heaven. However only for 3 months of the year. I am going to try for both the Phil for 8 months of the year and the lake country of the north for most of the rest.

Great Plan! What city in WI and where in the Phils are planning to locate?

bounder

Welcome to the forum Quinn. Living just to the south of you in Iowa, I have become disenchanted with the cold and snow that winter provides. Hence I spent last winter in the Cebu and will be going back permanently in July. Any place that doesn't snow is the perfect place for me and in my mind the Philippines suits me fine.

Topper

You know if you move to the Philippines, it will put the brakes on your ice fishing.:goodnight: Kidding aside, you will love the weather and the beaches. Lots to do. Are you married to a Filipina?

PapaRay

Welcome on board dude...Hope you find it enjoyable. Just wondering why you chose the Philippines

have a look at the threads in the boating forum if you are into sailing. Pinoyboats.org has a lot of info on boatbuilding in Phil

Mr. Mike

Welcome Quinn,

Are you familiar with the Gogebic Range, Ironwood,MI and Hurley,WI? I have relatives up there and I was raised in Green Bay...

mrmike

• 1 month later...
Ungaro

Welcome, Quinn!

I moved here last November from Spokane, WA. This is my first "summer" here, where "summer" is considered April - May - June (that is when school is out, too). It has been hotter than I like but I am adjusting.

We also planned to settle in Palawan. My wife is from Bohol. We have been looking at many islands in Visayas and we loved Palawan. Unfortunately, Palawan has been so overrun by land speculators that it is virtually impossible to find property at any price close to reasonable. We came close to buying property on Bohol (near Loon), but there were too many snags (no tax declaration for the house built two years ago, seller wanted me to pay their capital gains tax, etc.) that we decided to pass.

Finally we decided to buy a townhouse in Talisay. If we don't like living there we can always rent it out.

Best of luck to you!

John