Hi from the US, wants to move to Cebu City

Guest Otokan

Guest Otokan

Hi, I'm an American guy who wants to move to Cebu City to be closer to my Girlfriend, and I thought the best way to research it is to join a forum...

I speak English fluently, Spanish so-so, Japanese semi-fluently, Wasei-Eigo (English-Japanese Pidgin) semi-fluently, and I'm learning Cebuano.

I'm a craft Whiskey and Rum distiller and a potter for a living.

I have a Tech school degree in Horticulture.

Nice to meet all y'all. ^___^

RogerDuMond

Welcome to the forum.

Mr. Mike

Welcome to the forum Otocan! You sound like a very interesting person. ;)

mrmike

arkitek toeknee

Welcome welcome...

do you water plants with rhum and whiskey???? LOL, just kidding...

you can definitely contribute or even work in the Philippines as a landscape artist or any related field, there aren't much horticulturist i know...

hope you'll be closer to your girlfriend soon enough...

again welcome to the forum!!!

toe-knee

RandyOdom

Welcome, you will love it here once you get used to the traffic, the smog and all the smiling, wonderful Filipinos.

Guest Otokan

Thanks for the warm welcome guys... As for work, I was thinking of opening another distillery with an attached bar. I already have obtained a copy of the Philippines alcohol licensing and tax laws. It's quite a lot cheaper there than here. I'd also make Virgin versions of my liqueurs for those who wish to abstain and for export to Indonesia. I use the whiskey and rum I make for liqueurs as well as bottling them straight.

The one thing that scares me about the Ph is the snakes. Rattle snakes I know how to deal with, cobras not so much...

JasonEcos

Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't worry about the snakes, especially if you live in/near the city. I've been here going on 2 yrs and I keep my eye open for snakes, and I;ve only seen one pencil sized one....which bums me out because I am a snake fan. Cobras are actually not that bad. Their venom is pretty potent but they aren't real nervous snakes. The reason why you hear of so many cobra bites is because people step on them....often in when in a rice terrace barefoot. Rattle snakes have weaker venom but they are a heck of a lot more nervous and will bite you faster. Personally I would rather be stuck in a room with a cobra than a rattler. So the moral of the story is....don't walk through rice paddies without looking where you are stepping.

BossHog

ummm.

You're gonna make alcohol-free rum in the PI and export it to the Moslems in Indonesia?

Well, pard, at least you'll have the market cornered.

Guest Otokan

Thanks Jason. Um, how do I avoid a Krait? My girlfriend has seen them in the city before...

I was also thinking that in the event I wind up killing a snake, is it considered acceptable to deep fry them and smother it in mushrooms and cheese?

Guest Otokan

@BossHog

Alcohol-free rum is just water and oak essence... pretty boring. So that would be a big no. Sorry if I was unclear, but only some of the liqueurs will have a virgin counterpart. The straight liquors are just as is, you can't take the alcohol out or there isn't anything worth drinking left in it. Everything would be for sale locally, and the few virgin drinks would be sold in the several moslem countries to the south.

JasonEcos

Snakes in general pretty much leave humans alone as long as you don't provoke them or step on them. A few species tend to be a bit more aggressive/nervous than others (such as the rattler) but every case of snake bite I can recall hearing about was someone stepping on one, or trying to pick it up, or getting bit when picking wood out of a wood pile, sticking hands in a rock crevice when rock climbing, etc.  Basically its almost always situations where you are invading their home, or hurting them/messing with them.

I don't know much about land kraits, but sea kraits (which also go on land) are about as docile as snakes get.  They have been known to swim up to divers, swimmers, surfers just to check out what they are doing...even sometimes wrapping around a persons leg for a free ride (probably what you did not want to hear eh?) I've come across a few when snorkeling here and  would shadow them from a few feet away for a bit watching them poke around in the coral and they were fine with me there. no aggression shown whatsoever.

Really, I wouldn't worry about snakes. With that said I have a fear of spiders so I was pretty concerned about running across them prior to moving here.biggrin_01.gif

Edited by JasonEcos
Guest Otokan

The only spiders that really bother me are black widows... Of course that's because me and my brothers used to catch various kinds of spiders and make them fight. The neighborhood kids would bet on them and the person who caught the winning spider got a cut of the winnings.