Moving to Cebu This Year

Hi all,

My name is Steph, I'm 37, and come from the UK, though I currently live in Tokyo. Yoroshiku!

Earlier this year, I took a very short (2 days!) trip to Cebu to make sure it was for me before I committed myself to moving there. It was, and later this year I'll 'up sticks' and head on back to Mandaue City.

What draws me to Cebu? Well, a couple of things. First off, I work as a writer, so I don't need to live in any particular location thanks to the internet. But writers, as you probably know, make very little money these days. If I live in Cebu, I can write full-time, whereas here in Japan, I have to teach English to supplement my income... and that sucks. Also, there's the appeal of living in a country that speaks so much English. Here in Japan, there's so much that I can't do because I don't speak the language. Third, and perhaps most important for me, is the fact that Cebu has some of the best Arnis/Kali/Eskrima masters in the world. During my visit, I met a few and found them to be friendly and welcoming. I've been into martial arts my whole life (though my first love is, and always will be, bodybuilding). The chance to train with some great teachers is a major draw for me. To be honest, I can't wait to get over there. If it wasn't for circumstances, I would be there now!

Anyway, I'm really glad I found this forum. I came across the Geralyn topics and was really moved by how great the people here are. I hope, when it comes time for me to ask for advice, that you'll be patient with me and help me out a bit. I'll try not to bug you all too much.

In the meantime, salamat for running this cool site.

Best,

Steph.

RogerDuMond

Welcome to the forum.

arkitek toeknee

Welcome to the forum Steph...

I am a true-blue "Mandauehanon" born and raised in the city of Mandaue. I am glad to know that you will choose the city of my birth as you will settle here in the Philippines.

and if you are into arnis/skrima, we are good neighbors of world renowned doce pares, which actually has their headquarters in our village.

hope you'll have a good time here in the Philippines.

again welcome to the forums

toe-knee

Hi Steph

I am a Kiwi/Australian, and am also new to this forum.

I am vacating my shack in Talisay on 7th May for at least 2 months, and may be permanently. It is a tiny 2 bdrm with water, but no shower (native style)

It has taken me 20 years visiting, and/or living here to organise such a cheap and convenient set up. I have wireless broadband, and cable TV ($24 a month each), the rent $72 a month!! - that's right, but it is a bit rough - electricity, and water about $36, and I would charge say $24 a month for use of fridge/stove/ furniture, unless you wanted to set up your own, in which case I would give mine to a deserving family.

The house is private, secure, and quiet (for Philippines) - with 24/7 transport at end of driveway.

8 minutes to Tabunok market/shopping center (18 cents), 200 m from expressway to city - about $3.50 by taxi and 20 minutes.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

@toe-knee: I actually met 'Diony' Canete last month at the Doce Pares school. It was an honour. I may have to ask you sometime about finding a home in Banilad, toe-knee. That's where I want to be! :drink:

Steph,

I'm not a PC guy x2 (Politically Correct / Anti Windows), so I just say what I feel and accept the consequences.

No one here understands "Yoroshiku" so I suggest you forget the japanese you do know*. This is Asia only because of Latitude and Longitude. Oh, and the way people cut in front of you (Not everyone) .. that's Asia as well. when you're 6 feet tall no one cuts in front of you, but when you're a little guy it happens all the time..

I'm a former Berlitz Japan guy myself..

* I mean, japanese isn't necessary here. The "ponjins" can learn English if they want to communicate here.

Where you live WILL make a difference... Roosters, dogs, disco, ect.. hope you don't mind noise..

jm

sunnyside_up

Welcome welcome to my lovely country. I know it will drive u crazy but it will balance out. what kind of writing do you do? Good luck finding a place in banilad.

mpt1947

Gee my internet was down for a day and all these new people show up - welcome one and all.

To the OP - it would seem you have most of what you need in order and should have no problems - The only thing I would caution you on, is that most people do not speak English. Very broken, but it doesn't come close to what you see and hear at SM, S&R, or the hotels around town.

I have lived in Alaska Mambaling since July - and most of my neighbors just look at me dumbfounded - when I start speaking fast - of course I look the same way when the start talking to me - but over the course of the months and with the help of my wife, daughter, In-laws, I have picked up a few words, sign language and of course, the ever present SMILE

Take care - hope you like and feel comfortable here

Balintawak

Welcome to the forums,

There is a bldg with small but nice apartments just next door to DP HQ. Was 12 or 15K. Other than that you just look inside the subdivision.. Many available.

On the other hand, you might want to try out different styles and clubs and then decide where to live. I used to live in Cabantan, a few houses apart from Nick Elizar, Gm of Nickelstick Balintawak.

For the last year I didnt get to practice much though as im building a business. Im getting back to practice though, its just hard.

I have a Swedish friend who used to be one of the tops in Sweden and europe when it comes to BB. He just moved back to lapu and into my neighborhood so ill have my first session of buff-up today lol. ouch ouch ai-ai

But thats in Lapu though.

You may bug me anytime. Best of luck.

Andy

Thanks again for the welcome to the forum, folks. It seems like I might be in for a bit of culture shock, but that's all part of the 'living overseas' package. I'll adapt or move on, I guess.

Balintawak, I'm PMed you about Arnis schools and bodybuilding gyms. Looking forward to picking your brain.

I guess my main concern right now is 'how to access my money.' So, here's a question for those of you who are paid/supported by funds paid into accounts in your home country: how do you get access to your money in the Philippines? Can people on a tourist visa set up bank accounts in Cebu? Were you able to set up a credit card, too?

Any info is very much appreciated. Cheers.

arkitek toeknee

steph,

oh that's good that you met "diony" he is such a cool-calm-headed kinda guy.

it would be my pleasure helping you out find a home in banilad, just give me details about your preference...

toe-knee