Illegal marriage?

Jesse, we bait bears here in Maine even though it's illegal. But of course it's highly effective and that's why people continue the practice.

So I will happily rise to your bait, as I have nothing to hide. And naturally, what everyone on this forum says online is the Gospel truth.

So you're absolutely right. I've been hiding the truth from everyone. I will take my chances and admit now to having had carnal relations with many teenage girls in my day...However, I was also a teenager at the time.

As for virgins, I once lusted after one and ended up becoming her boyfriend. Only she wasn't 15 or even 20, she was 27 and I was 32.

That's been the biggest age gap for me. Everyone since then has been within 3 yrs of my age. On the eve of my first trip to PH, I find myself really wondering if the 31 yr old I am going to visit will be too young for me. Imagine that!

If you're wondering why pedophilia appears to be a touchy issue with me, I recently watched as a man I grew up with entered the district courthouse and beat a guilty charge for the abuse of his stepdaughter when she was a teenager (and possibly younger). Everyone knew he was guilty. And the SOB has had the nerve to carry on as if nothing ever happened. Personally, I want to lynch him. I'm sorry and embarrassed that I feel that way but there are some things which one should never excuse. Preying on a teenage girls is one of them.

So my reply to the fellow from South Carolina seeking legal advice would be: Get the hell out of my face!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• Paul

• Headshot

• Cary

Top Posters In This Topic

Cipro

-If you can look yourself in the mirror and be comfortable marrying a girl who not only looks young enough to be your daughter but is in fact chronologically young enough to also be your daughter, be my guest, have at her.

I'm not going to comment on this as it seems to be treading into a banned topic.

But if she's a teenager that won't change my mind one iota that you're a pedophile ...

We discussed this and agreed it's NOT true, why are you bringing it out again?

Most of us men find teenage girls extremely attractive but very few of us would have relations with one. If you're her father, are you comfortable with a man twice your age screwing your daughter?

Very few guys are comfortable with the image of any female relative having sex, it's just the way we are.

Again, if in that scenario you are, have at it, mon ami. None of what you do or say will persuade me that you don't belong in jail. Is my point becoming clearer? But I will agree, that maturity is a very relative thing and the marriage consent laws are entirely arbitrary. However we have to start somewhere and 21 seems a good starting point.

Grandpa feels differently, or would have if he were still alive. Who are you to say that most of the people who have lived and died already on Earth were dead wrong and you are the keeper of the "one right way"? Ghandi? Budda? Is that you?

-Blaming the poor is a predictable stance. But if we are to think clearly about the scenario when an American saunters into Ph, we would recognize that he has the benefit of 1) more education 2) more money 3) more experience. Did I leave something out? Don't tell me Senyor Abasolo in his bahay kubo deserves equal blame for the selling off of his daughter when his circumstances are such that doing so may represent the only glimmer of hope for finding his way out of a bad situation. The American fellow on the other hand has absolutely nothing to lose. I don't condone holding a balisong to his throat however.

The discussion of human slavery seems off topic to me, so I won't comment any more.

Many have referred to the marriage customs of earlier generations. And yes, of course, once upon a time, marrying young was de rigeur. In the US, when agriculture once dominated American lives to an extent few of us can imagine, families needed as many hands as possible so there was pressure from very early on to produce large litters. However, life expectancy at the turn of the 19th/20th century was also about half of what it is today so keep that in mind...couples may have married much younger but they sure as hell died sooner.

And this is relevant how?

Stranded Shipscook

I don't want to contribute to the discussion whether i is morally, ethically, psychologically or any other form correct or incorrect.

just one thing i found while browsing through is the assumption that one could marry a girl/woman under the consent age. Technically yes, but if found out, and it eventually will be found out, the person will be in great danger. Not only because the marriage is simply invalid, but also because he will be prosecuted, even many years after. Fault or not fault, that does not matter in the law. One is guilty even when cheated by the bride and under the assumption that the papers are correct.

Now the Child abuse act 7610 ( worth to place it maybe under a new Forum called 'Philippine laws concerning foreigners" - just a suggestion) is pretty clear and harsh.

I post it in full lenght, the sections of most interest i marked RED :

Republic of the Philippines

Congress of the Philippines

Metro Manila

Ninth Congress

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 7610

June 17, 1992

AN ACT PROVIDING FOR STRONGER DETERRENCE AND SPECIAL PROTECTION AGAINST CHILD ABUSE, EXPLOITATION AND DISCRIMINATION, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Philippines in Congress assembled:

ARTICLE I

Title, Policy, Principles and Definitions of Terms

Section 1. Title.

Edited by Admin
disabled emoticons (smileys)
Wombat No More

This post is a long one but you have to get used to that with a wombat, tough titty, just skip it if you like?

When I was 26, more than half a lifetime ago, I started writing to a 16 year old Filipina in Manila. This was in the days before internet and curiously, the mail between Oz and the Phils was 6 to 7 days meaning a reply within 2 weeks. Today it is 2 weeks one way and nearly a month for a reply... Go figure? Anyway, it cost me a bloody fortune also, in phone calls to her. I think it was $2 a minute (back in the days when the US$ was only worth about .76 cents to us Aussies) and at that time, salary was about $160 a week.

I had decided that I was not happy with the general attitude of Australian women and that I did not want to marry someone my own age and still look like a fit and youngish looking guy at 50 (like so many I saw around the place) and be with a wife who looked like she could be my mother.

So I wrote to this 16 year old and when she turned 18, I went, as a 28 year old, to Manila to meet her and probably marry her if she was all that she seemed in the correspondence. Even the stated 5'6" height wasn't far off and the story of her being the top student out of 1400 in her school before was right. I stayed with the family and the very first night, I went to my bedroom and there she was waiting for me in the bed. I argued and pointed out that it was too early for that etc etc, but this beautiful lady was not going and a little later our relationship was consumated. After that night I insisted that she sleep with her family until we had sorted things out and committed to a marriage, the paperwork and such having already been organised before I arrived. So, a few days later, she is vomiting all over the stairs in the morning. Well shit I thought, SHE'S PREGNANT!

Well, I am a responsible guy and everything seemed fine with all aspects of her and her mum and 6 siblings. We did all the big number of arrangements, interviews and more paper filing and got married a month later.

I got a huge shock 2 weeks out from the wedding when I went over the paperwork filed before I arrived in the country and the licence application etc. I looked and double, triple, quadruple looked and called her and her mother over and said "The wrong birth date has been put in the paperwork for your daughter?"

Mamma replied, "No, that's right"

Well, shock, horror... She had turned 16 only 3 months before!!! Wow, this was hard but it only took a few seconds to come to the obvious conclusion and that was that I had to forget this fact and carry on regardless for the simple reason that she was pregnant with my child. I had to forget the lie. So, I got a few weird looks from officials in Australia when she came as a permanent resident less than a month later and a few more funny looks at the hospital pregnancy clinic and also at the birth of our son as she was still just 16 when she gave birth. Before the marriage, her age was not an issue with anyone from licencing, City Hall officials we had interviews with, the Catholic Church head and others. Of course, I didn't know about the age thing and most of the talk was in Tagarbage so it may have escaped me. So, somewhere along the line the mother had submitted papers to a Judge who had approved the marriage of her 16 year old daughter, I just didn't know about it.

Well, that tendency to lie turned out to be the downfall of our marriage after 21 years and four kids. The first 12 years were great but in the first few I had to be like both a husband and a father figure and guide her a little (she never knew a father). After that it stated turning turtle no matter what I tried to save it. I was a house dad for the last many years, to 4 kids while she studied at uni a total of 10 years (with 2 years before to finish yr 11 & 12). She has been a PhD of Applied Science, Chemistry, for several years and is a lecturer and researcher (last I heard) at Q.U.T. uni in Brisbane. So she did well while shitting in her then hubbies face. She had, as reported by two independant witnesses, a relationship with another at the uni while I was trying to save the marriage. I had never been unfaithful... I was always there for the family... I very rarely in fact almost never, had raised my voice or gotten angry (even when I discovered her affair)... I never smoked and didn't drink alcohol... The kids were very close to me and raised in a loving atmosphere... I had sacrificed and worsened my several permanent injuries in buying 9,000s.m and building (about half or more of it myself, alone) a 700 sq mt house with almost no mortgage Go figure these stupid women. I am now married in Cebu with 3 lovely kids and a really terrific lady. And to cap off this story, it's very unusual and quite funny but after I committed to my new wife I found out her actual birthday date is the exact same as my first wife and the same Chinese birth sign also (albeit 12 years later) Go figure again?

So, am I a pedophile? Not a chance and besides, I can't even spell the word.

Cipro
just one thing i found while browsing through is the assumption that one could marry a girl/woman under the consent age. Technically yes, but if found out, and it eventually will be found out, the person will be in great danger. Not only because the marriage is simply invalid, but also because he will be prosecuted, even many years after. Fault or not fault, that does not matter in the law. One is guilty even when cheated by the bride and under the assumption that the papers are correct.

I still wonder how that would stack up against the fact that a foreign marriage is honored in PH if it was legal in the country the ceremony was performed in. Would a guy having relations with his legally recognized wife be prosecutable? I doubt it.

KennyF

These men described in the above posts are pedophiles and ought to be treated as such. Regardless of the laws. There are the laws of a country and laws of men and women. The only reason they are in PH sniffing around for prepubescents is that they cannot do so freely in their home countries. And therefore have to travel a great distance to find people so desperate to escape poverty that they are wiling to sell their daughters. And let's not shake our fingers at these poor families, for their complicity is negligible; no, the Westerners have all the cards and always will have all the cards.

Neither of those situations are like some that have been discussed previously on this site where despite some revulsion on my part, it feels at least ok to allow that "to each his own" or "whatever makes him happy" is warranted. But in these cases, the very laws of nature have been subverted.

Why must we coddle those who are obviously criminals? Let us make a distinction where it is necessary and not be afraid to call a spade a spade. Grown men should not be messing around with adolescents.

I take it that you don't get out all that much.

KinP

Paul

First, I guess certain members' statements make me, as well as others here, pedophiles. After all, my girlfriend is more than 25 years my junior, although she is of legal age. She is between the ages of my two children, which currently are 15 and 20. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Now, do you people realize how ridiculous that sounds? A person is a pedophile even though his girlfriend or wife is of legal age? Who cares, as long as they are happy together? It's their life to live, not yours, mine, or anyone else's.

Now, the primary purpose of my thread was to make sure that others know that, no matter what, the legal age to marry a Filipino national in the Philippines, is 18. Marrying anyone under the age of 18 years will make the marriage null and void, not to mention being illegal to do in the first place.

Now, let's please stay on topic.

Cipro
Now, the primary purpose of my thread was to make sure that others know that, no matter what, the legal age to marry a Filipino national in the Philippines, is 18. Marrying anyone under the age of 18 years will make the marriage null and void, not to mention being illegal to do in the first place.

Now, let's please stay on topic.

No one has addressed the question of Filipinos legally married outside the borders of PH. The law seems to explicitly say those are honored back in the PH. Is this incorrect or a loophole?

SkyMan

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe there are provisions in Philippine law allowing underage pregnant girls to marry. The families of the pregnant girl will generally not file a case against the father if he marries her. I don't know if that is Al's case but maybe.

That's what I was thinking, "maybe I'll be able to get it all done this time" or a myriad other reasons to say maybe for things out of ones control.

Yes, whenever red tape (and particularly an interview with a possibly random outcome) is involved it's always a maybe.

SkyMan

just imagine, someone marries a girl on her 18th birthday. the day before she would be 17. only a technical day separates the difference.

But it's an important day. Commit armed robbery the day before your 18th BDay and you'll go to Juvenile Hall for a while. Do it the day later and you're going to big boy prison for a long time.

Cipro

But it's an important day. Commit armed robbery the day before your 18th BDay and you'll go to Juvenile Hall for a while. Do it the day later and you're going to big boy prison for a long time.

Google "tried as an adult" and see what that does for your theory.

Edited by locktite
JamesMusslewhite

Would this still not be considered a case of Statutory Rape? If he slept with an underage women, whether they are actually married or not?

Cipro

Would this still not be considered a case of Statutory Rape? If he slept with an underage women, whether they are actually married or not?

Most places no, the bond of marriage in most places is recognized as the final word so to speak but I'm not a lawyer and I don't know PH law. However in the USA a married couple is a married couple and that's that.

SkyMan

In some cases yes and 'maybe' with armed robbery but certainly not with say, shoplifting or whatever. There is some legal feeling that on your 18th birthday you are suddenly enlightened with the knowledge of good and evil and so are then responsible for your actions. The fact that a 17 year old who commits 1st degree murder should have to go through additional court procedings in order to get tried as an adult bothers me. I think it should be the other way that someone who commits a violent crime should be tried automatically as an adult unless his defense attorney is able to convince the court they should be tried as a child. That would also be regardless of age so that a 30 year old retarded person could also be tried as a child.

miles-high

The Philippine legal system is a mixture of both the civil law (e.g., Spain) and common law (e.g., U.S.). The former was adopted in the Philippines during the Spanish colonization; the latter brought by the United States during its 46 year rule of the Philippines. But unlike common law, courts in the Philippines "cannot" make laws and the Supreme Court could ignore stare decisis in that they are not bound by the precedents