Illegal marriage?

softail

I think the subject is prone enough to irrational emotion without resorting to hyperbole and inaccurate statements. While the guy who marries a 16 year old MIGHT be considered a child molester, his actions are in no way indicative of pedophilia, and his bride, while perhaps below the age of consent, is not prepubescent unless she is developmentally abnormal.

As for him being a child molester, I wonder what Filipino law has to say about honoring international marriages and whether a man can be charged with having sex with his wife. For instance, if he took the family on vacation to Cambodia and got married there, what would his legal status be I wonder? I suspect the cited law is only covering what sort of marriages can be legally PERFORMED in the PH and probably several other statutes cover what marriages are legally recognized and so on.

Just a guess.

For what it's worth, my grandpa married grandma before she was 18, they had a bunch of kids and lived a long happy life. I never considered him a child molester and still don't.

Just a question. How old was grandpa when he married grandma? Was he 50 or 60 years older than grandma?

Doug and Sally

Edited by Admin
Fixed quotes - Paul
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• Paul

• Headshot

• Cary

Top Posters In This Topic

Cipro

Just a question. How old was grandpa when he married grandma? Was he 50 or 60 years older than grandma?

Doug and Sally

The marriage was legal, which is all we can discuss here.

In actual fact the age of consent in the UK used to be 16,i think it still is,but i havn't checked recently.

Canada too I think, up from 14? But I'm not sure what the age for getting married is, which is what would be on topic and not against the rules to discuss.

These men described in the above posts are pedophiles and ought to be treated as such. Regardless of the laws. There are the laws of a country and laws of men and women. The only reason they are in PH sniffing around for prepubescents is that they cannot do so freely in their home countries. And therefore have to travel a great distance to find people so desperate to escape poverty that they are wiling to sell their daughters. And let's not shake our fingers at these poor families, for their complicity is negligible; no, the Westerners have all the cards and always will have all the cards.

In Canada, the age of consent is 16. In the U.S., its 16-18 depending on the state. Some have an age gap stipulation but some dont..like Arkansas or Indiana. In European countries its the same or even younger so to say "that they cannot do so freely in their home countries...and therefore have to travel a great distance to find people so desperate to escape poverty that they are wiling to sell their daughters" is total bullshit. And for you to also say " And let's not shake our fingers at these poor families" is ridiculous!! THEY made the human, they are responsible to feed and raise them! Dont blame a foreigner for the Catholic church's stance on birth control or some poor hard dick Filipino who cant afford a condom. Some whores are still virgin when they get married because their vagina's are virgin....just their mouth and rectum weren't.

lazydays

The marriage was legal, which is all we can discuss here.

Canada too I think, up from 14? But I'm not sure what the age for getting married is, which is what would be on topic and not against the rules to discuss.

The legal age for marriage in England has been 18 for many years,but i remember back in the 60s/70s couples eloping over the border to Gretna Green in Scotland, where the legal age was 16.I think thats changed now though.

Cipro

In Canada, the age of consent is 16. In the U.S., its 16-18 depending on the state. Some have an age gap stipulation but some dont..like Arkansas or Indiana.

Some whores are still virgin when they get married because their vagina's are virgin....just their mouth and rectum weren't.

South Carolina, 14 I think if you want to get married. Also .... eeeeww.

sperman

i find some posters have a strange attitude about girls under 18 or the "legal age". to many rush for the word peodaphile without thought. i'm not sure where their head(perceptions) are at.

just imagine, someone marries a girl on her 18th birthday. the day before she would be 17. only a technical day separates the difference. girls mature earlier than men generally, but there is always extremes. i've met 19 y.o. that have yet to mature and 16 y.o. that are already mature. i took a bunch of sisters and cousins to a wedding and the 13 y.o.was fully developed physically and quite sensible and open for a relationship with someone. perhaps they lied about her age but it did not seem so. i am sure those who have spent a long time in the PR have seen similar.

somebody in my town met a 15 y.o. went to the house & met the parents, announced his interest, waited till she was 18, took her back to oz and married her. 3 teenage kids later and they are still going strong. so there are a lot of individual factors to take into consideration.

Cipro

i find some posters have a strange attitude about girls under 18 or the "legal age"

People with weak minds are easily swayed by the "wisdom" of the crowd. It's a phenomenon as old, probably, as people.

This response is irrational, and so reactionary, I can't help feeling that it's some kind of a smokescreen.

"hey look at me I hate paedophiles so much I can't possibly be one right?"

He who bleats the loudest often has the most to hide.

A point I had not considered, good point. In any case, pedophilia isn't illegal or even morally wrong. It's just something people like to use as a "I must be right" club in a discussion. The guy in question married the girl and has kids, for crying out loud.

Mailman

EDIT: Removed, as it was off-topic, pointless, and confusing.

Edited by Mailman

I agree with Sperman. It depends. I knew a preacher - - please this is on topic. He was 42 and he met his future wife and she was 17, She just crossed the border from Mexico as an illegal. Anyway 2 years later they were married and now today over 22 years of marriage they have two sons. Both are college graduates and one is an accountant. Again it depends and thats where I say you the parent need to sit the guy down of your daughter brings him home and talk to him and find out what his intentions are. And you wont know just by looking at him.

Jess Bartone

The government, any government, needs to draw the line somewhere, and 18 seems to be a pretty good line... but if a man commits his life to his intended bride with a sincere and open heart, then some small flexibility should be allowed for. The trouble is, there is no way to really know the man's sincerity, or whether the commitment is made with the big head or the little head.

-If you can look yourself in the mirror and be comfortable marrying a girl who not only looks young enough to be your daughter but is in fact chronologically young enough to also be your daughter, be my guest, have at her. But if she's a teenager that won't change my mind one iota that you're a pedophile and ought to be in jail. Most of us men find teenage girls extremely attractive but very few of us would have relations with one. If you're her father, are you comfortable with a man twice your age screwing your daughter? Again, if in that scenario you are, have at it, mon ami. None of what you do or say will persuade me that you don't belong in jail. Is my point becoming clearer? But I will agree, that maturity is a very relative thing and the marriage consent laws are entirely arbitrary. However we have to start somewhere and 21 seems a good starting point.

-Blaming the poor is a predictable stance. But if we are to think clearly about the scenario when an American saunters into Ph, we would recognize that he has the benefit of 1) more education 2) more money 3) more experience. Did I leave something out? Don't tell me Senyor Abasolo in his bahay kubo deserves equal blame for the selling off of his daughter when his circumstances are such that doing so may represent the only glimmer of hope for finding his way out of a bad situation. The American fellow on the other hand has absolutely nothing to lose. I don't condone holding a balisong to his throat however.

Many have referred to the marriage customs of earlier generations. And yes, of course, once upon a time, marrying young was de rigeur. In the US, when agriculture once dominated American lives to an extent few of us can imagine, families needed as many hands as possible so there was pressure from very early on to produce large litters. However, life expectancy at the turn of the 19th/20th century was also about half of what it is today so keep that in mind...couples may have married much younger but they sure as hell died sooner.

Correct Jesse. Again I agree. There needs to be some type of guideline. Whether thats for legal drinking, smoking, whatever. Thats the government/society's duty and they should. But on individual cases because no two cases are exactly the same, thats where I say the family needs to step in, not the government, but the family and see if they can find out if they guy is legit or a Hugh Hefnr copy. And then also as i said the preacher I knew, he waited until his wife got legal aged and the guy that Sperman knew waited. And also they both got family approval as well. To me thats a bonus. But again yes society must set legal guidelines and I say if the guy is sincere he will wait for her as well as get family approval.

The government, any government, needs to draw the line somewhere, and 18 seems to be a pretty good line... but if a man commits his life to his intended bride with a sincere and open heart, then some small flexibility should be allowed for. The trouble is, there is no way to really know the man's sincerity, or whether the commitment is made with the big head or the little head.

Jess Bartone

.....If you're her father, are you comfortable with a man twice your age screwing your daughter?.....

Age difference has been flogged to death in LinC, and in fact is now a banned topic, along with religion and politics... be very careful where you tread on this topic - which is about under age marriage - it is not a platform for you to let everyone know how righteous you are.

If the law says 18, then it's 18...

If the girl and her family are agreeable then so be it, if a man can look at himself in the mirror and feel comfortable about what he is doing then so be it, I know that at my age I personally couldn't but that's a personal thing for the individual to decide, however please let's not talk about flexibility and bending laws, the law is the law and if it is broken then a man should face the consequences of what he has done....

Baywak

I think thats disgusting, 21 is post pedophilia and still in the pedophile category,lets make it 32.:crack-up:

-If you can look yourself in the mirror and be comfortable marrying a girl who not only looks young enough to be your daughter but is in fact chronologically young enough to also be your daughter, be my guest, have at her. But if she's a teenager that won't change my mind one iota that you're a pedophile and ought to be in jail. Most of us men find teenage girls extremely attractive but very few of us would have relations with one. If you're her father, are you comfortable with a man twice your age screwing your daughter? Again, if in that scenario you are, have at it, mon ami. None of what you do or say will persuade me that you don't belong in jail. Is my point becoming clearer? But I will agree, that maturity is a very relative thing and the marriage consent laws are entirely arbitrary. However we have to start somewhere and 21 seems a good starting point.

-Blaming the poor is a predictable stance. But if we are to think clearly about the scenario when an American saunters into Ph, we would recognize that he has the benefit of 1) more education 2) more money 3) more experience. Did I leave something out? Don't tell me Senyor Abasolo in his bahay kubo deserves equal blame for the selling off of his daughter when his circumstances are such that doing so may represent the only glimmer of hope for finding his way out of a bad situation. The American fellow on the other hand has absolutely nothing to lose. I don't condone holding a balisong to his throat however.

Many have referred to the marriage customs of earlier generations. And yes, of course, once upon a time, marrying young was de rigeur. In the US, when agriculture once dominated American lives to an extent few of us can imagine, families needed as many hands as possible so there was pressure from very early on to produce large litters. However, life expectancy at the turn of the 19th/20th century was also about half of what it is today so keep that in mind...couples may have married much younger but they sure as hell died sooner.