Illegal marriage?

Paul

A bit of information regarding legalities of marriage to a Filipino National in the Philippines.

I own a Yahoo Group regarding Living In The Philippines. Recently, this group has become active concerning a topic (which I have banned on this site) regarding age differences.

Anyway, the topic has gone on a tangent regarding marriage. A member then posted a message stating that he had met a girl at 16 years of age, later marrying her at the age of 17. Here is his post, in its entirety:

Hi all, my name is Al, from SC, 58 yo divorce from my American wife of 26 yrs since 2003. I found my wife in the Philippines she's 16 then When I met her and I married her at 17 with her parents permission. You see if the Filipina is below 18 she needs a parent consent to be marry and age 21 is legal adult age. She is now 22, I have 2 kids from her and going back to Philippines today to see them and spend time with them and maybe take care of paperworks to bring them here with me in SC. Have a good Day!! Al

To make something perfectly clear here, it is illegal for a Filipino National to marry under the age of 18 years. From 18 years to 21 years of age, one must get parental consent from a blood parent or legal guardian, prior to marriage. From the age of 21 years, through 25 years of age, one must obtain parental advice (the same form is used for both) from a blood parent or legal guardian.

So, either this guy was flat out lying, or his fiancee at the time, submitted illegal documents showing she was of age to marry.

----------------

EDIT: People have been warned, for the last time, to stay on topic in this thread.

Edited by Admin
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• Paul

• Headshot

• Jess Bartone

Baywak

Paul,seriously,is it illegal now to submit illegal documents in the philippines.I met a late forties american who married a 15 year old in Butuan.All the time he communicated with her by phone and internet he was led to believe she was of age.When he got there to meet her she appeared more then 18.The family wanted him and her to share her bedroom.The next day the father gave him an ultimatum,you will buy me a van and marry my daughter,there are only two roads out of town and if you try to leave on them,you will not make it out of here.He bought a van real quicklike and married her in Butuan.The word legal is very confusing to folks there.Anything that can be done is legal.

softail

quote//I have 2 kids from her and going back to Philippines today to see them and spend time with them and maybe take care of paperworks to bring them here with me in SC. Have a good Day!! Al//quote

This guy sounds like a total loser, he has 2 children with her and they arn't even living togeather as a couple. He is going back to the Philippines to spend some time with them and mabey take care of the paperwork to bring them to the US.

Doug and Sally

Paul

I hear ya, Baywak and understand what you mean.

In this case, this guy from South Carolina apparently married the girl when she was 17, later again when she was 18. If the first marriage was legal, why would he have married her again. For some reason, this "Al" guy either doesn't understand what he did, or was simply crazy enough to post that he had "married" a 17 year old Filipina.

Later, a nut job posted another topic trying to make me look like I didn't know what I was talking about. I proved him wrong too.

Some people just do not get it.

Edited by Admin

Paul,seriously,is it illegal now to submit illegal documents in the philippines.I met a late forties american who married a 15 year old in Butuan.All the time he communicated with her by phone and internet he was led to believe she was of age.When he got there to meet her she appeared more then 18.The family wanted him and her to share her bedroom.The next day the father gave him an ultimatum,you will buy me a van and marry my daughter,there are only two roads out of town and if you try to leave on them,you will not make it out of here.He bought a van real quicklike and married her in Butuan.The word legal is very confusing to folks there.Anything that can be done is legal.

Legal= legal NSO documents with the correct birth date and matching other official documents

What usually happens in the province is that the parents give the daughter away to her future husband. From that date on, he has the responsibility to take care of her. They live together, have sex and often their first child before they even get married officially.

Edited by ckfm
Paul

softail, I didn't even want to address that issue with Al. He was having a difficult enough time not understanding the basics that he could not have legally married his wife at 17.

Edited by Admin
Baywak

In the States,Working to support the family,that's in the Philippines-Many are doing that!?

The "maybe"maybe means The wife maybe does'nt want to move to the USA or a thousand other reasons for Maybe.

Cipro

In the States,Working to support the family,that's in the Philippines-Many are doing that!?

The "maybe"maybe means The wife maybe does'nt want to move to the USA or a thousand other reasons for Maybe.

That's what I was thinking, "maybe I'll be able to get it all done this time" or a myriad other reasons to say maybe for things out of ones control.

These men described in the above posts are pedophiles and ought to be treated as such. Regardless of the laws. There are the laws of a country and laws of men and women. The only reason they are in PH sniffing around for prepubescents is that they cannot do so freely in their home countries. And therefore have to travel a great distance to find people so desperate to escape poverty that they are wiling to sell their daughters. And let's not shake our fingers at these poor families, for their complicity is negligible; no, the Westerners have all the cards and always will have all the cards.

Neither of those situations are like some that have been discussed previously on this site where despite some revulsion on my part, it feels at least ok to allow that "to each his own" or "whatever makes him happy" is warranted. But in these cases, the very laws of nature have been subverted.

Why must we coddle those who are obviously criminals? Let us make a distinction where it is necessary and not be afraid to call a spade a spade. Grown men should not be messing around with adolescents.

Cipro

These men described in the above posts are pedophiles and ought to be treated as such. Regardless of the laws. There are the laws of a country and laws of men and women. The only reason they are in PH sniffing around for prepubescents ...

In what part of the world is a 16 year old prepubescent?

lazydays

I think were in danger of starting to split hairs here.

Under 18 = Illegal.

If you value your freedom and don't like being blackmailed,stay away from under 18s (minors),Simples! :welcome2:

Perhaps you've heard of hyperbole, exaggeration for effect? That was the general idea. In all likelihood there are those men out there who ARE seeking prepubescents but let's not go there.

If that is in fact the sum of your contribution to the subject should I assume you're ok with a mature man screwing a 16 yr old? Or are you merely instigating here? Personally, I find the behavior described above immoral, abhorrent and criminal. And that's the sum of what I wanted to say. Sorry that wasn't made crystal clear.

Hit edit by mistake sorry. Tom

Edited by tom_shor
Cipro

Perhaps you've heard of hyperbole, exaggeration for effect? That was the general idea. In all likelihood there are those men out there who ARE seeking prepubescents but let's not go there.

If that is in fact the sum of your contribution to the subject should I assume you're ok with a mature man screwing a 16 yr old? Or are you merely instigating here? Personally, I find the behavior described above immoral, abhorrent and criminal. And that's the sum of what I wanted to say. Sorry that wasn't made crystal clear.

I think the subject is prone enough to irrational emotion without resorting to hyperbole and inaccurate statements. While the guy who marries a 16 year old MIGHT be considered a child molester, his actions are in no way indicative of pedophilia, and his bride, while perhaps below the age of consent, is not prepubescent unless she is developmentally abnormal.

As for him being a child molester, I wonder what Filipino law has to say about honoring international marriages and whether a man can be charged with having sex with his wife. For instance, if he took the family on vacation to Cambodia and got married there, what would his legal status be I wonder? I suspect the cited law is only covering what sort of marriages can be legally PERFORMED in the PH and probably several other statutes cover what marriages are legally recognized and so on.

Just a guess.

For what it's worth, my grandpa married grandma before she was 18, they had a bunch of kids and lived a long happy life. I never considered him a child molester and still don't.

EDIT:

Found a source:

Applying above rules in specific instances, the following are some illustrations:

a. In case of marriages between persons under eighteen (18) years of age, Philippine family laws consider these marriages valid only if such are allowed by the family laws of the country where celebrated.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4058530

Edited by locktite

Well first i have seen many 16 here i would love to have if i wasn't married ,but of course i would not touch them till they were legal. Now if you look at the history of America,and many other countries many a farmer and city slicker married a girl much younger than 16 and some where our grandmothers . My grand mother was 17 when she married my grandfather, not sure how long they where married but know it was a longer time, pass there fifty years anniversary together as i was there for it.They had 10 girls,two boys , also two that died a child birth. An i know one of my auntie had ten girls also ,and the rest had a few also,so at the 50th anniversary. There was like a few hundred of us there. There last name was Thrower in NC ,look in some towns there are a lot of Throwers. So out of there little love life, wonderful life is all over the USA, Yes i know we live in a different age now so ,we have different standards .Not sure this things today are better or worse than the old folks way of life!!!

lazydays

In actual fact the age of consent in the UK used to be 16,i think it still is,but i havn't checked recently.