Banks on Siragao Island?

PapaRay

Any one from siragao island that can tell me what banks are there? I'm relocating there in 2013 with my wife and we are trying to figure out what to do. Right now we are planning on having our retirement deposited her, write a check there and depositing it into a local bank. Hard to tell which one to use there

digiteye

There

udonthani

not the first time I've observed somebody from eastern Europe showing a native speaker how to spell and use English.

digiteye

not the first time I've observed somebody from eastern Europe showing a native speaker how to spell and use English.

ha?

udonthani

siragao island

it doesn't exist. Get the spelling right otherwise it causes confusion.

digiteye

That was a typo error for sure.

lazydays

Digiteye is correct,there are no Banks on Siargao Island,you are truly in the Boondocks there.

udonthani

That was a typo error for sure.

how come you never make them?

JamesMusslewhite

how come you never make them?

He's a Doctor. They are articulate when they type, it is only when they write long-hand that every thing is screwed up.

lazydays

He's a Doctor. They are articulate when they type, it is only when they write long-hand that every thing is screwed up.

When they write long hand its in code,lol. :)

BossHog

Hi Ray.

There are plenty of banks on Siargao. The extent of services they offer might be the issue.

Dapa, the main port town, has a half dozen and one even has an atm. It's linked to a Philippines-only banking network, However. If you open an account at the branch on the mainland, i.e. Surigao, and have your funds deposited into that bank monthly from overseas then you will be able to access your $ monthly without making repeated boat trips to the mainland. I know a few retirees who do just that.

Money changers, Western Union, and Moneygram outlets are fairly easy to locate.

If you know where on Siargao you're moving to I'd be happy to list the banks operating in that location.

BossHog

Actually Mrs. Hog has just reminded me that the Green Bank in Dapa now has an international ATM.

It's next to the Petron gas station a few minutes on foot from the port and jeepney terminal.

Be aware that brown-outs, black-outs, power cuts and outtages are legendary here, so of course the machines are often off-line

stevehann

When I was there about 3 years ago for a brief stay, there was a foreign resort owner who was giving cash advances from credit cards, but he was charging 10%. It looked like getting cash there for most foreigners required a trip to Surigao.

PapaRay

Hi Ray.

....If you know where on Siargao you're moving to I'd be happy to list the banks operating in that location.

Will be either Gen Luna or Libertad. Wife is from there and that is were our kids and grand kids live

udonthani

Hi Ray.

There are plenty of banks on Siargao. The extent of services they offer might be the issue.

Dapa, the main port town, has a half dozen and one even has an atm. It's linked to a Philippines-only banking network, However. If you open an account at the branch on the mainland, i.e. Surigao, and have your funds deposited into that bank monthly from overseas then you will be able to access your $ monthly without making repeated boat trips to the mainland. I know a few retirees who do just that.

Money changers, Western Union, and Moneygram outlets are fairly easy to locate.

If you know where on Siargao you're moving to I'd be happy to list the banks operating in that location.

why don't you just tell them the truth, namely that the financial infrastructure on Siargao and the wider Philippines is just totally appalling and that they don't have any ATM's yet that the foreigners, that want to spend foreign exchange, can use?

so many potential foreign visitors, have taken one look at the Philippines, realised that the foreign exchange infrastructure is noticeably poor (it really stands out for being bad, compared to its neighbours), and just gone somewhere else.