Sign in to follow this  
tuanj

Any fluent expats?

SkyMan

Being a teacher teaching the Cebuano language to expats, I have observed different factors that affect the learner's pace of learning.

4. Age = this is what people usually give as a reason but I don't believe it because most of my students are already in their 50's and some are in their 60's but when I discuss things with them, they understand it right away and can give their own examples.

I guess they attribute the problem to their age when they begin to forget the lesson.

Angie, I'm not sure if there's much language learning diffence between ages of 70s to 40s or even 20s but it has been proven that the brain is much more receptive to learning languages in the 4 to 13 age bracket and then it fades from there. That doesn't mean a 90 yo can't learn a new language but he has to work harder at it.

SkyMan

Angie - simple question. Do you find that females learn faster than men? I think the answer will be yes, but it would be interesting to have your opinion.

Before Angie answers this let me jump in and conjecture that she probably doesn't have a lot of female students and those she does are probably younger on average than her male students. I think hands down the biggest factor will be motivation to learn. I'll shut up now and let Angie answer.

Ozepete

This guy has a few tips...

Cheers..

Candyman

This guy has a few tips...

Cheers..

That is a great clip ! Thanks for sharing !

mello874

One at my house.