Are we next?

Easyrider

A lot of people in the Philippines and in other countries live at the base mountains and then wonder why almost every year mud covers some of their homes and loved ones.

When I moved to the Philippines, I read a lot of good things about living in Davao City in Mindanao so I was interested in living there until I looked at a map. Mt. Apo is very close to Davao City. With all of the earthquakes and volcanic activity going on in the world and in Asia, a person would be a fool to live that close to a very large volcano, unless they are ready to loose everything they have and maybe die.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Alan S

• sperman

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Yes, but where?

300px-ISS_solar_arrays.jpg

easy44

Yes, but where?

Whilst the majority of earthquakes occur near the edges of fault lines, some happen in "safe" areas, even in the middle of plates.

And then there are "super-volcanos". If, for example, Yellowstone goes "pop" as it has done before, then, well, goodbye USA!

THere are other hazards, that may, or may not, happen.

The fact is that life is a risk, and no matter what anyone does, it is still a risk.

So, get on with living and enjoying what you have, while you can.

That's why I used the word "safer" not "safe".

Markham

When I moved to the Philippines, I read a lot of good things about living in Davao City in Mindanao so I was interested in living there until I looked at a map. Mt. Apo is very close to Davao City. With all of the earthquakes and volcanic activity going on in the world and in Asia, a person would be a fool to live that close to a very large volcano, unless they are ready to loose everything they have and maybe die.

Did your research include finding out when Mount Apo last erupted and how frequently it does so? The answer is - there have been no eruptions since records began some 500+ years ago and local geologists believe that the last eruption was closer to 700 years ago. But we fools that choose to live here would much rather that you keep to your western risk-averse ways and stay away!

Mark

Baywak

God put Mt.Apo near Davao to keep an overload of foreigners away.Neurotics move to cebu and live right on the fault line.:biggrin_01:

Alan S

Mount Pinatubo hadnt erupted for 500 or 600 years, but decided to do so just when I was in the area.

There is at least one fault line running through Manila, which isnt good news for anyone there, should it happen to "do something".

Anywhere in that region MIGHT be at risk, depending upon the nature of the event, but I wouldnt rate anywhere as totally safe.

(But neither is much of California, and lots of people live there.)

udonthani

it stands to reason that the Phils is surely a candidate for a big quake or tsunami somewhere. The last big quake that actually got reported in international news in the Philippines was as long ago as 1976, Mindanao quake and tsunnami, 8,000 killed. Of course, there's been other natural disasters since that have been considered newsworthy enough to interest outsiders, volcanic eruptions, floods, etc but no quakes. They're overdue for one, and I think the Filipino vulcanogists and earthquake/tsunami people know it.

udonthani

There is at least one fault line running through Manila, which isnt good news for anyone there, should it happen to "do something".(But neither is much of California, and lots of people live there.)

there's the 'Marakina Fault', apparently, according to this

Marikina Valley Fault Line 'ripe for movement'

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/309766/marikina-valley-fault-line-ripe-movement-phivolcs

Wombat No More

Nothing has changed in a lot of millions of years.

The risks are still the same as before any of us were born.

And, as before, one just has to be unlucky (or stupid in some cases) to be caught up in an event such as has been happening since earth came into being.

We can talk about this until blue in the face but nothing will change, there will be continuing events as is the nature of earth, unless a bloody great asteroid or such slams into our planet.

udonthani

Luzon usually gets most of the shit. It's like their pennance for being the unfortunate dudes that have to attempt to govern the rest of the country.

sperman

300px-ISS_solar_arrays.jpg

that may not be safe either. according to the hopi indians the "house in the sky" will fall down at some stage. so take your parachute.:scratch_head:

sperman

its possible the philippines is already not safe due to another source. i came across this map which may be food for thought. it shows radioactive cloud reaching the edge of the philippines. the info comes from a dr.chris busby.

post-7573-0-86767100-1300932924_thumb.jpg

Alan S

The US and Canada are far more at risk than the Philippines.

And for them, the risk is minimal.

udonthani

a force 7 quake ripping through the Marikina Valley fault will cause probably about twenty times more damage than one through the San Andreas. Even apart from all the shoddy buildings that will crumble (none of San Francisco's skyscrapers will) the NCR is the economic lifeblood of the entire nation and the Philippines would take a generation to recover.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

that may not be safe either. according to the hopi indians the "house in the sky" will fall down at some stage. so take your parachute.:thumbs_up:

yeah

but what a way to go :steve: