Are we next?

SkyMan

796px-Pacific_Ring_of_Fire.svg.png

With recent the recent seismic activity on NZ and Japan, it's not hard to see we're right in between on the Ring of Fire. We even have our own trench which I believe to be a factor in the creation of Tsunamis and we have 2 of the recently active volcanos pictured in this map from wikipedia. I think the Philippines may see some activity soon so you may want to think about that when you decide where to live. I think Cebu itself is fairly safe from Tsunami but earthquakes are another story. Personally I'll go whenever and however I'm called but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I personally would rather be on the giving side than the receiving side where rescue efforts are concerned.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan S

• udonthani

• Cary

• easy44

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stranded Shipscook

earthquakes and Volcanos will always be a part of the Philippines.

same in california

Yvette Cebu888

Wherever we go.. We go be the next. Therefore: We should be ready anytime :scratch_head:

Mrs Bundy

Hard to know, what's going on in the world we live in now .

With all the disaster that's happening we dont know which country will be next.

I'm watching TFC this morning and one of there topic saying " With all the disaster that's happening is this the sign that the world

are about to end". No one really know's.

I hope and pray that philippines will always be safe.

But it's also good to always be prepared...

smokey

when its your time its your time

JamesMusslewhite
poster-hell-yes-800.jpg
musicman666

lapu lapu will get totally swamped out even with a small tsunami wave ...just like pipi island off pukett!

JamesMusslewhite

What if a quake of this magnitude were to hit Cebu? How may homes on the hills would instantly become merely a pile of rubble at their base?How may home would crumble and how many blocks of rowed shanty homes would simply burn?

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Alan S

Cebu and the islands to the west of it are (relatively) stable as they are on one plate, not on or adjacent to a plate edge.

Of course, a tsunami is a different matter, but there, Cebu is fortunate in being shielded by other islands so would may not get such high surges.

However, any, even a minor event such as a fraction of what has happened in Japan would be a major disaster for any of the less-industrialised or poorer nations.

The risk is everywhere, and especially so around geologically active areas such as the ring of fire, some of the Mediterranean , etc.

Just a fact of life.

(Or death.)

Guenther had a great post the other day about how the buildings here in the RP are. I can only hope that he is right when the time comes. The RP will be hit, the only question is when. And just by the eye tests I fear that we will be like Haiti if the leadership here does not take more preventable measures.

dirtsquirter

The OP says- Quote- " I think the Philippines may see some activity soon, so you may want to think about that when you decide where to live" end quote. How in God's good name do you know this?? I would love to have access to your crystal ball, as I have a few other things I would love to know- like who is going to win the next superbowl?

Headshot

The OP says- Quote- " I think the Philippines may see some activity soon, so you may want to think about that when you decide where to live" end quote. How in God's good name do you know this?? I would love to have access to your crystal ball, as I have a few other things I would love to know- like who is going to win the next superbowl?

Even though I am NOT the OP, I will answer your question. Green Bay. The second dynasty begins...

Fault zones are stress inter-related. When the stress is eased on one section, it increases on adjacent sections. What the OP was saying is that New Zealand, Indonesia and Japan sections have released, so the Philippines section may be next. Of course, there is no way of knowing whether it will release this year or in a hundred years...but it WILL release. The Marianas Trench and the Philippine Trench are there because there is one hell of a lot of built-up tension. Sooner or later, one or both WILL pop. If the faults in either one of these trenches release, it will NOT be a good day for the Philippines.

Closer at hand, there are numerous fault lines running through the Philippines. Somebody said the Philippines doesn't need to worry because it is on the Asian Plate. Well, so is Japan. Besides, just like Japan, the part of the Asian plate where the Philippines sits is highly fractured. Any one of these "side faults" could produce a 7.0 earthquake. A 7.0 is plenty strong enough to flatten this entire place. Most of the construction here is totally unsuitable for a seismic area...and here we are in the middle of one. There are major fault lines running through the Bohol Strait and the Tanon Strait. If one of the faults in the Bohol Strait goes, so goes Mactan Island.

You can live in denial if you want. Many people do. People live on the slopes of "inactive" volcanoes all over the world, and are then "surprised" when the volcano becomes active and wipes out their homes (and often their loved ones). But if an earthquake occurs while you are living here, don't pretend you had no idea this could happen to you. It can. It is wise to build, buy or rent with earthquakes, volcanoes and typhoons in mind if you want to avoid the worst consequences of living on these islands. Find a place where you will be least affected (nowhere near a volcano and not on tsunami vulnerable land). Then, make sure your structure is built to withstand those things that modern architecture is capable of withstanding. Most buildings here are NOT built to withstand ANY of these hazards.

easy44

Living here is kind of like living in California, where I lived for most of my life. You know it's gonna happen sooner or later and you can take a few precautions like choosing suitable housing. But for the most part you just have to hope it doesn't happen any time soon. The alternative is moving somewhere safer, which would mean somewhere outside the Philippines. Like everything else in life it's a judgment call. Is it worth the risk or not?

Edited by easy44
Alan S
The alternative is moving somewhere safer,

Yes, but where?

Whilst the majority of earthquakes occur near the edges of fault lines, some happen in "safe" areas, even in the middle of plates.

And then there are "super-volcanos". If, for example, Yellowstone goes "pop" as it has done before, then, well, goodbye USA!

THere are other hazards, that may, or may not, happen.

The fact is that life is a risk, and no matter what anyone does, it is still a risk.

So, get on with living and enjoying what you have, while you can.