Sign in to follow this  
Stranded Shipscook

baking oven

Stranded Shipscook

Anybody has ever tried to build a stone baking oven with sucess ?

For Pizza, bread and other stuff.

Pictures would be appreciated too, because they are better than drawings and descriptions for the Pinoy builder.

Thanks in advance

fred42

Yes I have!!

Search Google for FORNO BRAVO and join the forum.. Everything you ever needed to know about building a pizza oven right there..

mikejwoodnz

"Build it and they will come" - absolutely go for this project thumbs_up.gif

Stranded Shipscook

Yes I have!!

Search Google for FORNO BRAVO and join the forum.. Everything you ever needed to know about building a pizza oven right there..

i will try, but already by now i see the next problem- where do i get suitable bricks ?Coz i decided on a brick version

Edited by Guenther

fred42

I used clay bricks as the Romans did...You need to insulate the outside and underneath the hearth or oven floor with at least 3 to 4 " of Perlite..

I have 9 rice sacks of it in Manila which Im having trouble shipping to Bohol as the shipping company say they need a cert from the DENR before they can accept it.. The only other way to get Perlite or vermiculite is via garden centers.. Where I am it can only be bought in small 1 KG bags for about 100.00 PHP per bag..

Having said that,my oven even though not insulated properly can cook a family sized pizza in one minute flat at about 900 degrees and the bricks turn white inside.. Once I get the perlite here I will have a go at smelting Nickel ore!! lol.

I usually cook about 10 large pizzas one at a time on our pizza nights.

Edited by fred42

Wombat No More

i will try, but already by now i see the next problem- where do i get suitable bricks ?Coz i decided on a brick version

My Aussie mate behind my place, (the one making cane furniture) has built one in his wife's bar. I helped him transporting the fire bricks about 3 years ago and while they are only about 35 to 40mm thick (with other dimensions about normal brick size), they were about (?) P6 or P7 each and cheaper than where I also saw some the other day at P9 in Banilad. In Consolation is where we got them, left side but I couldn't describe how far along as it has been too long ago to remember for me. I would have to troll along the highway looking. The tile store I saw the bricks in at P9, were in the same street as Mandaue Foam but on the opposite side of A.S. Fortuna, and about halfway along on the left travelling towards the next major road after the latter.

I hope that helps. Oh, and the fire bricks are an orange terra cotta shade of colour.

Markham

These guys in Valencia, Bukidnon, manufacture fire bricks. Each brick is 8x4x4 (inches) and they're not at all expensive.

Mark

Wombat No More

These guys in Valencia, Bukidnon, manufacture fire bricks. Each brick is 8x4x4 (inches) and they're not at all expensive.

Mark

Interesting... However, as in many things in the Philippines, these "fire bricks" are obviously misnamed as the site does not reveal a single oven constructed from fire bricks or a brick (fire) for constructing one... Instead, what is revealed are "fireD bricks" and used for house building as in our own countries ie, 'clay fired bricks'... These bricks from Mindanao have some other products mixed in with them but they certainly look like a clay house brick, albeit a second quality type but ok, especially as bricks seem to be completely unavailable in this country otherwise. Still well worth looking into further and getting some prices, delivered Cebu, for building projects.

Markham

Interesting... However, as in many things in the Philippines, these "fire bricks" are obviously misnamed as the site does not reveal a single oven constructed from fire bricks or a brick (fire) for constructing one... Instead, what is revealed are "fireD bricks" and used for house building as in our own countries ie, 'clay fired bricks'... These bricks from Mindanao have some other products mixed in with them but they certainly look like a clay house brick, albeit a second quality type but ok, especially as bricks seem to be completely unavailable in this country otherwise. Still well worth looking into further and getting some prices, delivered Cebu, for building projects.

There are only two brickworks that I know of, one in Bukidnon and the other is in Metro Manila. Having seen samples from both companies, the Bukidnon bricks are a much higher quality, are very dense and you'd definitely need a good brick saw or angle-grinder to cut them. These bricks are used in construction on Mindanao in place of CHB and only available in one size - 8x4x4 inches.

The Manila bricks are much softer, chip easily and intended for decorative - rather than structural - use. Two sizes are available - 8x4x2 and 8x4x1 - and priced roughly the same per brick and twice the price of Bukidnon bricks.

Mark