Serious Discussion About LinC

Bob Ward

• Admin (Retired)
broden

one last note on thread closures that some may not be aware of

threads that have gone unposted to for a predetermined about of time, several months at least

autolock

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Art

• Bob Ward

• Davaoeno

• Stranded Shipscook

I agree wholeheartedly! You nave run a good ship for the most part and I respect you for that. You support the mods and admins, to a fault some times, but I respect that as I did when I moderated here.

Unlike Shadow, I have been banned here, and I deserved that. I will now apologize to you for my overzealous reaction from the past!

What you well know is that moderators suffer from many types of issues. Moderator/Admin burn out, taught to me by Billy. New mod power trips. Injecting personal views in moderation duties. You know the rest!

As you have stated previously, we have a newer breed of members here that posses some good reasoning skills, good experience in the Philippines and keen insights on various topics. We need to nurture them and embrace those abilities while respecting their respective thoughts, even if they have ideas about the forum in general.

Cheers! I hope this thread will evolve into a positive thing for the forum in general!

I must say I am totaly agree with you. Whatever that means, not beeing in the forumelite. Yes, thats right, there is a forum elite in all forums of a certain level of memberships.

I have been banned from the site, I have been banned from topics and, yes I deserved it. I have no problem with that. I have allways been treated in a fair way and allowed back in after the bans.

There have to be rules and the mods/admins are in their full right to do their job offcourse with the backing of the founder. If this was not the case it would have been anarki!

So that leaves me to post that I have respect not only for the founder but also to those who take the not so glamorous job as a mod/admin.

There is a BUT however.

Like some other, not elite members, here, I also have seen a tendensy from mods/admins to go OT/sarcastic/ironic/flaming without anyone point the finger AT THEM! Anyway, beeing a mod/admin schould

be a job that makes you stay within the rules yourself and even be more careful than the normal members. In my mind there are some very good and respected mods/admins here, by me anyway, but there,s also some that klick the ban/close button way to soon and those are the ones that need to take a look at their own posting.

Anyway, my humble score to this board is 8 out of 10. :scratch_head:

The 2 downpoints can reflect to the above and some other minor issues.

You guys are a long winded lot. lol. Why don't the mod's take a cue from their (our) supreme leader. (this was taken from another thread).

What the hell do these posts have to do with the OP?

GET ON TOPIC

Easy peasy. But no they gots to get all involved and delate posts, lock threads then cry about how over worked they are. :-) I say that with a big smile.

And furthermore, I don't think I've ever sent a pm to a mod or admin. What in tar nation are you guys going on about in these PM's?? Leave them alone. I sure would love to read them though.

johnormoc

I recently had a post in another thread deleted due to me relating my experiences with corrupt officials numerous times while in the Philippines. The moddy was polite and explained why the post was deleted. I understand their logic and I have no problem with that.

But what I do find irritating is that with all the problems in the Phils, government workers apparently have so little to do that they surf expat web boards looking for disparaging comments from foreigners about the country and then try to go heavy handed on the web site owners. To me, this is even more corruption on top of the oceans of corruption that already exist there. If there is a unique way to be corrupt, they will find it.

And to not be able to make a comment on the corruption, in other words be censored regarding the issue, leaves a false sense that there is little to no corruption in the country. This is a disservice to people who come to this board for valuable, honest information on the Philippines. If the information is sanitized, then why bother coming?

This post will probably be deleted also. lol.

To keep it from being deleted let me add the caveat that all Pinoy government officials are 100% honest and not only live solely on their salary but they donate 75% of what they earn to orphanages and women's shelters. In fact they are all Saints guaranteed to go to Heaven with flowers, candy and rainbows bursting from their golden arses.

Davaoeno

Re your comment that " a lot more people view this forum than just us expats" . I have never seen any proof of that . I have never seen anything from this forum quoted by the governor, by the PNP, by the NBI, by the prosecutors office, by Ella joy's family, by Ella Joy's neighbours- or in fact by anyone else- including the press. Would you please advise us as to who these " lot more people" are ??

I think that we attribute ourselves with having way more importance than we actually do.

if it wasnt for the libel laws here then im sure admin would allow a lot more ...but the ella case has highlighted the fact that a lot more people view this forum than just us expats... i think its cool that the dk which is offline to anyone but us and can be used to vent and i cant see whats so unreasonable in the light of whats going on in the bigger picture.

Cipro
To keep it from being deleted let me add the caveat that all Pinoy government officials are 100% honest and not only live solely on their salary but they donate 75% of what they earn to orphanages and women's shelters. In fact they are all Saints guaranteed to go to Heaven with flowers, candy and rainbows bursting from their golden arses.

Where do the rainbows and candy come from on the Pinay government officials? Same same?

Davaoeno

I'm feeling left out guys !! So many of you have come forward and told how at some time you were banned [ altho like all good children you then go on to say how you appreciate that it was for your own good !!!]

I have never been banned - and now I am feeling like such a p*ssy because of that. It almost as if its a badge of honor to be able to say " i got banned before " !! Seems like in high school where being one of " the bad boys" gave you a certain enviable reputation.

Dvo-kano raised the point about posters just giving up [ and i presume becoming lurkers ]. And many of them seem to have done so quite effectively [ unlike UZI of course who just could NOT stay away for more than a week ! lol But we did miss him :dreams: ]

When I joined people regularly got into fights and threw hissy fits- but eventually things worked their way out . Sometimes pleasantly- sometimes not so.

But now the big threat is " you'll be banned if you arent a good boy " , or else the thread just plain disappears into the closed file.

Sorry folks but you are becoming very BORING !!! I think we can expect a lot more escapees .

Paul

Re your comment that " a lot more people view this forum than just us expats" . I have never seen any proof of that . I have never seen anything from this forum quoted by the governor, by the PNP, by the NBI, by the prosecutors office, by Ella joy's family, by Ella Joy's neighbours- or in fact by anyone else- including the press. Would you please advise us as to who these " lot more people" are ??

I think that we attribute ourselves with having way more importance than we actually do.

I assure you, employees of the US Embassy monitored the archived Living In Cebu Forum, as well as Cebu City government employees. This forum is a lot more active than that one was, so I am quite sure they still do.

mpt1947

Exactly what I would expect from a newbie! Thanks for sharing!

Or is this Mike S?

I am pretty sure the bolded remark was made in jest - but if I were a new poster and I read that I would say WTF I don't need this Sh*t before 7 AM on a Friday morning.

You started a topic to have a serious conversation, and then you slam someone because you didn't like his contribution - and again even if in your mind it was just a joke and HeyMike understands it to be a joke, it is that guy with two posts wondering what the hell is going on. And that is the guy that Paul has to worry about

mpt1947

Michael is not Mike S. Michael lives in Barili and has been living in the Philippines about as long as you have, I believe. five years or so?

---------------------

I am going to have the staff ease up on simply closing threads.

However, on the other side of that double bitted axe, and in order to keep the threads more manageable, I will ask them to make it a point to delete off-topic posts in the given threads.

I hope the members will be okay with this solution.

Paul,

I kind of hope I fall into the category of the members who try have reasoned posts - if not whatever,

if I join a discussion on why the Judge had the SUV Returned to the Owner, and then start talking about gas mileage - that would be off topic and should be closed.

Do you PM to let me know that the post is to be closed? Will I have an opportunity to start a new Topic on Gas Mileage of SUV's used in Kidnappings?

I guess my point is, some times posts naturally go off Topic and the new thread is more interesting than the OP - it would be unfair for the OP to have his/her thread closed, but for many, the new thread is more interesting and more relevant to the discussion and should also be left open -

Cipro

Paul,

I kind of hope I fall into the category of the members who try have reasoned posts - if not whatever,

if I join a discussion on why the Judge had the SUV Returned to the Owner, and then start talking about gas mileage - that would be off topic and should be closed.

Do you PM to let me know that the post is to be closed? Will I have an opportunity to start a new Topic on Gas Mileage of SUV's used in Kidnappings?

I guess my point is, some times posts naturally go off Topic and the new thread is more interesting than the OP - it would be unfair for the OP to have his/her thread closed, but for many, the new thread is more interesting and more relevant to the discussion and should also be left open -

One thing I've done other places is take my off-topic comment to a new thread but leave a "leader" link, some text that briefly starts the thought and links to the new thread, in the original. It takes some work, as you have to have the idea, start the NEW thread, then go BACK and insert the leader and link.

But it's effective some places.

mpt1947

But what I do find irritating is that with all the problems in the Phils, government workers apparently have so little to do that they surf expat web boards looking for disparaging comments from foreigners about the country and then try to go heavy handed on the web site owners. To me, this is even more corruption on top of the oceans of corruption that already exist there. If there is a unique way to be corrupt, they will find it.

No they probably do the same thing that is done in the US - and other countries - they look for Key words or Phrases - if they pop up they read the posts in more detail to see if there are any remarks that they don't want out on the World Wide Web.

One way to control what is being said, is to suggest to Board Owners, that they may be in jeopardy if they don't do a better job in regulating their membership -

I am not trying to kissass.gif But I have no reason to doubt Paul's explanation as to why there seems to be some heavy handed moderating of these boards

mpt1947

At 7:30 AM Friday March 11th there is one User (me) 6 guests and one anonymous user. Who are the Guests and Who is the Anonymous User? Are they Uzi Lurking or someone else -

I agree, I doubt that anyone is going to quote anyone from this board on what we may or may not say, but 6 months from now if you and Paul receive a summons regarding statements made about a high ranking police officials handling of this case - then maybe we can discuss why the moderators are being cautious

Davaoeno

Here's my challenge to you- show me even just one court case in this country where a poster on a forum was charged with an offence- or even sued civally over such a post . Any time- anywhere- in this country.

If you can do that I will change my opinion of your statement from "paranoid" - to pragmatic ! lol

At 7:30 AM Friday March 11th there is one User (me) 6 guests and one anonymous user. Who are the Guests and Who is the Anonymous User? Are they Uzi Lurking or someone else -

I agree, I doubt that anyone is going to quote anyone from this board on what we may or may not say, but 6 months from now if you and Paul receive a summons regarding statements made about a high ranking police officials handling of this case - then maybe we can discuss why the moderators are being cautious

Jess Bartone
We would not want this to wind up like Tanzania, Egypt or Libya!

... or even Tunisia.

i still say the whole tone changed with that ella case!!

Quite right... I think I am not alone when I say I felt a subtle "shift" in the overall "persona" of the forums. The subject matter is abhorrent and any parent (or anyone with a heart) has a right to feel outraged, but that outrage was only intensified by the bumbling and egocentric mishandling of the case.

..... Would you please advise us as to who these " lot more people" are ??.....

No way to do that... at the peak of the discussion I noticed at the bottom of the page something like "3 members and 32 guests are viewing this topic". This is an open forum, viewable to anyone with an internet connection.

.....I have never been banned - and now I am feeling like such a p*ssy because of that. It almost as if its a badge of honor to be able to say " i got banned before " !! Seems like in high school where being one of " the bad boys" gave you a certain enviable reputation.

I have walked the line on at least 2 occasions, when my indignation overrode my good sense... I have no plan to be banned and I do not see it as any kind of "badge of honour". I like this place and I have made some good friends... friends with whom I hope in future to develop a "real" friendship rather than just the cyberspace variety. If I was to be banned, I would risk losing that connection, and equally importantly. I would lose the only place I have to express my feelings and opinions uninterrupted, in a time when people in the "real" world have no time for meaningful conversation... and anyway, if I signed up under an alias, members would recognise my style after the first half-dozen (or less) posts.