Serious Discussion About LinC

Bob Ward

Bob Ward

With the recent discussions and tensions regarding over moderation and forum operations, I thought I would start a calm, yet open discussion on the matter.

What prompted my doing this was the thread Shadow started regarding foreigner half intelligence, where he chided me about inferring that all foreigner here had half a brain at least. At the same time there was a second train of thought regarding the OT discussions in a couple of other threads. I responded in kind with like minded kidding and then we were threatened with banning. To my understanding anyway!

So it has been stated by Paul that without posters and their contributions there would be NO forum. In that light I ask the following serious questions.

IF the members and their contributions are the lifeblood of this or any forum, why are our concerns tossed aside with the attitude that it's my way of the highway?

Why are we threatened with banning for making a few snide or laughable comments?

When the majority of involved people ask that a thread be left alone to evolve (one that has not degraded into disrespect or dishonor) in it's own way are our requests brushed aside like we don't matter? Although it is right and good that management has ultimate control, does it really hurt things to let the members have a say in things?

If others have questions in the same light, ask here so that we can get some ideas as to what this forum should stand for in our, the valued members, point of view.

The results may not be freedom of speech, but at least the concerns will be heard by the administration. We would not want this to wind up like Tanzania, Egypt or Libya!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Art

• Bob Ward

• Davaoeno

• Jess Bartone

musicman666

if it wasnt for the libel laws here then im sure admin would allow a lot more ...but the ella case has highlighted the fact that a lot more people view this forum than just us expats... i think its cool that the dk which is offline to anyone but us and can be used to vent and i cant see whats so unreasonable in the light of whats going on in the bigger picture.

Edited by musicman666
Paul

The members are the lifeblood of a forum, Bob. But, they can't just wreak havoc and post anything they wish. There are rules to follow, and to stay within. If they don't, there will be an action taken, depending on the infraction.

Bob Ward

if it wasnt for the libel laws here then im sure admin would allow a lot more ...but the ella case has highlighted the fact that a lot more people view this forum than just us expats... i think its cool that the dk which is offline to anyone but us and can be used to vent and i cant see whats so unreasonable in the light of whats going on in the bigger picture.

If I was still a moderator, I would remove this post as OT!

Nobody mentioned libel laws or who is lurking. It's about whether the "valued" members have a say at all?

shadow

I think you addressed most of the pertinent issues. As I stated in another post (which was probably deleted) only once in many years of forums have I encountered such heavy moderation. I no longer post on the other board with such heavy handed tactics.

I am afraid I have done the limit here too. Instead of threatening again to ban me, please just do it if my posts offend the board so terribly. If this is the way this forum is to be run, then you do not need my input here at all. Sorry, I am not one that has ever taken threats very well, there are many people who can attest to that, and I have been threatened here more than enough.

Larry in Dumaguete

musicman666

If I was still a moderator, I would remove this post as OT!

Nobody mentioned libel laws or who is lurking. It's about whether the "valued" members have a say at all?

not at all....unless your being tic... but the laws drive everything.

Bob Ward

The members are the lifeblood of a forum, Bob. But, they can't just wreak havoc and post anything they wish. There are rules to follow, and to stay within. If they don't, there will be an action taken, depending on the infraction.

I agree wholeheartedly! You nave run a good ship for the most part and I respect you for that. You support the mods and admins, to a fault some times, but I respect that as I did when I moderated here.

Unlike Shadow, I have been banned here, and I deserved that. I will now apologize to you for my overzealous reaction from the past!

What you well know is that moderators suffer from many types of issues. Moderator/Admin burn out, taught to me by Billy. New mod power trips. Injecting personal views in moderation duties. You know the rest!

As you have stated previously, we have a newer breed of members here that posses some good reasoning skills, good experience in the Philippines and keen insights on various topics. We need to nurture them and embrace those abilities while respecting their respective thoughts, even if they have ideas about the forum in general.

Cheers! I hope this thread will evolve into a positive thing for the forum in general!

Edited by Bob Ward
HeyMike

IF the members and their contributions are the lifeblood of this or any forum, why are our concerns tossed aside with the attitude that it's my way of the highway?

As Paul has stated, it is his way or the highway. But he lets us know his way by the rules given in every forum category. Seems the mods and admin do address the concerns of the members. They give explanations whenever they close or delete posts. If not, I have seen Paul post that he will look into the matter himself and get back to the poster.

Why are we threatened with banning for making a few snide or laughable comments?

The mods or admin may not see it as a snide or laughable comment. See it from their side.

When the majority of involved people ask that a thread be left alone to evolve (one that has not degraded into disrespect or dishonor) in it's own way are our requests brushed aside like we don't matter? Although it is right and good that management has ultimate control, does it really hurt things to let the members have a say in things?

I see 100's of threads where the members have their say. If a thread is not left alone, then ask the mod for an explanation as to why he did the things he did, if he did not already give you an explanation.

As for myself, this forum has been a big help from members who answered questions i needed answers to; as well as being a forum with a lot of laughs, especially in the DK. Seems like the moderator problems have been dealt with and resolved. Of course, not to everyones liking, but have been addressed.

These are my opinions and the way i see things. Constructive criticism is a good thing, but let's give credit where credit is due, also.

Bob Ward

As Paul has stated, it is his way or the highway. But he lets us know his way by the rules given in every forum category. Seems the mods and admin do address the concerns of the members. They give explanations whenever they close or delete posts. If not, I have seen Paul post that he will look into the matter himself and get back to the poster.

The mods or admin may not see it as a snide or laughable comment. See it from their side.

I see 100's of threads where the members have their say. If a thread is not left alone, then ask the mod for an explanation as to why he did the things he did, if he did not already give you an explanation.

As for myself, this forum has been a big help from members who answered questions i needed answers to; as well as being a forum with a lot of laughs, especially in the DK. Seems like the moderator problems have been dealt with and resolved. Of course, not to everyones liking, but have been addressed.

These are my opinions and the way i see things. Constructive criticism is a good thing, but let's give credit where credit is due, also.

Exactly what I would expect from a newbie! Thanks for sharing!

Or is this Mike S?

Edited by Bob Ward
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i can't think of a thread i've closed and i'm all for letting threads evolve and i'm all for allowing some off topic to a point anyway in any thread (i have to be, off topic is what i do and if i didn't self censor myself i've have 5 times as many posts as i do easily)

so anyway speaking strictly of threads that are closed for going off topic, as has always been my understanding it is done more to help those who are using various search functions to find the info they are looking for. also though i know closing a topic can very much take the steam out of an ongoing conversation and it may never get that life back anyone can always easily restart a new thread to continue the discussion, so long as off topicness was why it was closed

musicman666

i still say the whole tone changed with that ella case!!

I have only been a member here for little under a month, and already I have noticed a HUGE decline in the number of regular posters. Out of the thousands of members, it seems there are way less than a hundred or so that actually post with any regularity. I dont know why.. any ideas? Is it moderator related? Is it censorship issues? Or, is it just because the forum is getting boring? I dont know.But then again, I might be wrong. It just seems there are fewer posters.

Edited by dvo_kano
Paul

Or is this Mike S?

Michael is not Mike S. Michael lives in Barili and has been living in the Philippines about as long as you have, I believe. five years or so?

---------------------

I am going to have the staff ease up on simply closing threads.

However, on the other side of that double bitted axe, and in order to keep the threads more manageable, I will ask them to make it a point to delete off-topic posts in the given threads.

I hope the members will be okay with this solution.

HeyMike

Or is this Mike S?

Most welcome!

Best solution possible, I think.

I am going to have the staff ease up on simply closing threads.

However, on the other side of that double bitted axe, and in order to keep the threads more manageable, I will ask them to make it a point to delete off-topic posts in the given threads.

I hope the members will be okay with this solution.