Sign in to follow this  
insikmania

cheap siberian husky or hybrid

RickyL

Do not shave a Husky. They will be more vulnerable to insects and especially sunburn. Their coat insulates them from heat as well as cold. A dog like that would need to acclimatize over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. Expect very heavy shedding.

shadow

Do not shave a Husky. They will be more vulnerable to insects and especially sunburn. Their coat insulates them from heat as well as cold. A dog like that would need to acclimatize over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. Expect very heavy shedding.

3 or 4 weeks? It took me 3 to 4 years before I started to acclimatize, and I don't wear a 3 kilo fur coat.

Larry in Dumaguete

m60man

Bad choice.....the word Siberian should clue you to climate the dog thrives in! There are a few here, but they are surely miserable. Find yourself a native dog. I have one and it appreciates a good home where its not the entree.....she is smart, protective and loyal.....what more could you ask for in a dog. Plus there are thousands of them roaming around for free.....save one! You'll be glad you did. :)

broden

3 or 4 weeks? It took me 3 to 4 years before I started to acclimatize, and I don't wear a 3 kilo fur coat.

Larry in Dumaguete

i haven't worn a coat in years and years the occasional swearshirt or hoodie is about it and rarely at that, my wife will wear a coat in the middle of summer at times. there's a lot more to it than hair

cdpino

Which large breed dogs, who are good watch dogs but also good with the kids they are bonded to, thrive in Cebu?

Baldy

I will for sure look into the Thai Ridgeback when I become a permanent.

I dont know why, I just love em, have never met one yet tho...

How weird are the "feather" ones, hu? Cool breed imo. :)

billten

Many of you know that i have been breeding doberman here in Cebu for a few years and several of the members have one of my dogs. My dogs are big and fast and work hard for their owners as a real form of home and family protection. They are great with the family and kids that they know well (i personally have 6 dogs and 3 kids under 10), but they will rip into anything that comes into their home that they do not recognize. This includes other family uninvited members ;-) This is the perspective from which i am answering, please note, i am not talking about pampered house dogs that live inside an aircon house and only go out to pee.

Before coming to Cebu i trained GSD PPD dogs and had them almost exclusively throughout my life. Once i got here i started looking at the GSD available here and how they live. What i found was that the long, dual coated style of dogs are available and living here, they just are very small and skinny and they don't live very well or very long. The average life span for a GSD here is about 6 or perhaps 7, in the west 10 to 14 is common. The short coated dogs like doberman are not afflicted in the same way. So anyhow, to make a long story short, i decided to breed doberman and have happy dogs that can thrive in this climate rather than longer coated GSD that can survive but are likely to die early and uncomfortably.

The OP asked about the huskey or malamute style of dog, I know of a breeder in Labangon, his dogs are very expensive, because he has to baby them to allow them to live, they only survive a short time and their breeding cycle is often interrupted.

So, if you bring a dog that is designed for the arctic to live in the tropics... WHAT DO YOU EXPECT????

Headshot

Larry in Dumaguete

Yeah, but you've still done a bit of shedding...on top. :stick_poke:

shadow

Larry in Dumaguete

Yeah, but you've still done a bit of shedding...on top. :huh_01:

I'm not shedding, I'm "gravitationally challenged"!

;)

Larry in Dumaguete

Baldy

Many of you know that i have been breeding doberman here in Cebu for a few years and several of the members have one of my dogs. My dogs are big and fast and work hard for their owners as a real form of home and family protection. They are great with the family and kids that they know well (i personally have 6 dogs and 3 kids under 10), but they will rip into anything that comes into their home that they do not recognize. This includes other family uninvited members ;-) This is the perspective from which i am answering, please note, i am not talking about pampered house dogs that live inside an aircon house and only go out to pee.

Before coming to Cebu i trained GSD PPD dogs and had them almost exclusively throughout my life. Once i got here i started looking at the GSD available here and how they live. What i found was that the long, dual coated style of dogs are available and living here, they just are very small and skinny and they don't live very well or very long. The average life span for a GSD here is about 6 or perhaps 7, in the west 10 to 14 is common. The short coated dogs like doberman are not afflicted in the same way. So anyhow, to make a long story short, i decided to breed doberman and have happy dogs that can thrive in this climate rather than longer coated GSD that can survive but are likely to die early and uncomfortably.

The OP asked about the huskey or malamute style of dog, I know of a breeder in Labangon, his dogs are very expensive, because he has to baby them to allow them to live, they only survive a short time and their breeding cycle is often interrupted.

So, if you bring a dog that is designed for the arctic to live in the tropics... WHAT DO YOU EXPECT????

Just a question, if You consider to keep the Dobberman breed in Cebu, would you keep 1 or 2 dogs, if 2, what gender?