Sign in to follow this  
Beserker101

Static IP > Dynamic IP , Pardo

Beserker101

We have tried every internet connection available in this area (PLDT, Globe Wi-Max, Smart-Bro etc.) 512 to 3mb, but the speed fluxuation & intermittency

problem due to overloaded junction terminals & dysfunctional tower configurations had severely limited our use of the cpu .

Globe had denied our repeated requests for a static IP because we reside in a residential neighborhood, but recently we were able to

connect the Globe lead field tech w/ a supervisor at their business office & they agreed to convert us this coming Monday 2/28 .

It will be the same contract w/ no price adjustment, but we will be downgraded from 1mb to 512 . Hopefully this will solve the problem & we will have 24/7

use of our computers . I would suggest anyone experiencing similar problems, to be very persistant w/ your attempts to get the glitches repaired .

miles-high

I am curious to know how a static IP would improve the quality/speed of the Internet connection... tnx

USMC-Retired

Your downgrade in bandwidth will be a neg... just because you are in a residential area does not restrict it You just need a business line.. The price is higher however you do not get the problems

Beserker101

I am curious to know how a static IP would improve the quality/speed of the Internet connection... tnx

Norseman is better qualified to elaborate, but basically there is less congestion on a static/ business connection -

your IP never changes w/ static & your IP continiously changes w/ a dynamic IP

USMC-Retired

You are no longer in the proxy field. You are not going through a server with 100's of other people. You are a direct connect to the Internet.

Basically you send data out it comes straight back without that extra step. Additionally though I can not confirm or know. When they throttle to save Internet bandwidth it is much easier to just do the proxy field instead of each address. This will depend on how they configure the servers. Additionally when 100,s of people are congesting the server at peak times you will not need that extra step to get your data from the net. So yes context times could be faster the biggest thing will be ping rates decrease....... speed is speed the servers control that though congestion affects it ......

It will be intresting to see you results after a few weeks.

Edited by Norseman

miles-high

I see, congestion may slow down the speed as the residential is on a party line

Beserker101

You are no longer in the proxy field. You are not going through a server with 100's of other people. You are a direct connect to the Internet.

Basically you send data out it comes straight back without that extra step. Additionally though I can not confirm or know. When they throttle to save Internet bandwidth it is much easier to just do the proxy field instead of each address. This will depend on how they configure the servers. Additionally when 100,s of people are congesting the server at peak times you will not need that extra step to get your data from the net. So yes context times could be faster the biggest thing will be ping rates decrease....... speed is speed the servers control that though congestion affects it ......

... went to Globe/ Ayala 10:00am Monday & as I predicted to my asawa, the agent had no information relayed from the business-center supervisor & field-tech about us receiving a static connection,

she vehemently stated that static IP connections are not available to residential customers, .. we were prepared for this w/ the cell #'s of the aforementioned supervisor & lead-tech >

... to shorten up the bs-story, when we arrived home, the "lead-tech supervisor" for Bulacao/ Pardo called us & immediately came to our condo- .. tested the dynamic IP & immediately approved the static IP connection >

the ordeal should be over within 24 hours, hopefully -

Baldy

Me too.....

Baldy

The hops are the same?

Beserker101

The hops are the same?

dymamic = you + proxy > internet

static = you > internet

Baldy

Thats not it mate,

Proxy has nothing to do with that.

I'm just waiting.....

Edited by Baldy

Beserker101

Thats not it mate,

I'm just waiting.....

with a dynamic, your IP continuously changes, (go to ipchicken.***)

with a static, you have 1 assigned IP address, no proxy.. there is 1 less step in relaying information

Baldy

Thats not it mate,

I'm just waiting.....

with a static, you have 1 assigned IP address, no proxy.. there is 1 less step in relaying information

So, you think every static IP has their own slot to the ISP router?

Beserker101

Thats not it mate,

I'm just waiting.....

So, you think every static IP has their own slot to the ISP router?

after the techs explained it, I googled dynamic vs static from various sources-

the simplest explanation was to think of dynamic as an olde-fashioned telephone party line & static as a digital-direct telephone connection ..

I am not a techy, so I am praying that this will give us 24/7 use of our cpu's > 2mb Globe dynamic is a god-awful joke here after 4pm & on weekends > fingers crossed

Woolf

Static ip should not make much difference, but a business connection might have a better routing