Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

The St. Luke Experience

Headshot

My wife will go to St Luke in Quezon City this next week for her visa physical. These questions for anybody who has been through this in the last year. What are we in for? What time should we arrive? How long will it take? Are the results sent by the hospital to the US Embassy, or do we take them with us to the embassy? Can the whole thing be done in a day? This is a bit of a black hole. I know that St. Luke often has problems with its X-Ray machine, but that's not what I'm asking about. Obviously, if there are problems there, then all bets are off. I'm just trying to figure out how to schedule the day. Also, are there any hotels closer to St. Luke than those in Ermita? How much time do we need to figure in for a taxi ride from the hotel to the hospital? Any help will be appreciated.

shadow

St. Luke's is first come, first served. Get there before 8 (Yes, I know the difficulty in that). Some are done in one day, (the whole day) others have to go back a second day to finish up. She needs to take a copy of her appointment letter, ID, and her passport. They will send the results to the embassy. Cherry Blossoms seems to be a hotel of choice. You will not be allowed to be there. The cost is $213 and change, payable in pesos.

Larry in Dumaguete

"My wife will go to St Luke in Quezon City this next week for her visa physical. These questions for anybody who has been through this in the last year. What are we in for? What time should we arrive? How long will it take? Are the results sent by the hospital to the US Embassy, or do we take them with us to the embassy? Can the whole thing be done in a day? This is a bit of a black hole. I know that St. Luke often has problems with its X-Ray machine, but that's not what I'm asking about. Obviously, if there are problems there, then all bets are off. I'm just trying to figure out how to schedule the day. Also, are there any hotels closer to St. Luke than those in Ermita? How much time do we need to figure in for a taxi ride from the hotel to the hospital? Any help will be appreciated."

shadow

This just dawned on me, you don't go to the St. Luke's Medical Center in Quezon, you go to the St. Luke's extension clinic in Ermita. Here is the address;

St. Luke's Medical Center Extension Clinic (SLMCEC)

Address:

1177 J. Bocobo St.

Ermita, 1000 Manila

Telephone numbers:

(632) 521-0020

(632) 521-8647

(632) 524-6083

Basically it is right near the embassy.

Larry in Dumaguete

greatplace

Another place to stay in is the La Corona Best Western chain of Hotels. I have been staying there at that hotel many times when I have to go to Manila. Good breakfast as well.

Turbota

Or you can stay at the "Executive Plaza" hotel in Malate / Ermita.

This hotel is close to St Lukes and the US Embassy if you need to go there.

Another plus .... The Executive Plaza is also close to LA Cafe (now renamed Manila Bay Cafe) so you can go drink beer and look at the "freelancers" in the bar while your wife is getting her exam at St Lukes. :thumbs_up:

My wife and I will be there Monday afternoon ... She is going to St Lukes early Tues morning.

Ron,

Picture1.jpg

Edited by Turbota

smokey

St. Luke's is first come, first served. Get there before 8 (Yes, I know the difficulty in that). Some are done in one day, (the whole day) others have to go back a second day to finish up. She needs to take a copy of her appointment letter, ID, and her passport. They will send the results to the embassy. Cherry Blossoms seems to be a hotel of choice. You will not be allowed to be there. The cost is $213 and change, payable in pesos.

Larry in Dumaguete

"My wife will go to St Luke in Quezon City this next week for her visa physical. These questions for anybody who has been through this in the last year. What are we in for? What time should we arrive? How long will it take? Are the results sent by the hospital to the US Embassy, or do we take them with us to the embassy? Can the whole thing be done in a day? This is a bit of a black hole. I know that St. Luke often has problems with its X-Ray machine, but that's not what I'm asking about. Obviously, if there are problems there, then all bets are off. I'm just trying to figure out how to schedule the day. Also, are there any hotels closer to St. Luke than those in Ermita? How much time do we need to figure in for a taxi ride from the hotel to the hospital? Any help will be appreciated."

lets hope they dont find the easy to find white spot on her x ray.... seems 30 to 40% of the peoplel are getting this one... //// cherry blossom for me no taxi needed and close to mall and pal ... /////

hey it just hit me.. headshot is leaving??? i though you found heaven and planned on staying here forever??

Edited by robert51

mahogany

I helped my wife's relatives on two occasions as they had never been to Manila before. On both occasions we took the first flight in the early morning with PAL, took a taxi to St. Luke's Bocobo St (P120 before the recent price hike), arrived there just after 7a.m. (they were already handing out priority numbers) and were finished late afternoon the same day. I would not bank on it always working so smoothly though.

Staff and service there were of the highest quality.

Headshot

Or you can stay at the "Executive Plaza" hotel in Malate / Ermita. This hotel is close to St Lukes and the US Embassy if you need to go there. Another plus .... The Executive Plaza is also close to LA Cafe (now renamed Manila Bay Cafe) so you can go drink beer and look at the "freelancers" in the bar while your wife is getting her exam at St Lukes. :thumbs_up:

My wife and I will be there Monday afternoon ... She is going to St Lukes early Tues morning.

Ron,

Ron, we should get together in Manila. We will be there at the same time. I already made our reservations at the City Garden Suites Hotel on Mabini Street. My wife will also be going through the St. Luke rat-maze bright and early on Tuesday morning. We will be arriving on Monday afternoon and will be going home to Cebu on Wednesday evening. Since Larry said it could take more than one day, we decided to just plan for two full days. Then, if she gets done with the physical in one day, we will just find something fun to do in Manila on Wednesday. I think I'll stay away from the freelance bars. I really have no interest in that, but we should still get together for something. Let me know if you and your wife might want some company for dinner on Monday. Since our ladies will be going through the clinic at the same time, it will be good for them to have a familiar face to see while there. From what Larry says, you and I can't accompany them into the clinic.

Edited by Headshot

Headshot

hey it just hit me.. headshot is leaving??? i though you found heaven and planned on staying here forever??

Don't worry, Robert. We aren't going anywhere...at least for the long term. Since the US Embassy has made it virtually impossible to get a tourist visa, this is just the next logical step so my wife can meet the rest of my family and see the US.

smokey

Don't worry, Robert. We aren't going anywhere...at least for the long term. Since the US Embassy has made it virtually impossible to get a tourist visa, this is just the next logical step so my wife can meet the rest of my family and see the US.

the problem with St lukes is the x ray... if there is any spot or cloudy area they will make your wife come in 3 days in a row and spit and then send that out to a lab and tell you to come back in 2 months... that happened to us not once but twice.. the second time was because we ran out of time the physical is only good for i think 6 months.. or maybe less anyway when we finally got the interview done and the support stuff done the physical had expired by 3 days.. so she had to start all over... hope you have better luck then me.... on the plus side my wife is in the US now and already has her SS card and her 10 year green card all within 6 weeks... and NO express fee...

Turbota

I just read that your wife not only needs to bring her Philippines passport and the letter showing her Visa Appointment Date ... She also needs to bring 2 color glossy photos (2" x 2" on a white background).

And of course, the peso equivilant of $213.

Here is the link: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3218.html

shadow

I just read that your wife not only needs to bring her Philippines passport and the letter showing her Visa Appointment Date ... She also needs to bring 2 color glossy photos (2" x 2" on a white background).

Yes, true enough!

LinD

Headshot

Yes, true enough!

LinD

The way I read it, even though they say two, they actually want three photos...

"Two colored pictures (2 inches x 2 inches) with a white background (two are for the visa and one is for the medical report)."

Edited by Headshot

shadow

Yes, true enough!

LinD

The way I read it, even though they say two, they actually want three photos...

"Two colored pictures (2 inches x 2 inches) with a white background (two are for the visa and one is for the medical report)."

Which is why we tell everyone to get 6, it seems everywhere you go they want a picture. When she goes to interview, they will want a picture.

Cary

HS:

How is your mother? I ask because I know that you wanted her to see your wife and all. Do you think that you still have time? I really hope that you do.