Sign in to follow this  
DeezNuz

Health care in cebu

UZI

My wifes niece lives in Australia and suffers from tonsillitis regularly. Well after months of being given the run around, she has just flown to here (Naga Cebu) and had her tonsils removed in South Gen Hospital. Private room, kept in over night after the op and she is fine. Total cost including room - P47,000 (room P1500 a day)

UZI

Jessie, yes Philhealth is available to foreigners, you can be added onto your wifes policy as spouse.

Foreigners may now have their own Philhealth policy, handy if single, but you must prove permanent residency (Visa and ACR- I card) to qualify. (Not Tourist).

The cost is now P300 per month, paid quarterly/half year/ or annually. (Gone up since abw days).

Even if one has Private Health Policy they sometimes only pay out 80%, so Philhealth is still a good idea for picking up the shortfall.

Check out their website for more info.

Where did you get the P300 a month from? I pay for the family each year (inc me) & it has always been P100 a month as shown on their website - PHILHEALTH

smokey

so that leaves you with either coming up with a Co signer or some property in your name.. i dont know about you but the only time i ever co signed i got burned and i will never again co sign anything.. i think and this is JUST me that anyone who plans on living here should have a way to get their hands on 10,000 dollars some how or some way and this should cover just about anything that can come up legally or medically or at least 98% of the time..and if you dont have access to the money your playing with fire and can get burned

Edited by smokey

UZI

so that leaves you with either coming up with a Co signer or some property in your name.. i dont know about you but the only time i ever co signed i got burned and i will never again co sign anything.. i think and this is JUST me that anyone who plans on living here should have a way to get their hands on 10,000 dollars some how or some way and this should cover just about anything that can come up legally or medically or at least 98% of the time..and if you dont have access to the money your playing with fire and can get burned

High Credit Card limit for emergency use or agreed overdraft amount with your bank perhaps?

smokey

High Credit Card limit for emergency use or agreed overdraft amount with your bank perhaps?

dude i sure am not worried about me or you but many come here thinking hey if i get sick not a problem the va will take care of me or the usa will air flight me home... not the case... some guys come here on a wing and a prayer now that is scarey... look at james friend looking for help... and what would you say if a poster came on and said hey guys i got sick and was wondering who can loan me a few hundred thousand peso... and when i get paid i mail you a check..

enoonmai

I had to come up with 453k in "professional fees" for the 5 doctors on my day of discharge. They don't take insurance for that, no matter what you have, has to be cash or credit card and then reimbursed by the insurance company. I maxed out one of my cards to cover it or else I might still be there.

Edited by enoonmai

smokey

I had to come up with 453k in "professional fees" for the 5 doctors on my day of discharge. They don't take insurance for that, no matter what you have, has to be cash or credit card. I maxed out one of my cards to cover it or else I might still be there.

we all fall into a trap of thinking if your from the us the benefits will follow you ... not so.. to me having to depend on someone else is a big stress for me.. i dont like to ask or borrow if you have no insurance or money your really taking your health into your own hands coming here or anywhere outside of your country... i know no matter what happens to me in the us i will get medical treatment ,,, borrowing sucks.. and loaning sucks more.. OT but once my sister said to me hey i am going to buy a new lexus , i said great are you sure you can afford it ? No problem 10.000 dollars down and 72 months payments .. i said dont do that just save your money and buy one a few years old.... she says no its my money well 1 year into the contract she calles and says.. hey i got cut back at work wonder if you could do me a favor... sure sis what you need... well can you make my car payments for a year or so... .. i had to say sorry but i am not going to pay for a car your driving and i told you not to buy .. food yes a place to stay yes but a frigging lexus payment Sorry..

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

lazydays

Where did you get the P300 a month from? I pay for the family each year (inc me) & it has always been P100 a month as shown on their website - PHILHEALTH

I should have taken more time to explain, its a little complicated, but we are both half right, lol.

Most filipinos would qualify for the P100 a month premium, but there is another category, so i will explain.S

S E Professional members (teachers, lawyers etc) where their household income is P25k + per month currently pay P200 a month.

From Jan 2012 this increases to P300 a month for existing and new members,(paid quarterly etc)

(click on "FAQs" on the Individual Paying page of your Philhealth link, Question 3).

In our case, where my wife is a teacher and our combined income is over P25k a month, we are in the Professional category.(if she was self employed).

(If the professional household income is below 25k, proof must be given to qualify for the base P100 a month rate).

BUT,

On the updated application form it asks whether you (member/new member) are S E Professional or S E non Professional and whether your household income is above or below 25k. Reading between the lines i take it that even a non professional with a household income above 25k would also pay the higher rate P300 a month, from Jan 2012.

When i have more time i will email Philhealth to try and get clarification on this.

Edited by lazydays

UZI

I should have taken more time to explain, its a little complicated, but we are both half right, lol.

Most filipinos would qualify for the P100 a month premium, but there is another category, so i will explain.S

S E Professional members (teachers, lawyers etc) where their household income is P25k + per month currently pay P200 a month.

From Jan 2012 this increases to P300 a month for existing and new members,(paid quarterly etc)

(click on "FAQs" on the Individual Paying page of your Philhealth link, Question 3).

In our case, where my wife is a teacher and our combined income is over P25k a month, we are in the Professional category.(if she was self employed).

(If the professional household income is below 25k, proof must be given to qualify for the base P100 a month rate).

BUT,

On the updated application form it asks whether you (member/new member) are S E Professional or S E non Professional and whether your household income is above or below 25k. Reading between the lines i take it that even a non professional with a household income above 25k would also pay the higher rate P300 a month, from Jan 2012.

When i have more time i will email Philhealth to try and get clarification on this.

Hmmm....thanks for the reply. Certainly nothing is mentioned on the website or FAQ about non professionals & income over P25k but if, as you say, that is how it is now worded on the application form then it does need clarifying. Still a bargain at P3600 per annum if so.

• Like 1

GiveFirst

I had a Serious Bout with the Big D. Running back and forth to the "comfort room" after indulging in the local homemade wine |Toba". I learned my lesson quick. Health care is very serious topic but Its always great idea to stay on top of it before you need it. Great topic.