Sign in to follow this  
DeezNuz

Health care in cebu

DeezNuz

I'm not going to get long winded on my recent escapade.

So I'm just going to point a few things out so that you can research on your own.

- Do you think you will have health issues when you decide to move to Cebu? If so...don't move too far away from the city.

- I'm alive because I live close to many..

- I can only give good marks to Chong Hua. They had 12 doctors for my case.

- Research the local health insurance health providers their rates and services are very good.

-Total bill P1.5M...in USA, would be much more. The rates and quality of health care is excellent here

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

Short, sweet, concise... thanks Rob.

Who is your health insurance provider? My Filipino family talks about Phil Health, is that available to foreigners? If not, can you recommend a provider?

abw

Short, sweet, concise... thanks Rob.

Who is your health insurance provider? My Filipino family talks about Phil Health, is that available to foreigners? If not, can you recommend a provider?

Jesse, if your wife takes out Philhealth (P100 a month I think), you'll also be covered. Philhealth will cover around 1/4 to 1/3 of private hospital expenses. I used it ten years ago when I was admitted to Riverside Hospital in Bacolod for dengue, and they took 1/3 off the bill. For my family and myself when we move back there in a few years, will probably take out a travel insurance policy with someone like Onecover.

Andrew

Paul

First, Rob, I'm glad to see you are better? Well, you are posting anyway, so I am under the impression you are, man. Glad to have you back.

Now, a few points.

1. As Rob stated, I feel it is very important for new guys coming over, to consider their general health condition, prior to deciding on where they will live. I have posted that on this forum, and on other sites I own, I do not know how many times. Scroll down to question number 2, on this page, for example.

2. Here are some Philippines Insurance & Health Care links which some of you may find very useful, prior to coming over to stay long term.

3. Do note that we have an on site insurance man, stagger, who also has an Insurance Forum on this very site, where he may answer all of your health care, and other insurance needs.

DeezNuz

Intellicare is a national insrance provider

Cary

Thanks Rob and welcome back. Glad to hear you are doing ok.

MoMilsom

I will be requiring Health Insurance from May, I would like it to include my better half.

There are so many providers but I would prefer a recommendation from a member who had been payed out without any hassle.

I have just telephoned Intellicare but they stated they did not do individual polices.

Lets here some recomendations from success stories.

CardiacKid

Chong Hua is one of only 3 hospitals in the Phils that is accredited by the JCAHO. They have to meet the same standards as U.S. hospitals to get this accreditation. The Medical City and St Luke's, both in Manila are the other two. When I arrived here in 2005 I had a series of tests done there as a baseline for my new cardiologist. I was surprised that their equipment appeared to be newer than the same machines I had been tested on in Jacksonville, FL. I was really surprised by the low costs and the willingness to tell me beforehand what each would cost. I have been hospitalized in both Cebu Doctor's and Chong Hua, and Chong Hua is far and away the best. Chong Hua is my only choice when it comes to a hospital in Cebu.

RetiredNavyGuy

I have been hospitalized in both Cebu Doctor's and Chong Hua, and Chong Hua is far and away the best. Chong Hua is my only choice when it comes to a hospital in Cebu.

Interesting, because your comments seem to run counter to what most people have said about Chong Hua. Thank you.

Barryrio

Agree with Rob regarding Chong Hua. Excellent treatment there when I was in with dengue last year. My only criticism was the food - which was grim - but lets be honest, its the standard of medical care that counts! Also agree that some form of medical cover is a must! I learnt the hard way in Thailand a few years back when I had a bad motorcycle "off" just after forgetting to renew my policy. A painful experience both physically and financially that I would rather not repeat!

greatplace

Chong Hua is one of only 3 hospitals in the Phils that is accredited by the JCAHO. They have to meet the same standards as U.S. hospitals to get this accreditation. The Medical City and St Luke's, both in Manila are the other two. When I arrived here in 2005 I had a series of tests done there as a baseline for my new cardiologist. I was surprised that their equipment appeared to be newer than the same machines I had been tested on in Jacksonville, FL. I was really surprised by the low costs and the willingness to tell me beforehand what each would cost. I have been hospitalized in both Cebu Doctor's and Chong Hua, and Chong Hua is far and away the best. Chong Hua is my only choice when it comes to a hospital in Cebu.

I broke my ankle last May 2010 and badley dislocated my foot. This was in dgte. It happened on a construction site. I was taken to the hospital and the orthopedic surgeon arrive at 8.00pm in the evening. Laid in emergency until he arrived with no pain killers.

Put me to sleep and reset the ankle. woke me up and told me that it would have to be operated on with plates and screws. This was a Sunday told me they would do it on Wednesday as the theatre is fully booked. Still no pain killers had to use my own codine

Released the next Saturday total bill 149,581php. Had no insurance. My partner sleep in the private room with me thru the whole deal. Nursing staff are there only to give u medication but do not help and any other way that's why you must have somebody to assist you with paying advanced bills outside medication, food and to peeing etc etc

When I was released both our backs were covered in bites from bed bugs it looked like we had the measels.

I now have joined Health Care Program with Caritas Health Sheild. Covers me with just about everything. For a period of 10 years and costs a little more then my total ankle bill.

The hospitals that I am fully covered in are St Lukes, Makati Med, Chong Wua, Cebu Doc's, Davao Doc's etc.

Can't tell you what its like to make a claim yet. And hopefully I will never know.

UZI

I broke my ankle last May 2010 and badley dislocated my foot. This was in dgte. It happened on a construction site. I was taken to the hospital and the orthopedic surgeon arrive at 8.00pm in the evening. Laid in emergency until he arrived with no pain killers.

Put me to sleep and reset the ankle. woke me up and told me that it would have to be operated on with plates and screws. This was a Sunday told me they would do it on Wednesday as the theatre is fully booked. Still no pain killers had to use my own codine

Released the next Saturday total bill 149,581php. Had no insurance. My partner sleep in the private room with me thru the whole deal. Nursing staff are there only to give u medication but do not help and any other way that's why you must have somebody to assist you with paying advanced bills outside medication, food and to peeing etc etc

When I was released both our backs were covered in bites from bed bugs it looked like we had the measels.

I now have joined Health Care Program with Caritas Health Sheild. Covers me with just about everything. For a period of 10 years and costs a little more then my total ankle bill.

The hospitals that I am fully covered in are St Lukes, Makati Med, Chong Wua, Cebu Doc's, Davao Doc's etc.

Can't tell you what its like to make a claim yet. And hopefully I will never know.

A good report but a couple of questions if I may.

The hospital you were in, was that Dumaguete (dgte?) or Cebu? You mention that Caritas covers you for certain hospitals but you don't mention if it covers hospitals where you live. The cost you say is a little more than your ankle bill, is that per annum or for the 10 years. If per annum, I would save the annual premiums as if you dont claim, that is a lot to lose each year. Better to have a credit card with a decent credit limit.

smokey

Agree with Rob regarding Chong Hua. Excellent treatment there when I was in with dengue last year. My only criticism was the food - which was grim - but lets be honest, its the standard of medical care that counts! Also agree that some form of medical cover is a must! I learnt the hard way in Thailand a few years back when I had a bad motorcycle "off" just after forgetting to renew my policy. A painful experience both physically and financially that I would rather not repeat!

i have been to both hospitals and they are both the same... boring ... now the doctors they are the ones that make the experience work...

TimeForChange

Just wondering why anyone would go into Hospital for treatment of Dengue since there is no treatment available, I have had it and saw a doctor who diagnosed it and said do you have insurance I said yes he said go to Hospital I said what for, I hear there is no treatment for it he said thats correct but they can watch you LOL

Now unless its the bleedig type (very dangerous) no hospitalization should be needed since they can do nothing to treat you

Save your money. get a check up make sure its not the bleeding type then wait it out.

Painful for sure I was sick as a dog for 3 days and then weeks of painful muscles joints.

TFC

Baywak

Big Rob,You say you paid 1.5 million Pesos for your hospital treatment at chong hua and that was much cheaper then the USA.Tip for you-give up the junk food and save yourself a ton of pesos and surgery.

Edited by Baywak