RP has highest power rates in the world

One of my major annoyances is the electricity bills. Todays bill is 11,964.40 php from VECO for 20th Jan to 19th Feb. Billed kWh 1420, Avg kW per day 47.33.

The bit I hate is the system loss charge of 1084.88 php............

My bills are a lot lower then they were, but I can't really bring it down any further without causing discomfort to the kids and myself. We run 2 wall unit AC's pretty much 24/7, several fans, laptops, computers, a water pump, water heater, reef etc. The AC is obviously expensive, but the water pump is a nightmare, would be a lot cheaper to be supplied water and pay water rates!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Cipro

• udonthani

• Stranded Shipscook

JamesMusslewhite

I guess we pay the highest rates for their excellent services rendered. Those 8 hour daily rolling blackouts for 6 months, before the elections, was such an enjoyment. I am so happy that they have now decided to continue these special services, to now include 12 hour blackouts ever other Sunday.

I am so happy when I pay an inflated monthly rate while receiving only 2 weeks worth of electricity. After all it would be unthinkable that the Electric Conglomerates may lose revenue for services they did not provide their customers, in fact it is after all understandable that they charge their customers more a month then if they had supplied those two weeks that made up the month. They after all are only thinking of us, we are so special. :scratch_head:

I love my generator. :scratch_head:

It runs only when I want it to, and does its job without fail, without complaining, and without bitching. Just keep it "fed" with fuel and oil and it happily provides for me when needed.

If it were only woman...

James;

Are you being sarcastic?biggrin_01.gif

I guess we pay the highest rates for their excellent services rendered. Those 8 hour daily rolling blackouts for 6 months, before the elections, was such an enjoyment. I am so happy that they have now decided to continue these special services, to now include 12 hour blackouts ever other Sunday.

I am so happy when I pay an inflated monthly rate while receiving only 2 weeks worth of electricity. After all it would be unthinkable that the Electric Conglomerates may lose revenue for services they did not provide their customers, in fact it is after all understandable that they charge their customers more a month then if they had supplied those two weeks that made up the month. They after all are only thinking of us, we are so special. :scratch_head:

My wife paid the electric bill this morning,

it was 9 pesos per kw/h..... or 21 cents..... but that's all she has to pay.

my last bill was 19.25 cents per kw/h..... however once I paid $36.00 service to property charge, $17.68 metering charges and $18.63 GST. It translates into 32 cents per kw/h.....

I know which rate I would rather pay..

One of my major annoyances is the electricity bills. Todays bill is 11,964.40 php ............

......We run 2 wall unit AC's pretty much 24/7, several fans, laptops, computers, a water pump, water heater, reef etc. The AC is obviously expensive, but the water pump is a nightmare, would be a lot cheaper to be supplied water and pay water rates!!!

When I lived in Cebu, we also had high electricity bills until our maid suggested switching the water heater off when not needing it.

The bills dropped significantly.

Do the Philippines use these?

250px-Pretty_flamingos_-_geograph.org.uk_-_578705.jpg

smokey

I am so happy when I pay an inflated monthly rate while receiving only 2 weeks worth of electricity. After all it would be unthinkable that the Electric Conglomerates may lose revenue for services they did not provide their customers, in fact it is after all understandable that they charge their customers more a month then if they had supplied those two weeks that made up the month. They after all are only thinking of us, we are so special. :cooking:

oh ... but to pay VAT on the system loss is just well the price we must pay so some elected officals can enjoy a wonderful retirment

smokey

One of my major annoyances is the electricity bills. Todays bill is 11,964.40 php ............

......We run 2 wall unit AC's pretty much 24/7, several fans, laptops, computers, a water pump, water heater, reef etc. The AC is obviously expensive, but the water pump is a nightmare, would be a lot cheaper to be supplied water and pay water rates!!!

When I lived in Cebu, we also had high electricity bills until our maid suggested switching the water heater off when not needing it.

The bills dropped significantly.

Do the Philippines use these?

250px-Pretty_flamingos_-_geograph.org.uk_-_578705.jpg

my wife said the same thing and would UN plug the tv every time she left the room well it needs to heat up to work and so after unplugging it 100 times the frigging thing broke and cost 9,000p to fix... now i dont allow anyone to unplug anything without telling me first..

RogerDuMond

My wife paid the electric bill this morning,

it was 9 pesos per kw/h..... or 21 cents..... but that's all she has to pay.

my last bill was 19.25 cents per kw/h..... however once I paid $36.00 service to property charge, $17.68 metering charges and $18.63 GST. It translates into 32 cents per kw/h.....

I know which rate I would rather pay..

Our city here in south Florida has its own antiquated power company. We pay 18 cents per KWH and we lose power 13 times per year on average. My utility bill is between $400 and $575 per month.

According to the table in that Wiki article, the Philippines is certainly among the most expensive in the world.

Add that to having a majority of the population with such low incomes, it must be a major expense for the majority.

Such rates do little to encourage investments either.

Most of my equipment here in USA is pretty energy efficient, for instance my "big" PC is pretty elaborate, scores 7.4-7.7 on the Windows 7 experience meter, dual monitors (20" and 30"), Klipsch powered speakers, multiple hard drives, etc.

Under full load it draws 125 watts or so, when it goes to sleep and puts the peripherals to sleep, it's between 1-2 watts, not worth bothering to power fully down let alone unplug (!) when not in use. Now an old fashioned tank water heater, that can cost. I love those little point of use units, so much better in every way.

I thought they were ubiquitous in the PH? Does anyone have the old style tank heaters there? If so, why?

According to the table in that Wiki article, the Philippines is certainly among the most expensive in the world.

Add that to having a majority of the population with such low incomes, it must be a major expense for the majority.

Such rates do little to encourage investments either.

It seems like the punitive foreign investment laws and corruption would be much larger deterrents.

washingtonian88

My monthly VECO bill (Cebu City) is between the range of P2,100 and P2,500

I almost fell when I first learned about how much our monhtly bill would be.

I was never aware that electricity costs that much. I believe the previous house they pay only P200-700 a month (1 TV, 1 refrigerator and use of light) and I thought this was crazy expensive.

My house only has one AC (3/4 hp), 3 TVs, 2 refrigerators -big and small, 1 computer set, and use of light. They all run 24/7 except the AC and lights off when it's not nighttime.

That's it.

I guess if I never let anyone turn on the AC... cost would be P1k a month (VECO bill).

My blood boils everytime I get my electric bill so just to heck with it, I decided to deposit P10k, as advance payment to VECO since PNB online still does not do online payment for VECO, and it's just more trouble of a monhtly errand. Of course, this doesn't make me win... but how do you win on this anyway?- not use any electricity...ewwww, can't do.

SkyMan

Well, at least the RP is #1 at something.

My blood boils everytime I get my electric bill so just to heck with it, I decided to deposit P10k, as advance payment to VECO since PNB online still does not do online payment for VECO, and it's just more trouble of a monhtly errand. Of course, this doesn't make me win... but how do you win on this anyway?- not use any electricity...ewwww, can't do.

I have a Metrobank account. It's only purpose is to pay VECO and my wife's SSS.