RP has highest power rates in the world

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines, which ranks among the most corrupt countries, also holds the unenviable record of having the highest residential power rates not only in Asia but in the entire world.

Officials of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) and the Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corp. (PSALM) admitted as much yesterday in the course of a hearing by the House energy committee on the high cost of electricity in the country.

Responding to questions raised by Eastern Samar Rep. Ben Evardone, the energy officials said the Philippines has overtaken Japan as the country that charges the highest electricity rate on residential users.

As for commercial users, the country charges the second highest rate after Singapore. Commercial users pay more here for electricity than those in Japan.

Former Pampanga Rep. Zenaida Ducut, whom former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo had appointed ERC chair months before ending her nine-year presidency, and Lourdes Alzona, PSALM vice-president for finance, could not give the energy committee comparative data on the rates in Japan, Singapore, the Philippines, and other countries.

But Evardone revealed the rates to reporters based on a Department of Energy report made available to him by Batasan Rep. Henedina Abad, chair of the energy committee.

Evardone, whose Resolution 106 prompted the committee inquiry, said the residential rate here is about 18 US cents per kilowatt-hour.

It is 17 cents in Japan, 15 in Singapore, eight in Thailand, seven in Malaysia, five in Indonesia, and three cents in Vietnam, he said.

In terms of the commercial rate, it is 14 cents in Singapore, 13 in the Philippines, 12 in Japan, eight in Thailand, seven in Malaysia, six in Vietnam, and five cents in Indonesia.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Cipro

• udonthani

• Cary

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines, which ranks among the most corrupt countries, also holds the unenviable record of having the highest residential power rates not only in Asia but in the entire world.

Evardone, whose Resolution 106 prompted the committee inquiry, said the residential rate here is about 18 US cents per kilowatt-hour . . . In terms of the commercial rate, it is 14 cents in Singapore, 13 in the Philippines . .

That news does not suprise me, but why is the Phils commercial rate lower than residential?

I thought it would be the other way round. :rolleyes:

Ozepete

Typical Phils newspaper reporting... mostly bullshit.

Germany, Denmark, Holland and Italy are among many countries with much higher power kilowatt rates..And Phils has commercial rates that are very competitive with many others.

Considering the natural geographical complications, I think the Phils rates are comparatively reasonable.

Cheers..

Edited by Ozepete
musicman666

Germany, Denmark, Holland and Italy are among many countries with much higher power kilowatt rates..And Phils has commercial rates that are very competitive with many others.

Considering the natural geographical complications, I think the Phils rates are comparatively reasonable.

Cheers..

where are you getting your info .. or is it just common knowledge of power rates across the globe?

udonthani

don't compare the Philippines to the wealthiest countries in the world, that deliver good infrastructure to the inhabitants, be they citizens or not. Philippines is one of the poorest countries in the world. It's not Norway, which is unimaginably richer, or even Iran, which is only much richer.

electricity is by far the most expensive in south east Asia. You can tell this straight away because none of the other countries tourism providers charge the customers for rooms plus power. It would never occur to them. Only in the Philippine have I ever asked to pay an electricity bill when I moved out of somewhere after a week, or two weeks.

Ozepete

QUOTE: where are you getting your info .. or is it just common knowledge of power rates across the globe?

ANSWER: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing I assume/ hope they are correct!

QUOTE: don't compare the Philippines to the wealthiest countries in the world, that deliver good infrastructure to the inhabitants, be they citizens or not. Philippines is one of the poorest countries in the world. It's not Norway, which is unimaginably richer, or even Iran, which is only much richer.

ANSWER: The article posted states "MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines, which ranks among the most corrupt countries, also holds the unenviable record of having the highest residential power rates not only in Asia but in the entire world."

The entire world means just that and therefore the newspaper statement is wrong and again puts the Philippines in a bad light again, but unfairly this time!

Mr. Whippy, I think they ask you to contribute towards the power bill because your well known benevolent reputation precedes you! rofl.gif LOL

Cheers..

udonthani

it's well known that electricity prices in the Philippines are high. In fact prices for most goods and services are high, considering it's now one of the poorest countries in the world.

Regardless of the rates, my electric bill is always fairly low. It runs about Php 1,000 to Php 1,500 per month, typically. I have not run my air-con once since I moved into this apartment, which was in September, 2010. I am also on CEBECO electric, rather an VECO, so my rates are also lower, being in the province.

The gas is getting expensive too.. 900 PHP for 11 kgs. 3 months ago it was 650.00PHP. Thats proper inflation!

Headshot

Regardless of the rates, my electric bill is always fairly low. It runs about Php 1,000 to Php 1,500 per month, typically. I have not run my air-con once since I moved into this apartment, which was in September, 2010. I am also on CEBECO electric, rather an VECO, so my rates are also lower, being in the province.

:scratch_head:

my latest bill: P4949 for 431 kwh works out to 11.48 p/kwh or about $0.263/kwh. a bit cheaper than what wikipedia reports so metro manila must be a bit cheaper than the philippine average.

4 people in the house, 14 cf inverter type fridge, no a.c. last month, a couple of fans going most of the day, a couple of tvs and computers on and off through the day, and lights. this was our lowest power consumption in the last 12 months.

smokey

Cheers..

i have heard the same thing on the rates they are the highest for what you get ....but then i was buying a calling card to call the Philippines from the us and the card listed the per min. charges..... japan, hong kong etc 3 to 5 cents a min... philippines 22 cents per min... hummmmmmmm MONEY cant buy you love but it can buy you lots of houses in other countries so when you retire from PUBLIC service you can live large...

smokey

QUOTE: where are you getting your info .. or is it just common knowledge of power rates across the globe?

ANSWER: http://en.wikipedia....tricity_pricing I assume/ hope they are correct!

QUOTE: don't compare the Philippines to the wealthiest countries in the world, that deliver good infrastructure to the inhabitants, be they citizens or not. Philippines is one of the poorest countries in the world. It's not Norway, which is unimaginably richer, or even Iran, which is only much richer.

ANSWER: The article posted states "MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines, which ranks among the most corrupt countries, also holds the unenviable record of having the highest residential power rates not only in Asia but in the entire world."

The entire world means just that and therefore the newspaper statement is wrong and again puts the Philippines in a bad light again, but unfairly this time!

Mr. Whippy, I think they ask you to contribute towards the power bill because your well known benevolent reputation precedes you! rofl.gif LOL

Cheers..

well for some reason you have your head in the sand on this one.... the facts are clear so to try to make this about whippy shows your going to lose..