Sign in to follow this  
Jester

Letter USA to PI's

Jester

Holy Bat dung Batman!! I just checked with DHL and UPS, over $100 US to ship an envelope from FL to Biliran PI's!! A Balikbayan box is only $150!! Neither Co's online calculator would let me enter less than 1 lb weight.

I have read some good things here about LBC, but I am in FL and LBC is not here. Also I cannot access the LBC site it is under construction.

I am wondering if anyone has mailed a letter to an LBC office in the US for delivery to the Philippines?? Whiner 0311

RogerDuMond

Go to a packing/shipping store that handles DHL. They can access the site and get you a better price. I paid about $45 where Fedex and UPS were over $100 for the same thing.

Headshot

Whiner, are you retired military? If so, there are ways to have letters sent to Cebu through the US Mail for the cost of US postage. If not, then FedEx is your best bet. UPS here on Cebu is a joke. Packages sent here from the US on UPS will sit in the UPS office for several days and then be returned to the sender, with no attempt being made to deliver them. They will use the excuse that they couldn't find the address given or that customs wasn't paid, but in fact they never made any attempt to deliver it. It happened to me twice before I changed to FedEx and the packages were delivered. Interestingly, it is fine to send packages from Cebu to the States using UPS. Then, they have a tracking number, and it has to be shipped out. Then there are no problems (other than cost).

RogerDuMond

Whiner, are you retired military? If so, there are ways to have letters sent to Cebu through the US Mail for the cost of US postage. If not, then FedEx is your best bet. UPS here on Cebu is a joke. Packages sent here from the US on UPS will sit in the UPS office for several days and then be returned to the sender, with no attempt being made to deliver them.

I agree with you that Fedex is heads above UPS, but DHL is as good tracking wise and is half the price. The only thing with DHL is that you have to pick the package up in Cebu and they call you when it has arrived.

Headshot

Whiner, are you retired military? If so, there are ways to have letters sent to Cebu through the US Mail for the cost of US postage. If not, then FedEx is your best bet. UPS here on Cebu is a joke. Packages sent here from the US on UPS will sit in the UPS office for several days and then be returned to the sender, with no attempt being made to deliver them.

I agree with you that Fedex is heads above UPS, but DHL is as good tracking wise and is half the price. The only thing with DHL is that you have to pick the package up in Cebu and they call you when it has arrived.

Didn't DHL shut down most of it's operations in the US a couple of years ago?

Ricky

From Europe i've regularly used DHL and found them excellent, they use LBC motorbikes to deliver locally.

That being said, every single DHL Envelope has been opened and resealed by customs. For a letter??? oh well.

Edited by Ricky

RogerDuMond

Didn't DHL shut down most of it's operations in the US a couple of years ago?

They just did a 22.5 million dollar expansion to their hub in Cincinnati. As far as I know they use authorized providers garnered from the pack and ship stores in the US with no specific DHL stores. So they are just a shipping company that authorizes store owners to handle their sales.

NittanyLion

If you use FedEx, you might have to consider the large, additional fees from Air21 when it gets to the Philippines. For that reason, I don't use FedEx anymore.

Jester

Thanks for the replies. I'm not retired military, so no help there. I did the online DHL calculator from Ft Myers FL $75.21 to Naval, Biliran postal code 6549!

My link

I also tried To Cebu postal code 6000, same rate $75.21!

The LBC rate for an envelope seems to be $7, not sure on that. But the LBC express site is under construction, so I can not get further information. One would think with the large Philippino population in FL they would have agents here.

Whiner 0311

redman69

I spoke to Fed Ex on the phone. They said they have a spot at the Cebu Airport. That for like 55.00 dollars I could send envolpe and have it picked up at Cebu. I did not do it. But they seemed confident it would work.

Jester

Here it is one month later and the LBC site still shows under construction! Whiner 0311

Jester

The back door! With nothing better to do, I did some recreational web searching. I found a Canadian LBC website and was able to go from it to the USA site. The USA site shows document delivery to the the PI's for $5.50!!! No typo Five Dollars and fifty cents US $$. Now if I can get a document to one of thier agents I can save about $90. That is the way it looks on the surface, will report on what really happens. Whiner 0311

My link

Jester

Talked to LBC contrary to their website they are more expensive than UPS. They even suggested FedEx! There has to be a more reasonable way to send documents to the PI's.

Whiner 0311

FirstTimeInCebu

I would have thought LBC would be cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

Edited by FirstTimeInCebu

RogerDuMond

Talked to LBC contrary to their website they are more expensive than UPS. They even suggested FedEx! There has to be a more reasonable way to send documents to the PI's.

Whiner 0311

Last time I sent documents (about six months ago) DHL was about half the price of Fedex and UPS, but you have to go in to a shipping store that handles DHL and not through their website.