To wear or not to wear nice clothes...

Rudderless

i just came back from a 4 week trip to the us and i wish i would of brought sun glasses so i could forget how bad the ride back home looked... i have lived here for years and i guess i got so used to the bombed out look half of cebu looks like its under construction ... and the wires hanging in the street are so weird they can be called art... wear anything you will be overdressed

I laughed when I read this because that is exactly what it looks like. I've tried to describe what it looks like to my friends back home, but I just end up showing them a picture of Berlin after the allied bombing campaigns in WWII. They get the picture.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• TheDuke

• Rudderless

• RickyL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lazydays

I would limit the smart casual.only really needed for special occassions or high end hotels.I wouldn't worry much about designer labels,most locals will think there fake anyway,so much counterfeit stuff about here.

If you buy local clothes here,you will probably have to go up a couple of sizes,up a size for footwear,for them to fit.

If you buy at export surplus shops,the sizes there are usually genuine western sizes.

Edited by lazydays

It also depends on what class of filipina or people you will be with. My Wife bitches if i don't get dressed up when we go out anywhere at night...and of course the reason is, she can get dressed up to match my attire. and she loves to get dressed up. daytime i get by with nice shirts and shorts, UA shirts and also those with the airflap in the back are comfortable.

but some of the LiNC members look marvelous with tshirts and shorts 24/7, so all is good :dance::biggrin_01:

udonthani

If you are big and tall like I am then bring clothes with you. I pretty much wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops when there but at 6'3 and 220 lbs it can be tough to find anything that actually will fit me correctly, especially in the province.

this is true. I don't know what the cut off point is but in the province I can struggle to find pants that fit my modest 33 Filipino measurement waist. I'm 70 kilos, 6ft tall, average build. Shirts are no problem.

There are times I like to dress up nicely in Cebu, and other times I like to look like I just got off a boat from Bombay. No matter what you do, keep the jewelry and accesories to a minimum and I suggest you look into clothing made of cotton, or a material that breaths...Think light weight clothing to keep cool in, and light colors are better than dark..

Just my two cents worth,

Ned

udonthani

I like to look like I just got off a boat from Bombay.

there is no speedboat, or any other kind of commercial boat, from India to south east Asia. It's something of a running joke on the Thai forums.

liquido

I got Dengue living in Mactan Cebu..I guess im still a kid at heart...

I wouldn't worry about Dengue fever, it affects mostly children and theres hardly any mosquitos here.

udonthani

dengue fever is by far the most likely disease you're going to catch in south east Asia.

Wombat No More

Learn from me since every time I visit the Philippines I make the mistake of bringing the wrong clothes. For everyday use wear cargo shorts and moisture wicking t-shirts along with moisture wicking socks and athletic shoes or hiking boots to protect your feet. The last time I was there it was so hot that even my t-shirts were soaking wet just after a few minutes of walking down the street. I finally started wearing a couple of moisture wicking t-shirts I brought with me my mistake and the difference was amazing. I still sweated profusely but it evaporated quickly because the shirts could breath. Next time I will only bring multiple pairs of moisture wicking shirts

A wonderful way to get pneumonia. The evaporation from a wet shirt causes a chilling effect to the chest and back. And I aught to know after getting pneumonia 7 times from this very reason in my life. That is until I started wearing a singlet under the shirt which stays wet without evaporating coz of the outer shirt. The wet singlet stays warm from body heat. As an excessive perspirer I was always in danger before but I have not had the illness from this reason for the last 25 years since I wore the singlet under the shirt. And I believe the sweat wicking shirt is a synthetic material and as such it will be much hotter and sweatier to wear than what you should wear and that is 100% cotton, the same as undies and socks. A small towel to wipe the sweat or wear around your neck helps while you acclimatise.

Stranded Shipscook

Dear Rudderless. clothing makes people and that is even more important here in the Philippines. If you got "branded" items, wear them, the Filipinos are crazy about deigner clothing. But again, all you need is available here too..

I assume you are aware that it is Hot and humid in the Tropics.

City looks : (That includes the nightclubs you mentioned, a well dressed man gets "Pogi" points !)

Shorts are accepable in outdoors not always INDOORS such as Offices, Immigrations and other places. Anything indoors is sufficiently airconditioned as well as the taxis are..

One can wear long summer pants, at least, this is what i suggest, also in the hindsight of mosquitos. The "hot" effect is not that bad as people believe !

And again- many places are Air conditioned.

I also suggest REAL shoes, such as the comfortable Deck shoes or boat shoes. Also nice are linen shoes and similar summer shoes.

This protects you from Mosquito bites and dirt too. And the very possible danger of hitting your toe at some obstacle and get a nasty infection... A very possible event !!

Rubber Flip Flops... In my opinion not suitable. Bring one if you have for the shower, or in your room.

Shirts- many wear those mussle shirts and rugged t-shirts. I assure you, it will downgrade you in the eyes of the Filippinos. Don"t do it.

I assure you that any decent Pinoy will not waist any minute with you when you are dressed like that. Except when you are maybe a bodybuilder model man. (Joke, even then don't do it)

And make yourself a target to crimininals, because they see right away that you are not familiar with local customs.

Good quality T-shirt is acceptable, better Polo shirts or other short sleeves or button ups.

So in general, dress as if you would work in, say Florida.

When you are in the provinces :

completely different again, shorts and polo/T-shirts is nice, I still would wear deck shoes or other sport sneakers. sandals are ok there too, but the dirt and dust.

Note that if you travel to the province, the transportation can be extremly cold from Aircons.

Beach:

If you are at the beach, wear what you like. as long as it is decent. G-string swimwear may gain one points in California, but here it wold rather raise laughter if not worse.

Mr. Mike

This has been very informative folks,,,,,I thank you! OP, great question! :lol: Keep it going!

Edited by Mr. Mike
Rudderless

I guess the thing is, I like to dress up when I go out. I just don't want to be targeted b\c of it.

Also worth a mention, in the states I wear a chrome necklace. It is cheap and ins't silver or anything but I like it. From reading the other threads I decided to be safe over sorry and have packed it in storage. It could be easily taken for real silver. :)

Clothes help to define the person in the Philippines as much as they do anywhere else. I dont know about Manila or Cebu, but Immigration in Davao wont allow you inside the office if you wear shorts or sandals. They have a big sign outside the office that states you should dress "Decent." I try to dress nice whenever possible because I have noticed there is a significant difference in the way people interact with me than when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Dressing nice in the RP does not necessarily mean you have to wear a blazer and slacks, but wearing pants will usually get you further than you might imagine. Is is too hot for pants? Of course, it is sometimes. Still, if you like to dress nice, dont let anyone tell you should not. For me personally, I have found the benefits to dressing nice far outweigh the inconvenience of the hot weather. Oh, BTW i live in Mindanao, which is usually much hotter than Cebu or Manila. Just my two cents.

Edited by dvo_kano
udonthani

Oh, BTW i live in Mindanao, which is usually much hotter than Cebu or Manila.

average daily temperature is maybe one degree Celsius more in Davao than Cebu. Not enough to notice.

For Real

I wouldn't worry about Dengue fever, it affects mostly children and theres hardly any mosquitos here.

Bad advice,

300+ people DIE from Dengue in Cebu every year (care to guess how many get very sick then recover), and I have to fumigate & use coils & repellant every day (in the house of out of the house) so I don't get caried away by the bastards.

There is a massive need for people to be concerned with Denge Fever...and it high times we had some vector control projects in place

If you can get hold of Deet, bring it!!

Edited by Malipayon Puti