To wear or not to wear nice clothes...

Rudderless

Rudderless

I am coming to the Philippines and am trying to decide what clothing to take. Currently I am thinking of taking my nicer clothes and purchasing local clothing for every day ware. The idea here is that nice clothing will be expensive to buy / hard to replace. Cheap everyday attire will be easy to get.

The clothing I would be taking are my "going out" clothes... stuff I wear to the bars here in the States. For example, button up shirts and Jeans from Guess and Banna Republic. Average local cost is about $100.00 a shirt or pair of jeans.

Basically I would be dressing like the pic below when I go out to bars at night.... It will not let me post a link but do a Google Image search for "7 Diamonds" and you'll get the idea.

So, the question:

Would wearing that up dress clothing be a bad call in Cebu? Would it make me a target? Would it be ill advised?

Thanks!

Rudderless

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• TheDuke

• Rudderless

• RickyL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wombat No More

Mate, if u have spent hundreds of dollars on clothes to come here, ur a nutcase. As the cost of clothes is much cheaper than back home, what one does is bring almost no clothes and go home with a shitload of them. The girls don't care a bugger what you look like. Only if you are going to spend money on them, so do what you like mate.

udonthani

bring chocolate and very little else. Come back with clothes, cigarettes, and Tanduay.

Rudderless

I already own the clothing, both nice stuff and casual ware. I'm trying to figure out what to pack and what to put in storage.

The question is about safety, not about what girls are interested in. I personally like to dress nice... That's just me.

Edited by Rudderless

Man don't go over board - when are you coming? We are approaching Summer and it may very well be very warm. Unless you spend all your time indoors, in Taxi's Malls, etc. etc. you are not going to want trousers on.

When you get here, unless you can find a good pair in the States, get your self a pair of Flip Flops - about 500 Pesos. Bring shorts, Muscle Shirts (Wife Beaters), T-shirts. If you burn easily, bring a hat or buy one here. SunScreen SPF about 60+

If you are planning on bar hopping at Marco Polo, Crown Regency or other high end hotels - then bring or buy some nice casual clothing. If you plan on bar hopping at places talked about here on LinC - then shorts, T-shirts, Flip Flops and a swimsuit are all you need.

But then I am married, so what do I know?

Just have fun

SkyMan

Remember, style, music, etc. are about 20 years behind. Also, you could wear overalls and shower shoes and impress any of the local girls.

Edited by SkyMan
miles-high

I would say it depends on the purpose of your visit, time, place and occasion and your height, weight, etc.

If it is on business like marketing, sales, I would say bring a nice set of suit, shirt and shoes. Wearing a suit without tie appears to be IN around Makati and IT Park corporate scenes.

If it is for pleasure like going to bars, etc., anything goes but it is recommended (by many Embassy web sites) that you should not wear short sleeve shirt and shorts in Cebu and southern provinces.

This is to prevent getting dengue fever. Many American favorite brands such as Dockers are usually less expensive here but they may not have your size, depending on your height, etc. so it is safer to bring them.

If you need to go to the official government, diplomatic and/or certain corporate functions in the evening, the official attire is either traditional "barong" or business suit (occasionally black-tie), as requested by the inviter.

Panserhansen

Dress nicely if you feel like, but you don't really have to. A lot of the guys here expect the girls to look nice, but don't really care about how they look themselves.

What to wear also depends on what kind of bars you'll be frequenting. Trendy places like Formo, Loft/Penthouse, Vudu etc - you'll see a lot of people dressing nicely - both locals and the younger foreigners. Walking around downtown in designer clothes, I don't really recommend - but be more aware of wearing expensive watches, jewelry etc.

Learn from me since every time I visit the Philippines I make the mistake of bringing the wrong clothes. For everyday use wear cargo shorts and moisture wicking t-shirts along with moisture wicking socks and athletic shoes or hiking boots to protect your feet. The last time I was there it was so hot that even my t-shirts were soaking wet just after a few minutes of walking down the street. I finally started wearing a couple of moisture wicking t-shirts I brought with me my mistake and the difference was amazing. I still sweated profusely but it evaporated quickly because the shirts could breath. Next time I will only bring multiple pairs of moisture wicking shirts and socks, cargo pants, and athletic shoes. You might also bring one or two pairs of khaki pants and short sleeve polo or button up shirts for going out at night. I wouldn't bother buying clothes there since they are gaudy and overpriced in comparison to what you can get in the USA.

I wouldn't worry about Dengue fever, it affects mostly children and theres hardly any mosquitos here.

Rudderless

Can I get these moisture wicking shirts \ socks in RP? (I know the material type you speak of I think. Stuff you would buy in a camping store.)

Should I buy them while I am here state side? Are they more or less expensive in the US?

Thanks,

Rudderless

smokey

i just came back from a 4 week trip to the us and i wish i would of brought sun glasses so i could forget how bad the ride back home looked... i have lived here for years and i guess i got so used to the bombed out look half of cebu looks like its under construction ... and the wires hanging in the street are so weird they can be called art... wear anything you will be overdressed

BaniladBadBoy

Under Armour make good moisture wicking clothing. I wear it religiously in the Middle East. Their clothing will last for years if properly taken care of. I wear the polo's when instructing military. They look good and breath well. I also dress well and plan on bringing a few cotton summer suits to wear in Cebu.

post-8346-0-26448000-1297779512_thumb.png

Mandingo

If you are big and tall like I am then bring clothes with you. I pretty much wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops when there but at 6'3 and 220 lbs it can be tough to find anything that actually will fit me correctly, especially in the province. I always bring a couple nice pair of shorts and a couple nicer short sleeve button up silk shirts to wear out to a nicer restaurant or to wear golfing, that's about as fancy as I get. Sunglasses are a must for me too as is a baseball cap or some other type of protection for your head.

Can I get these moisture wicking shirts \ socks in RP? (I know the material type you speak of I think. Stuff you would buy in a camping store.)

Should I buy them while I am here state side? Are they more or less expensive in the US?

Thanks,

Rudderless

Moisture wicking shirts and socks are sold everywhere in the USA. Just look at your local department store or sports and outdoors store. Most athletic wear is moisture wicking these days. I was able to buy a couple of moisture wicking shirts when I was in Cebu City at SM mall but the quality was inferior to what can get in the USA. Plus if you are big like me, 6'3' and 270lbs, you will not be able to find suitable clothing since almost everyone in the Philippines wears a medium size everything. Even an XXL shirt in the Philippines is equal to a L or XL shirt in the states. You will thank me for it after you arrive and that 100% humidity hits you. That's why I ended up with 95% of all my clothing just sitting in my suitcase because it was not usable. Don't worry about what you will look like because even wearing those clothes you will still be dressed better than 98% of the population.

Edited by TheDuke