Sign in to follow this  
HeyMike

Need SATA adaptor

HeyMike

Hello, my Dell laptop has stopped powering up (motherboard problem) so I would like to remove the hard drive and transfer the files to another laptop. Or if it is posible, use that hard drive like an external hd for my new laptop. Can you tell me if they make a SATA adaptor that can connect one end to the hd and connect the other end to a usb on the new laptop? If they do have such an adaptor, does anyone know where in Cebu I may purchase it? Thank you.

Cipro

This is probably what you want, or something similar.

dvo_kano

yeah what locktite suggested.. that is the easiest way to get the most use out of the laptop SATA hdd for sure.

dvo_kano

RE: CDRKING

use their store locator to find location in and around Cebu City

I go to CDR King all the time for blank discs and other cheapo thingys, but every enclosure I have bought from there (five or six i think) failed a day or two after the 7 day warranty and had to wait forever to get it repaired under the normal warranty service policy. CDR King is awesome, and cheap, for many things, but I would suggest spending a little more at a local shop and getting a little better enclosure.

Woolf

I go to CDR King all the time for blank discs and other cheapo thingys, but every enclosure I have bought from there (five or six i think) failed a day or two after the 7 day warranty and had to wait forever to get it repaired under the normal warranty service policy. CDR King is awesome, and cheap, for many things, but I would suggest spending a little more at a local shop and getting a little better enclosure.

I have bought at least 4 enclosures over the last 2 years and NONE have failed

dvo_kano

I have bought at least 4 enclosures over the last 2 years and NONE have failed

I dont doubt you at all. I was just relaying my personal experience with CDR King enclosures. I am in Davao, and I dont know if that renders into the equation at all. But since my purchases have been spaced over several years, I would not think that it would. Perhaps, I am just the unluckiest guy on the planet when it comes to external hard drive enclosures. LOL. Nevertheless, I now believe that enclosures I buy from CDR King are cursed, so I look elsewhere these days. I do love my external hard drives, though. I store very little on the internal drive of my PC anymore.

tobster

Mike,

Bring your laptop to my shop in Barili and I will get my guy to look at it for you free of charge

Toby

dvo_kano

Mike,

Bring your laptop to my shop in Barili and I will get my guy to look at it for you free of charge

Toby

Hi Toby,

I am Jeff. Have a quick question for you since you have a shop. I am looking for a specific video card and no one here in Davao even knows anything about it. I need this like yesterday, but will not be traveling to the states again for several months. I am looking for this card:

ATI FirePro 2450 Multi-View Graphics adapter - 512 MB - GDDR3 SDRAM

I need it for a four-monitor setup I want so badly to use. Can you get this card there in Cebu? If so, please let me know how much the card would be along with shipping to Davao. Happy to deposit in account for you and confirm. Please advise.

Jeff

tobster

Mike,

Toby

Hi Toby,

I am Jeff. Have a quick question for you since you have a shop. I am looking for a specific video card and no one here in Davao even knows anything about it. I need this like yesterday, but will not be traveling to the states again for several months. I am looking for this card:

I need it for a four-monitor setup I want so badly to use. Can you get this card there in Cebu? If so, please let me know how much the card would be along with shipping to Davao. Happy to deposit in account for you and confirm. Please advise.

Jeff

yeah i will see if I can and PM you tonight

dvo_kano

Mike,

Toby

Hi Toby,

Jeff

yeah i will see if I can and PM you tonight

thank you very much.

HeyMike

Thanks to all for your help. Toby, I will bring my laptop to you today. There is a known problem with the mother board with this Dell model. Either the rectifyer or GPU burns out on it. I believe it is because the way those components are soldered to the mb.... thanks again.... mike

USMC-Retired

First most laptops tend to have some issues with heat. The primary source being the GPU then CPU depending on application.

Sometimes I have managed to get the computer to fire up when an over heat condition has occurred. If you apply slight pressure to the GPU "again if your thinking is correct" will cause a reseat of the GPU. IBM think-pads have a similar problem.

If you are using a laptop it is highly recommended you spend a few pesos and get a cooling pad. Also Never NEVER place your computer on the bed or cloth or soft surface to operate. This may block the cooling fins located at the bottom of the computer.

Hope it is the rectifier not the GPU as you can connect an external monitor to the computer.

The SATA HD enclouser for 3 1\2is very common to find. CDR king has a bunch of them.

Edited by Norseman

HeyMike

First most laptops tend to have some issues with heat. The primary source being the GPU then CPU depending on application.

Sometimes I have managed to get the computer to fire up when an over heat condition has occurred. If you apply slight pressure to the GPU "again if your thinking is correct" will cause a reseat of the GPU. IBM think-pads have a similar problem.

If you are using a laptop it is highly recommended you spend a few pesos and get a cooling pad. Also Never NEVER place your computer on the bed or cloth or soft surface to operate. This may block the cooling fins located at the bottom of the computer.

Hope it is the rectifier not the GPU as you can connect an external monitor to the computer.

The SATA HD enclouser for 3 1\2is very common to find. CDR king has a bunch of them.

Thanks Tim, there is actually a class action suit against Dell because of this problem. My particular model and year are included in the suit, but I don't have time for it, being in the Philippines and all. Model: Dell xps m 1330. In the past Dell would replace the MB with another defective MB. Never would they admit that their MB was faulty.... until now. This is just 1 reply on a forum about this problem:

Michael B. replied 1 year ago I found the problem! On the motherboard there is a component called a rectifier. This component fried when it gets a brown spot in the center. It is the lager of the three components that have a IR5L on it, with the model number gL62 It is a Double Diode Rectifier, I cannot find a new one so far, if you do please let me know.

Another reply mentioned the way the GPU chip and/or rectify were soldered to the MB. There is a 3rd party company in the States that will replace the motherboard with a corrected one, which i will get when I visit the States again. I do lioke the laptop and it is great when it works.... just sucks having an $1800 paper weight at the moment.

In the mean time, I do need to get my files off that paper weight.

USMC-Retired

Sorry to hear all that. WOW. However it probably relates to a poor outsource by Dell which they no longer use. When you said rectifier I was thing of the Video output rectifier that allows the imagine to be seen. I did not even think it was attached to your motherboard by way of a soldering it. Probably the same component just attached differently.