Entering the Philippines with a few Netbooks

A_Simple_Man

thats why you dont put them in the box ! Are you telling me you use a box as a carry on ??

Customs always asks me "What's in the box"

If I have 4 netbooks and don't declare them, then they'll be confiscated if they find them right?

I guess if I DO declare them it'll eat up any profit I woulda made... Phew it doesn't sound worth it even.

I don't get your point DL. Whether the goods are in carry on or stowed luggage you still gather it all up and take it though the customs declaration area at the same time. I see lots of people bring boxes instead of luggage in the checked baggage.

There is an advantage in splitting them up between boxes. My experience with customs has been that they will often take one box or suitcase to go through and if they find nothing out of the ordinary they pass you through, but if there is anything to get them curious they can and do go through everything.

Bottom line is what other posters have said, it does not pay to be a smuggler.

Davaoeno

I will explain my point ! lol I just came thru customs from Canada recently. They had x-rayed my box, and also my check in bag [ both had large chalk Xs on them. They then looked at the Xs and saw what was inside. They did NOT care what was in my carry on. Thats why I told you to put the notebooks in the carry on and NOT in the checked items - whether boxes or bags.

SO- put them in your carry on. Do NOT put them in your boxes. Do not put them in your checked bags.

Only in the carry on.

Not in the checked items.

And I certainly never suggested smuggling anything. I just never went out of my way to say " oh Mr Customs Guy- maybe you should check my carry on " Thats his job- not mine.

Edited by davaolife

Smuggle? I don't like that word.

Let's say I'll buy a couple of netbooks for my wife & I who reside in the Phils. We'll soon get bored with them and SHE (a citizen) will sell them "like new" on some online classfieds here in the Phils.

Now I'm neither a smuggler nor engaged in illegal business.

A_Simple_Man

Let's say I'll buy a couple of netbooks for my wife & I who reside in the Phils. We'll soon get bored with them and SHE (a citizen) will sell them "like new" on some online classfieds here in the Phils.

I guess you didn't read the post about that guy who is in jail for thinking semantics could help him avoid the intent of the law with his 'not a recruitment business'. This is Philippines.

Davaoeno

Taylor's problem was that - despite his saying no less than 6 times on the front page of his site that he wasnt running a recruitment business - he also posted that he did indeed have employers looking for employees, and also took money from 400 people for non existent jobs. Very very much different from what your post would imply.

I think maybe you didnt read the post in its entirety.

I guess you didn't read the post about that guy who is in jail for thinking semantics could help him avoid the intent of the law with his 'not a recruitment business'. This is Philippines.

On second thought simple man i strongly urge you NOT to bring anything with you unless you are prepared to go out of your way to show it to customs. I have no idea why you asked us for advise and help .

A_Simple_Man

I have no idea why you asked us for advise and help .

Umm I have no idea where you got the idea I was asking for advice. With the number of relatives I have who work for customs, I thought I was one of the ones answering the opening post as a qualified, law abiding individual. Duh. scratch_head.gif

Tell you what though, you can always put me on ignore if you don't like what I have to say. Many have and it don't hurt my feelings, in fact it eliminates people responding to me with no clue what they are talking about. Happy posting.

They have ipad's at walmart for $488. I wouldn't mind picking one of those up and playing with it for a few weeks before selling it.

But when I go to Ayosdito they're selling them for as low as 20,000PHP. Am I correct in assuming those are counterfeits?

Davaoeno

my appologies- my comments were actually meant for alexccms. My bad

I have no idea why you asked us for advise and help .

Umm I have no idea where you got the idea I was asking for advice. With the number of relatives I have who work for customs, I thought I was one of the ones answering the opening post as a qualified, law abiding individual. Duh. scratch_head.gif

Tell you what though, you can always put me on ignore if you don't like what I have to say. Many have and it don't hurt my feelings, in fact it eliminates people responding to me with no clue what they are talking about. Happy posting.

You have no idea why asked for advice and help?

Well, I wanted to know how much it would cost to bring NEW netbooks into the country. Pretty obvious from my posts, isn't it?

I'm not the one who mentioned smuggling. If I'm using them and later my wife sells them.... it's perfect.y legal. I'm not going to go out of my way to show them to customs, that's a ridiculous suggestion. But if they ask what I've got I'll tell them. I'm not going to risk forfeiting undeclared goods.

Not exactly running an illegal employment website.

Why the hell does every thread have to turn into an argument? Calm down.

Stranded Shipscook

Nope , you did not say it, but this Topic is for the public and any others might read it and act accordingly .I just try to be as informative as possible. Forwarding and import/export was also my main income in my life.

The things about selling presents does not concern the customs police/Customs agents anymore, although they have the right to follow up for 2-5 years what happens to imported items such as personal effects and other things.

Now do not worry, nobody moves a finger for a few notebooks and stuff, but care is necessary in doing so and also in advising.

I also have to protect MYSELF, because i am a volunteer member of the Phil. Coastguard Auxiliary and giving other than correct advise in this matter would probably lead ME straight into jail. Breaking the oath and all that. You understand.

And nobody be scared here please, i am not looking for any offenders in this forum. neither would i report anything i read here.

m voluntarism is anyhow just SAR and Environmental and medical, i give a crap about border control.

NB:

This forum is googable, so everybody can read it, even if he does not look or know about the forum at all.

copy and paste any sentence and search it in google and you know what i mean.

You have no idea why asked for advice and help?

Well, I wanted to know how much it would cost to bring NEW netbooks into the country. Pretty obvious from my posts, isn't it?

I'm not the one who mentioned smuggling. If I'm using them and later my wife sells them.... it's perfect.y legal. I'm not going to go out of my way to show them to customs, that's a ridiculous suggestion. But if they ask what I've got I'll tell them. I'm not going to risk forfeiting undeclared goods.

Not exactly running an illegal employment website.

Why the hell does every thread have to turn into an argument? Calm down.

i pm you now, so that it stays cool. :-)can't pm you until tomorow same time, don't know why. just remind me in case i forgot, ok?

Edited by Guenther
Stranded Shipscook

They have ipad's at walmart for $488. I wouldn't mind picking one of those up and playing with it for a few weeks before selling it.

But when I go to Ayosdito they're selling them for as low as 20,000PHP. Am I correct in assuming those are counterfeits?

Nope, they are regular ones just like anywhere else in the world. Remember, i wrote to you, that electronics are Duty free here, just the VAT applies, and it is lower than many other countries , 12 %

plus cheaper labor and other factors, they can be cheaper here than in the USA.

Stranded Shipscook

After you paid the corresponding VAT at import you can sell anything you like. But the profits you OR your wife make are still a business. The Intention of your import is clear. Henceforth you need a permit.

The problem is, that you already stated your interest in selling items for profit, so what answer you expect in public. good idea?

of course not, we all just try to help you and what you told us is illegal.

And you may make some money and do it regular then and all the sudden you are really professional. You know Murphys law.

Just trying to help, i met a view people in the old wild days which fell on their nose. Thats why i and the other advise you.

Thanks for the great advice Guenther & taking time to respond.

miles-high

The lowest price netbooks I could get in the US is about $260 +/- $20, usually Acer through Amazon or Walmart. The same Acer netbooks sell about PHP14,000 +/- 500 (depending on your negotiation skills) which translates to about $318 +/- $11 at Green Hills or Mega Mall and all comes with a local warranty.

So I bring clothes, CP and batteries, Gillette blades, digicams, etc., small, hard to get items but I usually buy netbooks here

Inspector 2211

If you say they're gifts then you are automatically liable to pay tax even if it was just one you are bringing. The only way you stand a chance of not paying tax is if you can convince them they are all for your personal use and you will be taking them with you when you leave. 4 netbooks might be a stretch though.

"I'm a free lance software developer, working on a distributed video streaming protocol. Three of the netbooks will act as the video servers (each one serving a tiny slice of the video), and the fourth netbook acts as the client, stitching together the video slices and playing back the video."