Entering the Philippines with a few Netbooks

I'm headin to the U.S. for a few weeks and when I return I'd like to bring some electronics to sell.

If I have say, 4 netbooks and 4 ipods will I be taxed? If so how much?

Can I say they're gifts for my wife's family?

Worse possible thing is they get confiscated (stolen) by airport officials. Then instead of making a few pesos I'm losing a lot. So if that's a significant risk I won't bother.

Any information would be appreciated.

Ozepete

I often bring over an old desk top to give to kids and only once had to pay 1700p. Really pissed me off cos I could have said it was mine to use while in PI and paid zilch! Give them a call and ask first but suggest your gift to family idea would be better than for sale profit.

I don't see any risk of theft there with the airport officials!

Cheers..

Davaoeno

Dont put it in your checked bags- they x rayed them on arrival and caught me that way

Put them in your carry on .

Or use balikbayan box

Customs always asks me "What's in the box"

If I have 4 netbooks and don't declare them, then they'll be confiscated if they find them right?

I guess if I DO declare them it'll eat up any profit I woulda made... Phew it doesn't sound worth it even.

So... if I get charged for bringing a few netbooks in, how much can I expect to pay? Anybody?

Maybe if it's a 98 year old man bringing the netbooks to his 18 year old girlfriend I'll get more thread participation, huh?

:thumbsup:

If I have 4 netbooks and don't declare them, then they'll be confiscated if they find them right?

I guess if I DO declare them it'll eat up any profit I woulda made... Phew it doesn't sound worth it even.

I think that you found the right answer yourself

Edited by Woolf

you need to spread things out a bit.

ipods: 2 in your pockets, one in carry on, one in checked baggage should be ok. netbooks: more of a problem. most travelers don't carry their personal computers in checked baggage. you should be able to get away with one in checked baggage, maybe have 2 in a computer bag as carry on (they may think there is only one), and the other one in a separate carry on.

your hard drives should show evidence of you using the computers for personal use. fill them with p*orn or something to make it look convincing...

if you are asked what you have, mention your personal electronics first. foreigners are expected to have a computer and cameras and such, you don't have to mention the exact number. what i usually do after that is stumble over the word pasalubong. "...how do you say it? palalabong?... some gifts for family..." and have some innocent clothes and such that are easily seen.

no idea of what you would have to pay if caught.

of course, should you be caught or killed, the members of linc will disavow all knowledge of your actions...

If you say they're gifts then you are automatically liable to pay tax even if it was just one you are bringing. The only way you stand a chance of not paying tax is if you can convince them they are all for your personal use and you will be taking them with you when you leave. 4 netbooks might be a stretch though.

I was hit for 2475 pesos on a s/h laptop that was worth less than 10,000 pesos. I made the mistake of being honest when he asked what it was for and I said it was a gift and he immediately got out his calculator.

i think woolf's reply above alluded to the correct answer to all of this. you are, after all, talking about smuggling. you might want to ask if the profit you make is worth the possibility of being the next fellow in the san mateo (or similar) jail.

on the upside, we would have a good time discussing the merits of your case...

Davaoeno

thats why you dont put them in the box ! Are you telling me you use a box as a carry on ??

The Mason

Just tell customs you heard that foreigners had to supply laptops for the local police force and you're just doing your part to help out. You shouldn't have any problem.

Davaoeno

make sure to print out a copy of the newspaper story and carry it with you

Just tell customs you heard that foreigners had to supply laptops for the local police force and you're just doing your part to help out. You shouldn't have any problem.

Mang Kanor

ive done carrying 2 15.4 laptops, 2 cameras, 3 ipods and 5 phones and 6 watches

what i did was

i carry 1 laptop, 1 camera, 1 watch, 2 ipods and 3 phones with me.

the boxes of the 3 phones i carried were in the check in luggage, also with the ipods while no box for the laptop

i put a headset on the ipod touch, iphone on the left pocket while blackberry on the right, the other phone is on the bag together with the camera and the ipod nano.

Stranded Shipscook

sorry, i have overlooked your question.

I assume they are new and original packed ( i do not like to give you tips on a smuggling offense or how to avoid paying, you just have to read between the lines) or fit for commercial SALE. Even as presents or donation you have to pay, there are ways to go around it,but it is a lot of paperwork involved PRIOR to bringing them.

If you want to sell them really, that would be illegal, since you have no business permit, just for your info..better don't say that, if you intend to do so.

If they are used and of different kind and "older" models with scratches or obviously used, you may can declare them as gifts and then get away with nothing or some thumb payments.

The VAT is 12 %, and always payable. According to the law the customs tariff is zero percent... learn the paragraph in case you may get charged with the older laws.

(The Philippines became a member of the Information Technology Agreement (ITA) under the aegis of the World Trade Organization (WTO) on April 1, 1997. The ITA has eliminated tariff and some non-tariff barriers to trade in IT products since 2000 (see above for information on the ITA). Hence, the Philippines' tariff duties for computer hardware, peripherals and software imports are 0% since January 2000 pursuant to Executive Order (EO) No. 163 (Modifying the Nomenclature and the Rates of Import Duty on IT Products). EO 163 was signed by former Philippine President Joseph Estrada on Oct. 18, 1999 to implement the commitments made by the Philippines in the ITA.)

The Vat will be calculated upon the sales price in the RP, which leaves plenty of space for a "grey zone" on behalf of the customs officer.

i hope that helped you