• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Bundy

• loosehead

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 1 australian war memorial, national gallery, portrait gallery. What are they going to do on the second day ?

That got a good belly laugh... actually, I have never been to Canberra, but have planned to take MG to the places you mentioned... sounds like it will be a cheap holiday.

Bundy, is Sydney any easier? Just going by Loosehead's link it looks like it might be... much cheaper flights to Sydney and accommodation too. Try by post but for me I like to handle this type of thing in person. Good luck mate and matess.

Yeah Jesse, Sydney would be easier, but still two flights from here. Even though i was born there, it's a place that i'll do my utmost to avoid.And as for Canberra, i've been there a few times, it's like Carcar after 9pm...............deserted! Thanks for your input though, we've picked up quite a bit from this thread.Will try to contact the Brisbane Consulate before we go any further.There is no rush.

SkyMan

They change your current visa with a fat stamp in the passport and then you swore under oath and in all the paperwork that you are NOT anymore a, say Filipino.

So one better goes to his embassy and inform them.

What you do afterwards is another thing. the Oath is only for the moment when you became Canadian or German.

I guess, this answers it sufficiently, not to mention the ongoing transfer of data between Gov's

But apparently the Canadian gov't is ok with dual citizenship. Why would they stamp your passport as you're not getting a visa. You'd just get a new Canadian passport. What transfer of data between gov'ts? Maybe Europe transfers data among Europe. The US doesn't even track marriages between states. I doubt Canada is going to run to another country and say "Hey this person is a Canadian now."

Here's the Canadian citizenship oath:

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful

and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty

Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada,

Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully

observe the laws of Canada

and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

Not sure why HM is still there but there is no denial of allegiance to another country so becoming Canadian doesn't automatically cost a Filipina her RP citizenship. Even prior to 2003 unless the oath was different back then.

Australian is the same:

"From this time forward, under God,

I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,

whose democratic beliefs I share,

whose rights and liberties I respect, and

whose laws I will uphold and obey."

It does not say I pledge my sole loyalty. I don't see where naturalizing to either of these countries prior to 2003 would cost you your RP citizenship (unless the oaths have changed.)

The US oath, however, begins with an immediate renunciation of foreign ties:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

Edited by SkyMan

Day 1 australian war memorial, national gallery, portrait gallery. What are they going to do on the second day ?

That got a good belly laugh... actually, I have never been to Canberra, but have planned to take MG to the places you mentioned... sounds like it will be a cheap holiday.

Bundy, is Sydney any easier? Just going by Loosehead's link it looks like it might be... much cheaper flights to Sydney and accommodation too. Try by post but for me I like to handle this type of thing in person. Good luck mate and matess.

Yeah Jesse, Sydney would be easier, but still two flights from here. Even though i was born there, it's a place that i'll do my utmost to avoid.And as for Canberra, i've been there a few times, it's like Carcar after 9pm...............deserted! Thanks for your input though, we've picked up quite a bit from this thread.Will try to contact the Brisbane Consulate before we go any further.There is no rush.

Spot on. It's even got an awful roundabout like Carcar. You should be able to do the citizenship at Brizzie. Dunno about the 13A.