Dual Citizenship

RogerDuMond

I'm curious, if Canada doesn't require renouncing previous citizenship, why you had to apply for reinstatement of your Philippine citizenship? Since you didn't lose it becoming Canadian. Only thing I can think of is maybe you let your RP passport lapse but then you said you aren't required to keep an RP passport. Eh?

Before the Dual Citizenship Act of 2003, a Filipino naturalized as a citizen of another country was considered by the Philippine government to have lost their Philippine citizenship. The act was probably passed to facilitate more foreign money being injected into the Philippine economy by Filipino expats by giving them more reason to return to retire and own land. The following is the URL to the Act.

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno9225.html

It is relatively simple for a Filipino to reacquire citizenship in the Philippines. The following URL lists the requirements for an Australian citizen to acquire dual citizenship.

http://www.philembassy.org.au/dual-citizenship/19-requirements.html

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Bundy

• loosehead

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Stranded Shipscook

I don't know about in Australia, but in California, Dual Citizenship was such a simple, inexpensive and fast process! It only took my wife less than 45 minutes to get hers. There are more advantages in becoming a Dual Citizen as it is stated on the internet!

Does California has its own citizenship now ? Wow, Arnold surely get things rolling there.

just kidding, mate :thats-funny:

Stranded Shipscook

Some countries (such as Germany) request their "former "citizens to renounce their german citizenship if they feel like becoming something else.

There are excemptions when you live IN GERMANY and would have serious disadvantages in giving up your previous citizenship, such as loosing your factories or other livelyhoods. A piece of farmland does not include that.

However, in reality (as done by many pinoys in Germany) one simply gets his German Citizenship, makes his oath of allegiance, goes to the mandatory military service (if applicable) and then is a German.

He has to renounce his citizenship, but when visiting the Philippines gets a new Passport again and has a dual again.

Whatever the person does abroad is not of concern for the German nation. It does not exist.

A denouncing of German citizenship after being granted is theoretically possible, but only done for severe reasons. The possession of an other citizenship is not among them, since the simply do not recognize it, so it does not exists. They got beaten by their own juridicial logic there.

SkyMan

I'm curious, if Canada doesn't require renouncing previous citizenship, why you had to apply for reinstatement of your Philippine citizenship? Since you didn't lose it becoming Canadian. Only thing I can think of is maybe you let your RP passport lapse but then you said you aren't required to keep an RP passport. Eh?

Before the Dual Citizenship Act of 2003, a Filipino naturalized as a citizen of another country was considered by the Philippine government to have lost their Philippine citizenship. The act was probably passed to facilitate more foreign money being injected into the Philippine economy by Filipino expats by giving them more reason to return to retire and own land. The following is the URL to the Act.

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno9225.html

It is relatively simple for a Filipino to reacquire citizenship in the Philippines. The following URL lists the requirements for an Australian citizen to acquire dual citizenship.

http://www.philembassy.org.au/dual-citizenship/19-requirements.html

OK, so prior to 2003 a Filipino goes to Canada and becomes Canadian. Then how does the Philippine gov't know this? Did they get some notice from Canada or something? Just curious really. A Fil citizen who illegally immigrated to another country for 15 years and was caught, would still be sent back to the RP as a citizen, right? I don't see where taking another citizenship would cost you your prior citizenship unless the prior country received some notice from the gaining country or the individual themselves and if Canada was ok with dual then why would they notify the RP. I just don't see where reaquisition is required except to get a passport and she said she didn't need a passport.

sandwindstars

Hi Ms Bundy - Is it Peg (or Kelly) Bundy?

As a newly minted dual citizen (born in the Philippines, but lived in Canada much of my life), the application is a straightforward process + USD 58.00, one week only. It is fairly easy for Canadians because it recongizes dual citizenship, and does not require anyone to renounce previous citizenship. It is not necessary to have a Philippine passport (according to the Consul General), you can go in and out of the country with your other passport, you do not file tax return on income earned outside of the country. (If you have income in the Philippines, then you have to file tax return.) What are the benefits, land ownership, banking (you can have peso accounts), senior citizens discount (15% on practically everything) if you can get certified as resident of a town, work, run your own business, etc etc. Other than that, it's just another piece of paper allowing you free access and movement in the country without the limitations of a balikbayan or registering as an alien. If you want Philippine passport, they have machine readable ones now (since 2009 I believe.)

See RogerduMond's post above re Dual Citizenship law of 2003. Before that, technically you couldnt just get a PH passport. I say technically since I'm sure there were many who kept a Philippine passport while citizen of another country.

Edited by sandwindstars

Thankyou to all who have contributed to this post, the infomation provided has been useful to us. Ok so here is the plan. My hon will apply for Dual Citizenship through the Phil Embassy in Canberra ( we already have the downloaded forms ) the fee for this BTW if anyone is interested is AUD$90. Once we have that, she is then going to apply for a new Phil passport ( in the married name ) from the same embassy. In the event that the Phil embassy will not issue her with a new passport in her married name ( quite possible as we do have copies of our marriage contract but not NSO copies ) Then she will enter Cebu on her OZ passport.We will both then be on BB stamp. So once there we will have a minimum 12 months to get a new copy of the NSO certified marriage contract and then apply for her Phil passport. The next step would then be to get me permanent residence there. I know everyone talks about this 13A visa but i can't find any reference to that from the Phil Embassy here in OZ so i'm assuming that is something which we need to file for in the Phils.

:surrender::kissass: Cheers.

shadow

Thankyou to all who have contributed to this post, the infomation provided has been useful to us. Ok so here is the plan. My hon will apply for Dual Citizenship through the Phil Embassy in Canberra ( we already have the downloaded forms ) the fee for this BTW if anyone is interested is AUD$90. Once we have that, she is then going to apply for a new Phil passport ( in the married name ) from the same embassy. In the event that the Phil embassy will not issue her with a new passport in her married name ( quite possible as we do have copies of our marriage contract but not NSO copies ) Then she will enter Cebu on her OZ passport.We will both then be on BB stamp. So once there we will have a minimum 12 months to get a new copy of the NSO certified marriage contract and then apply for her Phil passport. The next step would then be to get me permanent residence there. I know everyone talks about this 13A visa but i can't find any reference to that from the Phil Embassy here in OZ so i'm assuming that is something which we need to file for in the Phils.

:biggrin_01::surrender: Cheers.

You can get the NSO marriage license online here;

https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Secure/frmIndex.asp

It takes about 10 days to receive it in the Phils, so add a few days to receive it in Oz.

I'm not sure about Oz, but it is easier to get the 13A in the US before coming to the Phils than it is to get it once here.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow
Stranded Shipscook

http://www.chanroble...cactno9225.html

http://www.philembas...quirements.html

OK, so prior to 2003 a Filipino goes to Canada and becomes Canadian. Then how does the Philippine gov't know this? Did they get some notice from Canada or something? Just curious really. A Fil citizen who illegally immigrated to another country for 15 years and was caught, would still be sent back to the RP as a citizen, right? I don't see where taking another citizenship would cost you your prior citizenship unless the prior country received some notice from the gaining country or the individual themselves and if Canada was ok with dual then why would they notify the RP. I just don't see where reaquisition is required except to get a passport and she said she didn't need a passport.

They change your current visa with a fat stamp in the passport and then you swore under oath and in all the paperwork that you are NOT anymore a, say Filipino.

So one better goes to his embassy and inform them.

What you do afterwards is another thing. the Oath is only for the moment when you became Canadian or German.

I guess, this answers it sufficiently, not to mention the ongoing transfer of data between Gov's

Is it possible for Mr and Mrs Bundy to enter on a bb visa and then take a weeks holiday every year to say Hong Kong or Singapore and return to get another balikbayan stamp ? I'm not sure if that is against the rules or spirit of the bb scheme but it means you never have to pay visa costs.

Is it possible for Mr and Mrs Bundy to enter on a bb visa and then take a weeks holiday every year to say Hong Kong or Singapore and return to get another balikbayan stamp ? I'm not sure if that is against the rules or spirit of the bb scheme but it means you never have to pay visa costs.

Yeah mate, i think we can do exactly that and if need be that's how it will be but i just thought that as we are married it may be worth the exercise to go for the permanent residence and the 13A visa for me which i'm lead to beileve is a "once only" cost.

Jess Bartone

That's a very good reason for your wife to re-acquire her Philippine citizenship. From memory, a former citizen can only own up to 1000 sqm of land (not sure about rural land).

Andrew

Mrs Bundy has been in Australia for 7 years... it takes 5 years residence to get Australian citizenship... therefore I am guessing she has had Aussie for less than 2 years... in truth, Mrs. Bundy never lost her Filipino citizenship (being after the 2003 decree), and so is not limited by any of the re-acquisition laws.

Did she actually renounce her RP citizenship to get Australian? If not she should still be a citizen. Can she get a renewed passport in her married name from the embassy there using her old passport and a copy of your NSO MC?

As far as I know, Australia does not require renouncement. So yes, she is still a Filipino citizen.

Here's my idea Mr. & Mrs. Bundy: Now I'm not sure where your nearest Filipino Embassy is, possibly Canberra? I would take all the requirements for Mrs. Bundy's passport renewal application, e.g. original passport, marriage certificate, birth certificate etc etc, and all the requirements for Mr. Bundy's 13a visa, and take yourselves on a nice little holiday to Canberra to see the sights. Book yourselves into a hotel/motel as close to the embassy as possible, and lodge your applications simultaneously. Give them the name of your hotel and room number, your mobile phone numbers, and as politely and as conspiratorially as you can, tell them you will wait there in Canberra until the applications are processed. If it can be done in Brisbane, so much the better.

take yourselves on a nice little holiday to Canberra to see the sights.

Day 1 australian war memorial, national gallery, portrait gallery. What are they going to do on the second day ?

That's a very good reason for your wife to re-acquire her Philippine citizenship. From memory, a former citizen can only own up to 1000 sqm of land (not sure about rural land).

Andrew

Mrs Bundy has been in Australia for 7 years... it takes 5 years residence to get Australian citizenship... therefore I am guessing she has had Aussie for less than 2 years... in truth, Mrs. Bundy never lost her Filipino citizenship (being after the 2003 decree), and so is not limited by any of the re-acquisition laws.

Did she actually renounce her RP citizenship to get Australian? If not she should still be a citizen. Can she get a renewed passport in her married name from the embassy there using her old passport and a copy of your NSO MC?

As far as I know, Australia does not require renouncement. So yes, she is still a Filipino citizen.

Here's my idea Mr. & Mrs. Bundy: Now I'm not sure where your nearest Filipino Embassy is, possibly Canberra? I would take all the requirements for Mrs. Bundy's passport renewal application, e.g. original passport, marriage certificate, birth certificate etc etc, and all the requirements for Mr. Bundy's 13a visa, and take yourselves on a nice little holiday to Canberra to see the sights. Book yourselves into a hotel/motel as close to the embassy as possible, and lodge your applications simultaneously. Give them the name of your hotel and room number, your mobile phone numbers, and as politely and as conspiratorially as you can, tell them you will wait there in Canberra until the applications are processed. If it can be done in Brisbane, so much the better.

In theory you're right mate, but it's a bloody long way to the A.C.T. from here. Much cheaper to fly to Manila. Canberra does seem to be the place to apply so i think we'll try it by post first.

Jess Bartone

Day 1 australian war memorial, national gallery, portrait gallery. What are they going to do on the second day ?

That got a good belly laugh... actually, I have never been to Canberra, but have planned to take MG to the places you mentioned... sounds like it will be a cheap holiday.

Bundy, is Sydney any easier? Just going by Loosehead's link it looks like it might be... much cheaper flights to Sydney and accommodation too. Try by post but for me I like to handle this type of thing in person. Good luck mate and matess.