Dual Citizenship

Mrs Bundy my wife is an aussie citizen for 25 years and had let her filipino passport lapse. A few years ago she inherited four properties and her lawyer advised her to renew her filipino citizenship. It was a simple process at the consulate in Perth and now she is a dual citizen. She still travels on the aussie passport and when we go to the philippines we are on a balikbayan visa. The dual citizenship is an insurance against someone claiming she is not entitled to own the land.

Hi loosehead thank you for taking your time in replying my post. I been asking some of my filipina friends about this topic but none of them

have answer me clearly. Obviously, no one have done it yet.

But then from your reply i got the aswer that i need. Thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Bundy

• loosehead

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Stranded Shipscook

I guess, that covers most of it ...:scratch_head:

RULES GOVERNING PHILIPPINE CITIZENSHIP UNDER REPUBLIC ACT (R.A.) NO. 9225 AND ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER (A.O.) NO. 91, SERIES OF 2004.

Republic of the Philippines

Department of Justice

BUREAU OF IMMIGRATION

Manila

MEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. AFF-04-01

RULES GOVERNING PHILIPPINE CITIZENSHIP UNDER REPUBLIC ACT (R.A.) NO. 9225 AND ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER (A.O.) NO. 91, SERIES OF 2004.

WHEREAS, R.A. No. 9225 declares that natural-born citizens of the Philippines who become citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under conditions provided therein;

WHEREAS, A.O. No. 91, Section 1 designated the Bureau of Immigration (BI), in consultation with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of the Civil Registrar-General, National Statistics Office (NSO), as the implementing agency of R.A. No. 9225;

WHEREAS, A.O. No. 91, Section 2 authorizes the BI to promulgate and issue rules and regulations to implement R.A. No. 9225;

WHEREFORE, by authority of A.O. No. 91 Section 2 in relation to Commonwealth Act. No. 613, Section 3, as amended, the following rules are hereby adopted to carry out the provisions of R.A. No. 9225.

Section 1. Coverage. – These rules shall apply to former natural-born citizens of the Philippines, as define by Philippine law and jurisprudence, who have lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country.

Sec. 2. Former natural-born Philippine citizen already in the Philippines and a BI-registered alien – A former natural-born citizen of the Philippines who is already in the Philippines and registered in the BI shall file a petition under oath to the Commissioner of Immigration for the cancellation of Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) and issuance of an Identification Certificate (IC), as the case may be, under R.A. No. 9225.

Sec. 3. Former natural-born Philippine citizen who is abroad but a BI registered alien – A former natural-born citizen of the Philippines who is abroad but is a BI-registered alien shall file a petition under oath to the nearest Philippine Foreign Post for evaluation. Thereafter, it shall forward the entire records to the Commissioner of Immigration for the cancellation of Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) and issuance of an IC under R.A. No. 9225.

Sec. 4. Former natural-born Philippine citizen already in the Philippines and not a BI-registered alien – A former natural-born citizen of the Philippines who is already in the Philippines but has not registered with the BI within sixty (60) days from date of his arrival shall file a petition under oath to the Commissioner of Immigration for the issuance of an IC under R.A. No. 9225.

Sec. 5. Former Natural-born Philippine citizen who is abroad and not a BI-registered alien – A former natural-born citizen of the Philippines who is abroad and is not a BI-registered alien shall file a petition under oath to the nearest Philippine Foreign Post for the issuance of an IC under R.A. No. 9225.

Sec. 6. Forwarding address. Photographs. – In all petitions under Sections 2 to 5 hereof, the applicant must indicate his or her latest forwarding address. Three (3) recent 2" x "2 photographs of the applicant (front, left side, and right side views over white background) shall be attached to the petition.

Sec. 7. Fees. – Each applicant under these Rules shall pay a one-time fee for the processing of the application and issuance of the corresponding IC.

Applicants already in the Philippines shall attach the official receipt for the amount of P2,500.00 as proof of payment of processing fee. Applicants who are abroad shall attach the official receipt for the amount of US$50 or its equivalent in foreign currency acceptable to the Philippine Foreign Post concerned.

Sec. 8. Proof as natural-born citizen of the Philippines. – A former natural-born citizen of the Philippines, who was born in the Philippines, shall submit the NSO-authenticated copy of his or her birth certificate.

On the other hand, a former natural-born citizen of the Philippines, who was born abroad, shall submit the original copy of the Report of Birth issued by the Philippine Foreign Post and in applicable cases, the Birth Certificate issued by competent foreign authorities.

These documents shall be sufficient to establish that the applicant is a natural-born citizen of the Philippines for purposes of these Rules.

Sec. 9. Submission of the Oath of Allegiance – Applicants under these Rules shall also sign and attach an Oath of Allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines as follows:

"I, (name of the applicant) solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and local orders promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Philippines, and I hereby declare that I recognize and accept the supreme authority of the Philippines and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto, and that I impose this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental reservation or purpose of evasion."

Sec. 10. Strict compliance. Effect of non-compliance. – All petitions must strictly comply with the preceding requirements prior to filing at the Office of the Commissioner or at the nearest Philippine Foreign Post, as the case may be. After the filing of the petition, the same shall be assigned to an evaluating officer who shall evaluate the petition without further proceedings.

In the case of petitions that do not comply with the requirements, the applicant shall be notified to submit the required documents within thirty (30) days from receipt thereof. Otherwise, the petition shall not be favorably acted upon by the Bureau of Immigration or by the Philippine Foreign Post.

If after evaluation, the documents submitted fail to establish that the applicant is a natural-born citizen of the Philippines, the applicant shall be notified of such fact in writing by the Commissioner of Immigration or by the Philippine Foreign Post.

Sec. 11. Approval Procedures. – If the petition is found to be sufficient in form and in substance, the evaluating officer shall submit the findings and recommendation to the Commissioner of Immigration or Consul-General, as the case may be, within five (5) days from date of assignment.

For Applications filed under Section 2 and 4 of these Rules, the Commissioner of Immigration shall issue, within five (5) days from receipt thereof, an Order of Approval indicating that the petition complies with the provisions of R.A. No. 9225 and its IRR, and further direct the chief of the Alien Registration Division (ARD) to cancel the subject ACR and/or to issue the corresponding IC to the applicant.

Each cancelled ACR shall, however, be attached to the Order of Approval to form part of the records of the applicant.

For applications filed under Section 3 and 5 of these Rules, the Consul-General shall issue, within five (5) days from receipt thereof, the Order of Approval indicating that the petition complies with the provisions of R.A. No. 9225 and its IRR. He shall then transmit copies of the Order of Approval, Oath of Allegiance, including the authenticated Record of Birth or Birth Certificate to the BI. Immediately upon receipt thereof, the BI shall issue the corresponding IC to the applicant and forward the same to the Philippine Foreign Post concerned. If the applicant is a BI-registered alien, the BI shall also cancel the subject ACR.

Sec. 12. Conferment of Philippine citizenship. Conditions. – Subject to full compliance with these Rules, the Oath of Allegiance shall be the final act that confers Philippine citizenship.

In case the applicant is in the Philippines, he may take his Oath of Allegiance before the Commissioner of the Immigration or any officer authorized under existing laws to administer oath. In the latter case, the applicant must submit the Oath of Allegiance to the BI to form part of his records.

In case the applicant is abroad, only the Consul General or a duly commissioned foreign service officer of the Philippine Foreign Post concerned shall administer the Oath of Allegiance.

The Oath of Allegiance shall thereafter be registered in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Registry laws.

Sec. 13. Repository of Records – The BI Records Section shall maintain the integrity of all the documents filed under these Rules. It shall send official copies of the Order of Approval and Oath of Allegiance to the NSO.

Sec. 14. Copies for the Applicant. Identification Certificate. Correction of errors. – The applicant shall be provided with an official copies of the Order of Approval and the Oath of Allegiance. Further, all IC's issued under these Rules shall indicate Philippine citizenship under R.A. No. 9225 and A.O. N0. 91 s. 2004. Any clerical error or errors in the entries of the IC may be corrected, upon written request to and approval by the Commissioner of Immigration. The NSO shall be promptly provided with a copy of the corrected IC.

Sec. 15. Confidentiality of Records. – Any application, document of information given before the Bureau of Immigration or any Philippine Foreign Post shall not be divulged in any manner to any person or entity without the express written consent of the person to whom such application, record or information belongs.

Sec. 16. Other beneficiaries of R.A. No. 9225. – This memorandum circular shall equally apply to the unmarried child, whether legitimate, illegitimate or adopted, below eighteen (18) years of age, of those who re-acquire Philippine citizenship upon the activity of R.A. No. 9225.

Sec. 17. Exemption from administrative review. Limitations. – The conferment of Philippine citizenship under these Rules shall no longer be subject to the affirmation by the Secretary of Justice pursuant to the DOJ Policy Directive of 7 September 1970 and Opinion No. 108, s. 1996.

However, Philippine citizenship under these Rules may be revoked by competent authority upon a substantive finding of fraud, misrepresentation or concealment on the part of the applicant.

Sec. 18. Effectivity. – This memorandum circular takes effect fifteen (15) days after its publication in the two (2) newspapers of general circulation.

(Sgd.) ALIPIO F. FERNANDEZ, JR.

Commissioner

APPROVED:

(Sgd.) MA. MERCEDITAS N. GUTIERREZ

Acting Secretary

Department of Justice

Edited by Guenther
SkyMan

Mrs Bundy my wife is an aussie citizen for 25 years and had let her filipino passport lapse. A few years ago she inherited four properties and her lawyer advised her to renew her filipino citizenship. It was a simple process at the consulate in Perth and now she is a dual citizen. She still travels on the aussie passport and when we go to the philippines we are on a balikbayan visa. The dual citizenship is an insurance against someone claiming she is not entitled to own the land.

Hi loosehead thank you for taking your time in replying my post. I been asking some of my filipina friends about this topic but none of them

have answer me clearly. Obviously, no one have done it yet.

But then from your reply i got the aswer that i need. Thanks

I guess that means Mabuhay Balak!s are in order. :scratch_head:

sandwindstars

Hi Ms Bundy - Is it Peg (or Kelly) Bundy?

As a newly minted dual citizen (born in the Philippines, but lived in Canada much of my life), the application is a straightforward process + USD 58.00, one week only. It is fairly easy for Canadians because it recongizes dual citizenship, and does not require anyone to renounce previous citizenship. It is not necessary to have a Philippine passport (according to the Consul General), you can go in and out of the country with your other passport, you do not file tax return on income earned outside of the country. (If you have income in the Philippines, then you have to file tax return.) What are the benefits, land ownership, banking (you can have peso accounts), senior citizens discount (15% on practically everything) if you can get certified as resident of a town, work, run your own business, etc etc. Other than that, it's just another piece of paper allowing you free access and movement in the country without the limitations of a balikbayan or registering as an alien. If you want Philippine passport, they have machine readable ones now (since 2009 I believe.)

Thanks fellas, i think my darling has the answer she was looking for. However this has now raised some further questions from me. If she applies to the Phil consulate and is granted "Dual Citizenship", what do you get? Is it just a certificate that she needs to carry with her or is it an entry in her Australian passport declaring that she is infact a dual citizen.Also if she will be a "Dual Citizen" will she need to have her passport stamped BB when we arrive? If she is a Dual Citizen then she should be able to remain in the Phils for as long as she likes...........correct??? but obviously i would not and will need to leave every 12 months when my BB expires ( unless i extend it ofcourse) Becomming a "Dual Citizen" does not mean that she has to give up her recently accquired Aussie citizenship, all it means is that she will be a recognised citizen of TWO countries. She will still use her Australian passport.

That's a very good reason for your wife to re-acquire her Philippine citizenship. From memory, a former citizen can only own up to 1000 sqm of land (not sure about rural land).

Andrew

shadow

Thanks fellas, i think my darling has the answer she was looking for. However this has now raised some further questions from me. If she applies to the Phil consulate and is granted "Dual Citizenship", what do you get? Is it just a certificate that she needs to carry with her or is it an entry in her Australian passport declaring that she is infact a dual citizen.Also if she will be a "Dual Citizen" will she need to have her passport stamped BB when we arrive? If she is a Dual Citizen then she should be able to remain in the Phils for as long as she likes...........correct??? but obviously i would not and will need to leave every 12 months when my BB expires ( unless i extend it ofcourse) Becomming a "Dual Citizen" does not mean that she has to give up her recently accquired Aussie citizenship, all it means is that she will be a recognised citizen of TWO countries. She will still use her Australian passport.

She can then apply for a Philippine passport. She can enter the Philippines on her Philippine passport, and Oz on her Ozzie passport, thus avoiding all visa fees, and staying as long as she wants.

As for you, it doesn't change your status at all. If you enter the Philippines with her, you can avail of the balikbayan program. After a year you either leave or start paying for extensions.

Larry in Dumaguete

She can then apply for a Philippine passport. She can enter the Philippines on her Philippine passport, and Oz on her Ozzie passport, thus avoiding all visa fees, and staying as long as she wants.

As for you, it doesn't change your status at all. If you enter the Philippines with her, you can avail of the balikbayan program. After a year you either leave or start paying for extensions.

Larry in Dumaguete

Geez, It gets awfully complicated doesn't it. So if she will leave Australia on her Australian passport, but then use her Phil passport to enter at Cebu, won't the immigration want to know why she doesn't have a departure stamp from Brisbane? Also if say in 5 years or whatever we return to Australia, she then uses her Phil passport to leave Cebu and the Oz one to enter Australia? Is this acceptable?

shadow

Larry in Dumaguete

Geez, It gets awfully complicated doesn't it. So if she will leave Australia on her Australian passport, but then use her Phil passport to enter at Cebu, won't the immigration want to know why she doesn't have a departure stamp from Brisbane? Also if say in 5 years or whatever we return to Australia, she then uses her Phil passport to leave Cebu and the Oz one to enter Australia? Is this acceptable?

Not complicated at all. Simply present both passports.

LinD

Larry in Dumaguete

LinD

Thanks Larry, ok i know what you are saying but in reality it's not as simple as all that in our situation. For starters my wife initially entered Australia on a Phil passport in her Maiden name along with our marriage certificate. The Oz embassy in Manila told us at the time this was fine and not to bother getting a new passport in the married name. ( she already had a phil passport before we were married) since then this has created no end of problems for us here, permanent residence, medicare card, bank accounts and then to Australian citizenship it's been a fight all the way so now to try and get the Phil embassy in Brisbane to re-new her Phil passport but in the married name may be just a bit too much for the system to cope with! One of the benefits of Dual citizenship i was hoping for was to enable her have unlimited stay in Cebu and to allow me to apply for a 13A visa thereby negating the "once a year trip" One lesson from all of this...........For anyone intending to get married in the Phils, please please make sure you get your wife's passport issued in the MARRIED name, even if it takes longer to do as believe me you will regret it if you don't do it.

SkyMan

Hi Ms Bundy - Is it Peg (or Kelly) Bundy?

As a newly minted dual citizen (born in the Philippines, but lived in Canada much of my life), the application is a straightforward process + USD 58.00, one week only. It is fairly easy for Canadians because it recongizes dual citizenship, and does not require anyone to renounce previous citizenship. It is not necessary to have a Philippine passport (according to the Consul General), you can go in and out of the country with your other passport, you do not file tax return on income earned outside of the country. (If you have income in the Philippines, then you have to file tax return.) What are the benefits, land ownership, banking (you can have peso accounts), senior citizens discount (15% on practically everything) if you can get certified as resident of a town, work, run your own business, etc etc. Other than that, it's just another piece of paper allowing you free access and movement in the country without the limitations of a balikbayan or registering as an alien. If you want Philippine passport, they have machine readable ones now (since 2009 I believe.)

I'm curious, if Canada doesn't require renouncing previous citizenship, why you had to apply for reinstatement of your Philippine citizenship? Since you didn't lose it becoming Canadian. Only thing I can think of is maybe you let your RP passport lapse but then you said you aren't required to keep an RP passport. Eh?

SkyMan

Larry in Dumaguete

LinD

Thanks Larry, ok i know what you are saying but in reality it's not as simple as all that in our situation. For starters my wife initially entered Australia on a Phil passport in her Maiden name along with our marriage certificate. The Oz embassy in Manila told us at the time this was fine and not to bother getting a new passport in the married name. ( she already had a phil passport before we were married) since then this has created no end of problems for us here, permanent residence, medicare card, bank accounts and then to Australian citizenship it's been a fight all the way so now to try and get the Phil embassy in Brisbane to re-new her Phil passport but in the married name may be just a bit too much for the system to cope with! One of the benefits of Dual citizenship i was hoping for was to enable her have unlimited stay in Cebu and to allow me to apply for a 13A visa thereby negating the "once a year trip" One lesson from all of this...........For anyone intending to get married in the Phils, please please make sure you get your wife's passport issued in the MARRIED name, even if it takes longer to do as believe me you will regret it if you don't do it.

Did she actually renounce her RP citizenship to get Australian? If not she should still be a citizen. Can she get a renewed passport in her married name from the embassy there using her old passport and a copy of your NSO MC?

shadow

Larry in Dumaguete

LinD

Did she actually renounce her RP citizenship to get Australian? If not she should still be a citizen. Can she get a renewed passport in her married name from the embassy there using her old passport and a copy of your NSO MC?

Yes she can, as long as they reported their marriage. I don't understand what the problem is, really. It is not a big issue to get the passport amended. They can do it at the consul in Oz, or wait until they get back to Phils.

Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

Larry in Dumaguete

...or apply for a 13A visa. Having her enter the Philippines on a Philippine passport is actually a very good move. It eliminates a lot of problems and fees. Like Larry said, use the Australian Passport in Australia and the Philippine passport in the Philippines.

SkyMan

I think you can even avoid the Filipino travel tax when leaving the PI although they might catch that one but that's less than the foreigner exit visa.