Dual Citizenship

In a year or so we are going to move and live in Cebu for a few years,

but since i lived in australia for 7years now i already had an australian citizenship

Every time we go over as we visit my parents in talisay every year me and my husband will have a BB stamp in our passport

But now that we are going to live there for a few years is it better you think guys and gals to get myself a dual citizenship?

I'm open to any suggestions..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Bundy

• loosehead

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

NOSOCALPINOY

I don't know about in Australia, but in California, Dual Citizenship was such a simple, inexpensive and fast process! It only took my wife less than 45 minutes to get hers. There are more advantages in becoming a Dual Citizen as it is stated on the internet!

How did you lose your Philippine citizenship?

Well, i got an australian citizenship already and travelling with australian passport

shadow

Yes, by all means, obtain dual citizenship. It is a very simple and inexpensive process. There simply is no downside.

Larry in Dumaguete

Welcome Mrs Bundy,

Glad you made it

I don't have anything to offer - Shadow is the expert -

Take care

Wombat No More

Don't know for sure, but when I enquired some time ago about dual citizenship, I would have to pay tax to the Phils on my Australian income, which ain't going to happen. (Also, I would be required to renounce my Aussie citizenship) But hey, that's me, an Aussie living here. From your point of view, you cannot legally own land if you are not Filipino. Any contract or sale of land to you is legally null and void. This one I went over with a good lawyer.

For Real

Yes, by all means, obtain dual citizenship. It is a very simple and inexpensive process. There simply is no downside.

Don't know for sure, but when I enquired some time ago about dual citizenship, I would have to pay tax to the Phils on my Australian income, which ain't going to happen. (Also, I would be required to renounce my Aussie citizenship) But hey, that's me, an Aussie living here. From your point of view, you cannot legally own land if you are not Filipino. Any contract or sale of land to you is legally null and void.

Ok we have arrived at agreeing to disagree.

I am an Aussie, who has not earned nor paid tax in Aussie for 5 years (and my business is outside the Phils) ...and would do the dual citizenship thing in an instant if there were no downsides.

I don't wish for you men to argue, does either of you have any more to add to this subject re dual citizen ship.

I will never revoke my Aussie Citizenship & naturally want to minimise tax (I currently pay zero business tax)

Wombat No More

Don't know for sure, but when I enquired some time ago about dual citizenship, I would have to pay tax to the Phils on my Australian income, which ain't going to happen. (Also, I would be required to renounce my Aussie citizenship) But hey, that's me, an Aussie living here. From your point of view, you cannot legally own land if you are not Filipino. Any contract or sale of land to you is legally null and void.

Ok we have arrived at agreeing to disagree.

I am an Aussie, who has not earned nor paid tax in Aussie for 5 years (and my business is outside the Phils) ...and would do the dual citizenship thing in an instant if there were no downsides.

I don't wish for you men to argue, does either of you have any more to add to this subject re dual citizen ship.

I will never revoke my Aussie Citizenship & naturally want to minimise tax (I currently pay zero business tax)

Yep, I got another point... but first, I'm not sure why you pointed me out coz it looks like we agree on the basic point in that I'm never going to give up my Aussie citizenship either.

But the question/topic is from an Aussie citizen who is formerly a Filipino citizen... In this case, the Phils Govt makes it easy for persons such as this, to reclaim their original citizenship and without losing their Aussie status. So I guess from Shadow's point of view, he's probably right and there is no downside... (except one like this may be legally required to pay taxes as I said before, but she's only been there 7 years so she wouldn't be bringing an Aussie income I reckon)

As for mugs like us, I reckon it's jealousy, racial predjudice or something else perhaps (like stupidity), that does not allow mugs like you and I to become a Filipino citizen while also retaining our foreign status. It makes it hard for us and so easy for the cottage industry here that allows Filipina's who prey on foreigners money, to steal their former partner's money thru the foreigner being denied the right to buy property in their own name but only thru their Filipina partners name. Many many foreigners have fallen victim to this situation and lost big time. Many Filipina's purposely prey on these guys. All would be solved if the foreigner could also become a citizen without losing his own foreign status by doing so. A bit off topic... sorry.

For Real

Yep, I got another point... but first, I'm not sure why you pointed me out coz it looks like we agree on the basic point in that I'm never going to give up my Aussie citizenship either.

But the question/topic is from an Aussie citizen who is formerly a Filipino citizen... In this case, the Phils Govt makes it easy for persons such as this, to reclaim their original citizenship and without losing their Aussie status. So I guess from Shadow's point of view, he's probably right and there is no downside... (except one like this may be legally required to pay taxes as I said before, but she's only been there 7 years so she wouldn't be bringing an Aussie income I reckon)

Relax Lucky Phil, I pointed you out because you were an authority in the matter having previously enquired...I said I didn't need you & Larry to argue over this.

The key issue is Mrs Bundy is (at the end of the day) a Filipina...I'm not (I missed this the first time). In short if I cannot be dual Citizen then forget it...the RP Passport is basically the worst travel document I know of outside the middle east if you want to be welcome anywhere.

Case closed

Mrs Bundy my wife is an aussie citizen for 25 years and had let her filipino passport lapse. A few years ago she inherited four properties and her lawyer advised her to renew her filipino citizenship. It was a simple process at the consulate in Perth and now she is a dual citizen. She still travels on the aussie passport and when we go to the philippines we are on a balikbayan visa. The dual citizenship is an insurance against someone claiming she is not entitled to own the land.

SkyMan

Maybe it's just Australia but do you lose your Aussie citizenship by taking an Oath of Naturalization in the PI or other country? We don't. We have to go into the consulates office, put a gun to his head, and demand he take our citizenship. Then we have to pay him $450 for the privilege of doing so. Even then I bet we could go to court and claim we didn't realize what we were doing at the time and get it back. But just going and swearing allegiance to whoever wouldn't take it away.

I could probably publicly swear allegiance to Al Qaeda and about May the IRS would be wantin' to know where my tax forms were.

Edited by SkyMan

Maybe it's just Australia but do you lose your Aussie citizenship by taking an Oath of Naturalization in the PI or other country?

I'm not sure if this is a serious question but the answer is no.

To become a dual citizen you have to eat a meat pie, drink a jug of beer, eat two balut and tagay tagay two shots of tanduay.

Edited by loosehead
RogerDuMond

Maybe it's just Australia but do you lose your Aussie citizenship by taking an Oath of Naturalization in the PI or other country? We don't. We have to go into the consulates office, put a gun to his head, and demand he take our citizenship. Then we have to pay him $450 for the privilege of doing so. Even then I bet we could go to court and claim we didn't realize what we were doing at the time and get it back. But just going and swearing allegiance to whoever wouldn't take it away.

I could probably publicly swear allegiance to Al Qaeda and about May the IRS would be wantin' to know where my tax forms were.

Absolutely correct. If you are a US citizen with no birth ties to the Philippines and decide to become a citizen of the Philippines, both countries practice don't ask don't tell. Both countries assume that you are exclusively a citizen of their country, but neither will require or even recommend that you officially renounce citizenship of the other. In fact as you point out the US puts many hurdles in your path and will council you against it..

SkyMan

the RP Passport is basically the worst travel document I know of outside the middle east if you want to be welcome anywhere.

Case closed

With onee notable exception.....when arriving in the PI it's the best. It's also helpful when leaving if you have another passport in your pocket.