Protecting foreigners

Art

Stranded Shipscook

Funny, it has been said on this forum that harsh penalties don't stop offenders because offenders don't think they will be caught.

The evidence here suggest otherwise...and I agree with this evidence

That would have been me saying that, among a few others, in the context of the death penalty. I still stand for it, meaning death penalty doesn't prevent crime.

What is in Davao is not exactly a death penalty although the results are the same. There is one major problem Mayor Duterte faces though. The human rights issue. As well as the vigilante groups in Cebu. (Yes there are !)

---

"As absurd it may seem to (some of) us, but criminals have rights too." (original comment of the C.o.P. Balamban during a beer conversation with other locals in my Restaurant)

---

Now we may think, shooting streetchildren which engage in pickpocketing or , if they survive through puberty, become tough criminals, might be a solution to crime, but it is not, because the slums constantly grow new ones.

Sorry for the extreme, but it is easier to explain the issue than to use a thousand words.

As much as it offends my liberal sensitivities it is kinda nice to live in a city where i feel so safe.

That is rich. I'm not exactly liberal, and I wish the same thing would happen in Cebu City.

It did and still does

Edited by Guenther
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stranded Shipscook

• Davaoeno

• For Real

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Stranded Shipscook

I can tell you he is VERY popular. The new Sherriff in town certainly did his job when he got elected here. No more snatching, no more open robberies, drug dealers scared to death [ often literally ]. Someone got caught doing a robbery- Duterte was seen on tv going into the guys cel and slapping him around.

Solved the taxi problem also- it was raining and some taxi driver refused to give a pregnant woman a ride to the area she wanted. Duterte put the fear of God into the taxi drivers- threatened instant license cancellation for anyone ever refusing to take a fare where they wanted to go. Drug dealers are know to simply disappear. About 2 months ago a jeepney driver who was driving way too fast hit a coca cola truck head on. Death toll was either 10 or 11, including a woman and her 2 kids. The guy was let out of jail that evening and was shot the same night.

And as much as it offends my liberal sensitivities it is kinda nice to live in a city where i feel so safe.

Davao is well known for the DDS [ Davao Death Squad]. Mayor/ vice mayor Duterte claims its not his doing. :welcome2: But no matter who is responsible few citizens seem to have any complaint about it. People from manila come here and are amazed that you can walk down the street with your bag or cel in plain view

The PNP still does that with criminals, not to mention the Vigilante groups. Not exclusively for crimes on foreigners.

The more I hear about that guy the more I like him.

Yes, the Duterte's are undoubtly popular among the resident of Davao. And aside from the 'tough" stand he(she) is doing also a very good job on other things.

And since Asia ticks different than our societies, (no critic meant in that) it may be a good thing to show a "tough" hand in handling criminals and other issues.

But how far can one Mayor go? Above examples are surely good publicity for many, otherwise he would not do that, but in the sense of the law absolutely unacceptable. In fact, criminal.

I rather liked the approach of Thomas Osmena, he simply warned, as of .... taxis have to have meters and uniform and must be certain type of vehicles.Nobody (the operators) cared about it, but when the deadline came up, Cebu City had about 5 taxis left on the road. 6 weeks later he got what he (and the public) wanted. Shiny white new taxis with meters and correctly dressed drivers.

There are more examples, but one is enough to show what i mean.

On the issue of the vigilantes in Cebu City, he loudly said, "He personally agrees with it" but "sadly" the law is against them- which caused a huge controversy in the media and parts for the public. Most probably because the situation in Cebu is not like Mindanao with other insurgencies around., which make the public there a bit more concerned in General.

as to vigilantes in General, it worries me, because where does the buck stop? Are ALL dead ones (i avoid to say victims) really criminals. What stops members of the vigilantes to shoot at others, say squatters on their land? And is their a minimum age to kill a criminal? Just thinking...

Davaoeno

Guenther- of course everyone likes a 'tough on crime ' scenario- until they themselves are accused of a crime [ either justifiably so or in error ]

I think that what keeps vigilantism in check - at least here in Davao- is public opinion. If the people ever think that the DDS is going too far and that they dont feel safe then people will create a fuss. But so far that has not happened.

There were some reports of kids in ghettos disappearing - ie as in Rio- but since it turned out that they were mostly robbers no one got too concerned about it. But - as always- absolute power.............

Stranded Shipscook

Guenther- of course everyone likes a 'tough on crime ' scenario- until they themselves are accused of a crime [ either justifiably so or in error ]

I think that what keeps vigilantism in check - at least here in Davao- is public opinion. If the people ever think that the DDS is going too far and that they dont feel safe then people will create a fuss. But so far that has not happened.

There were some reports of kids in ghettos disappearing - ie as in Rio- but since it turned out that they were mostly robbers no one got too concerned about it. But - as always- absolute power.............

Yup, Davao is a special place and many people in cebu always use that example here too, which shows that strong hands are very welcome in the Philippines.

Other cultures, others customs. Nothing to loose his head about in my opinion.

Criminals do have rights.

But if you "punish" them by putting them in jail, and the jail is nicer than their home, that doesn't have much deterring affect on crime either.

It boggles my mind when Somali pirates enter the western justice system. Afterwards they can write a book, apply for citizenship, and open a Somali restaurant.

You can argue that summary execution or assassinations doesn't deter criminals (it has in Davao). In any case THAT criminal is done screwing up the quality of life for the rest of us.

Davaoeno

I believe that any type of strict law enforcement is only as valuable as the integrity of the enforcer is

[ too lazy to correct my grammar!lol]

It is interesting that the ones getting whacked are the little guys, petty criminals who can't retaliate. I still don't see the big guys getting whacked unless its an election turf war between competing families.

Spot on Art. The real criminals are living the high life.

Joe Estrada got jailed because he wasn't from the filipino aristocracy.

I was in Manila in 1982. A couple of guys in a jeepney pulled knives and started to relieve passengers of their valuables. The plainclothes cop seated along with them in the jeepney pulled out his .45 auto and shot them both dead. After that they didn't rob any more jeepneys.

God! I just love a good story with a "Happy Ending".

SkyMan

I was in Manila in 1982. A couple of guys in a jeepney pulled knives and started to relieve passengers of their valuables. The plainclothes cop seated along with them in the jeepney pulled out his .45 auto and shot them both dead. After that they didn't rob any more jeepneys.

God! I just love a good story with a "Happy Ending".

And hey, that's 2 guys detered from any further life of crime proving that death is a very good deterent.

tom_shor

That would have been me saying that, among a few others, in the context of the death penalty. I still stand for it, meaning death penalty doesn't prevent crime.

That is not true. There is no case in which someone who received the death penalty committed further crimes. It is the only rehabilitation that is 100% effective. If others don't learn a lesson from that then we have more rope for their rehabilitation.

I won't post the whole story here but, I've personaly seen and witnessed "Barangay Justice"..... I must say, I believe in it and support it. No problems with crime in Sagay,toledo city....hehehehehe

I can tell you he is VERY popular. The new Sherriff in town certainly did his job when he got elected here. No more snatching, no more open robberies, drug dealers scared to death [ often literally ]. Someone got caught doing a robbery- Duterte was seen on tv going into the guys cel and slapping him around.

Solved the taxi problem also- it was raining and some taxi driver refused to give a pregnant woman a ride to the area she wanted. Duterte put the fear of God into the taxi drivers- threatened instant license cancellation for anyone ever refusing to take a fare where they wanted to go. Drug dealers are know to simply disappear. About 2 months ago a jeepney driver who was driving way too fast hit a coca cola truck head on. Death toll was either 10 or 11, including a woman and her 2 kids. The guy was let out of jail that evening and was shot the same night.

And as much as it offends my liberal sensitivities it is kinda nice to live in a city where i feel so safe.

Davao is well known for the DDS [ Davao Death Squad]. Mayor/ vice mayor Duterte claims its not his doing. :P But no matter who is responsible few citizens seem to have any complaint about it. People from manila come here and are amazed that you can walk down the street with your bag or cel in plain view

The PNP still does that with criminals, not to mention the Vigilante groups. Not exclusively for crimes on foreigners.

But hold on a minute. The jeepney driver gets whacked for driving too fast> ie murdered for a mistake.

Now if one of the vigilantes get the wrong man, does the vigilante then get whacked as well?

Davaoeno

He didnt die for making a mistake- he died because he didnt give a shit about other peoples lifes and killed 10 or 11 of them- including almost one whole family !!

Many people die for making mistakes ie it was a mistake to try to rob that bank with a gun, it was a mistake to murder my wifes lover, it was a mistake to get drunk and drive 100 mph the wrong way on the freeway. Most unnatural deaths are the results of mistakes.

Davao is well known for the DDS [ Davao Death Squad]. Mayor/ vice mayor Duterte claims its not his doing. :P But no matter who is responsible few citizens seem to have any complaint about it. People from manila come here and are amazed that you can walk down the street with your bag or cel in plain view

But hold on a minute. The jeepney driver gets whacked for driving too fast> ie murdered for a mistake.

Now if one of the vigilantes get the wrong man, does the vigilante then get whacked as well?

He didnt die for making a mistake- he died because he didnt give a shit about other peoples lifes and killed 10 or 11 of them- including almost one whole family !!

Many people die for making mistakes ie it was a mistake to try to rob that bank with a gun, it was a mistake to murder my wifes lover, it was a mistake to get drunk and drive 100 mph the wrong way on the freeway. Most unnatural deaths are the results of mistakes.

Davao is well known for the DDS [ Davao Death Squad]. Mayor/ vice mayor Duterte claims its not his doing. :) But no matter who is responsible few citizens seem to have any complaint about it. People from manila come here and are amazed that you can walk down the street with your bag or cel in plain view

one of my favourite movies as a kid was The Ox Bow Incident with Henry Fonda.

Stranded Shipscook

That is not true. There is no case in which someone who received the death penalty committed further crimes. It is the only rehabilitation that is 100% effective. If others don't learn a lesson from that then we have more rope for their rehabilitation.

that is exactly the point of China too

Ozepete

Yup, Davao is a special place and many people in cebu always use that example here too, which shows that strong hands are very welcome in the Philippines.

Other cultures, others customs. Nothing to loose his head about in my opinion.

I know its a bit off topic, but really Guenther, your comments often make such a lot of sense, but, it is nearly impossible to take them seriously while my lefty eye is looking at that goose in the corner...

And this a post about shooting criminals! Whoops, obviously they missed one! rofl.gif