What is the Dirty Kitchen ?

thebob

not once did I say that people who dont hold my point of view are " whiners or malcontents" . Please have enuf respect to actually read what I wrote before you misquote me and comment. !

Personally I'm not into " assuaging fears " . I think Paul is a big enuf man not to let a few people determine how things will continue. Or at least thats been my impression of Paul. If the DK closes because a few people cant stomach it then we all lose. Cant give up your life for a bunch of whiners and mal contents. They always exist- in every situation in life- hopefully by now most of us have lived long enuf to see them for what they are and treat them accordingly.

Yes Bob but for those who copy the last 20 replies to say "yeah" it can be usefull especialy on a slow net lol and the biggest complainers here are those that dont want to use the DK just prevent those that do

There do seem to be those who for whatever reasons, would like to see the DK closed.

I am hoping that an explanation of the goings on in the Dirty Kitchen will assuage their fears, and convince them not to appeal to Paul for it's closure.

Let's get something straight here,

this is an open forum where people express their views and opinions...... some people happen to think the DK detracts from this site as a whole.... some people don't.. just because people don't happen to hold your point of view it doesn't make them "whiners or mal contents".... they just happen to have a point of view that differs from your own.

"If the DK closes because a few people cant stomach it then we all lose. Cant give up your life for a bunch of whiners and mal contents. They always exist- in every situation in life- hopefully by now most of us have lived long enuf to see them for what they are and treat them accordingly"

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebob

• Davaoeno

• ILPI

• Stranded Shipscook

Davaoeno

appology accepted !!

not once did I say that people who dont hold my point of view are " whiners or malcontents" . Please have enuf respect to actually read what I wrote before you misquote me and comment. !

Personally I'm not into " assuaging fears " . I think Paul is a big enuf man not to let a few people determine how things will continue. Or at least thats been my impression of Paul. If the DK closes because a few people cant stomach it then we all lose. Cant give up your life for a bunch of whiners and mal contents. They always exist- in every situation in life- hopefully by now most of us have lived long enuf to see them for what they are and treat them accordingly.

Yes Bob but for those who copy the last 20 replies to say "yeah" it can be usefull especialy on a slow net lol and the biggest complainers here are those that dont want to use the DK just prevent those that do

There do seem to be those who for whatever reasons, would like to see the DK closed.

I am hoping that an explanation of the goings on in the Dirty Kitchen will assuage their fears, and convince them not to appeal to Paul for it's closure.

Let's get something straight here,

this is an open forum where people express their views and opinions...... some people happen to think the DK detracts from this site as a whole.... some people don't.. just because people don't happen to hold your point of view it doesn't make them "whiners or mal contents".... they just happen to have a point of view that differs from your own.

"If the DK closes because a few people cant stomach it then we all lose. Cant give up your life for a bunch of whiners and mal contents. They always exist- in every situation in life- hopefully by now most of us have lived long enuf to see them for what they are and treat them accordingly"

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thebob

@ ILPI you are one of the posters who this topic was started for.

In the previous thread when Paul gave his permission for you, or anyone else to open this topic you had already voiced displeasure about the DK.

I understand that you feel that the DK only incites animosity between posters, and that this could trickle up into the forum as a whole.

To be quite honest with you there was a risk that this could have happened, but luckily, it hasn't.

I feel the DK is a very useful place for posters to let off steam, and post without restriction, even though some of those posts are puerile.

Headshot

Let's get something straight here, this is an open forum where people express their views and opinions...... some people happen to think the DK detracts from this site as a whole.... some people don't.. just because people don't happen to hold your point of view it doesn't make them "whiners or mal contents".... they just happen to have a point of view that differs from your own.

Davaolife,

Actually, what you said in your previous post could easily be construed exactly as Ilpi did (as an insult). And...your last reply (before you editted out the really offensive part at the beginning) is getting dangerously close to being a personal attack. You know what I'm talking about. My suggestion is that both of you need to back off a few paces. Maybe you should try out the "ignore" button so you don't have to read what each other writes.

I have stayed out of this discussion because I have never asked to be included in the Dirty Kitchen (because I didn't like the previous version), and I really don't give a crap about it. So far, a bit of DK mentality has spilled over into the regular forums, but not too much...and on the bright side, some of those who have devoted themselves to the DK haven't made as many appearances in the regular forums. So...all in all, I would have to say it's been a success. If anybody doesn't like the things that are said in the DK, then they can do like me and just opt out of it (actually, in my case I never opted in). If the DK nonsense spills over into the regular forums, I have no doubt that those who do so will be taken care of swiftly.

Edited by Headshot
Davaoeno

where exactly is this ignore button? i cant find it

Let's get something straight here, this is an open forum where people express their views and opinions...... some people happen to think the DK detracts from this site as a whole.... some people don't.. just because people don't happen to hold your point of view it doesn't make them "whiners or mal contents".... they just happen to have a point of view that differs from your own.

Davaolife,

Actually, what you said in your previous post could easily be construed exactly as Ilpi did (as an insult). And...your last reply (before you editted out the really offensive part at the beginning) is getting dangerously close to being a personal attack. You know what I'm talking about. My suggestion is that both of you need to back off a few paces. Maybe you should try out the "ignore" button so you don't have to read what each other writes.

I have stayed out of this discussion because I have never asked to be included in the Dirty Kitchen (because I didn't like the previous version), and I really don't give a crap about it. So far, a bit of DK mentality has spilled over into the regular forums, but not too much...and on the bright side, some of those who have devoted themselves to the DK haven't made as many appearances in the regular forums. So...all in all, I would have to say it's been a success. If anybody doesn't like the things that are said in the DK, then they can do like me and just opt out of it (actually, in my case I never opted in). If the DK nonsense spills over into the regular forums, I have no doubt that those who do so will be taken care of swiftly.

Stranded Shipscook

Davaolife,

i can't pm you, dont know why, so i just explain you the function..(It is no button yet, that's why i suggested it earlier)

on the right corner you see your profile name, click on it and a pull down menu apperas. one on the list says 'Manage ignored users". Click on that and the rest is selfexplanatory...

I was involved in a discussion upstairs that dealt with Politics - a few months ago. Most of the participants were conservative, but there were a few liberals (me). The discussion was lively, but very respectful - of the politicians we touched on and each other. But because the topic was politics and that is against the rules upstairs, it was closed down.

Shortly after that Lee, Pete and Bob got Paul to re-open the DK. I was not a member when the Kitchen was open before, but it was my understanding it was a more free-for-all environment. The decorum rules were more relaxed and it was wide open. I don't know why the Original DK was closed. But based on the rules for the new DK it is my guess that disagreements from the DK spread into other topics - the new rules are simple - what is said there stays there - you move an argument, disagreement and insults from the DK to upstairs - you are done - don't let the door hit you on the way out. No complaining about feelings being hurt - if you don't have a thick skin don't bother joining- there maybe one or two other rules, but they are pretty simple.

I heard about it through the grapevine, and asked to join and was giving the password to get in. Paul has since given us a method so we older guys don't have to remember passwords. I have posted a couple of @#$%@er posts, just because I can't do it on this forum

So far most of the topics that have been started are somewhat lame - and within a few posts turn into an insult fest and questioning one's sexuality, which is OK - but every topic?

I am sure we are going through some growing pains and will find a topic or two that we can sink our teeth into and get some good conversations going on - it might be taking something from upstairs and bringing it down to the DK - however one problem I have noticed is that maybe people who are involved in good discussions upstairs, are not members downstairs. Which is too bad, because I think those people would be critical to having good, lively conversations, without worrying about moving into a touchy subject.

Time will till.

I was invited to start a thread on this earlier......

you have beaten me to it....

IMO.... the DK is a place for lazy people who can't be bothered to express themselves in a reasonable fashion to hang out.... the topics are not that much different from topics in the general forums...it just allows people to be vulgar .....

I thought it best to start this thread and explain what the DK is about.

I understand that it is not to everyones taste, and that profanity and vulgarity are the medium of choice of some.

But it is also refreshing to discuss religion and politics among other subjects, without having to pander to a possibly prudish or easily shocked audience.

Free speech is a double edged sword.

It is interesting that the recently banned members were some of the least interested in continuing discussion in the DK, and constantly bickered with other members.

I think that without the outlet that the DK gave them they would have been banned earlier. I can't recall any real help or advise they offered anyone anywhere.

Personally I will continue to post in all sections if I feel I have something to contribute.

I don't normally like short replies, but this one deserves it

AMEN BROTHER

and on the bright side, some of those who have devoted themselves to the DK haven't made as many appearances in the regular forums.

Thanks for pointing out a benefit I hadn't considered.

SkyMan

Thanks for posting about the DK. However, I disaqree with Paul allowing you to post outside the DK allowing you to recruit for the DK. I find the fact that it exists distasteful and I particularly find some of the people who post there distasteful. I have blocked some of those people and I'm particularly glad that ability exists. I, hopefuly, am not allowed to post there. It would be a block I would never attempt to violate. These are my honest opinions and I'm attacking no one in particular. If you're offended by my remarks please feel free to flame to your hearts content cause I won't be back to this thread again. Have a nice DK free day.

Davaolife,

OK....i have stayed out of this too but I think it is time a couple of things were said:

1. In the DK..........WE DON'T TALK ABOUT YOU.

2. No really ........ we don't.

3. The comment that Loosehead made (rightly so IMHO) - "getting dangerously close to being a personal attack" is something we don't have to walk on eggshells over in the DK.

4. We all know in there, the hard rule - IT STAYS THERE. We understand the consequences of our actions.

5. We wont spoil your game & you should let us play ours. If we were on a Yahoo group or hosted separately as Keith Angel offered, what would be different - logging onto a different server?

6. The real thing that happens in the DK is free conversation. It just flows. On topic, off topic, funny, serious, a dig here & a jab there. It isn't kindergarten, we talk as adults.

7. Someone commented earlier about mixed company (ladies present) totally agree. I am British. I do not swear in front of ladies but at a party or get together, the ladies often split off to talk about us & we in turn get together and... err ....loosen up out of earshot.........THAT IS THE DK.

8. Check it out....I still post in the main forums too. I even start threads.

OK enough.....I hope you get the point. The DK is no threat to the main forum IMHO. Go about you lives and post as usual helping & advising on living here as I do too...:closedeyes:

Headshot

OK....i have stayed out of this too but I think it is time a couple of things were said:

1. In the DK..........WE DON'T TALK ABOUT YOU.

2. No really ........ we don't.

3. The comment that Loosehead made (rightly so IMHO) - "getting dangerously close to being a personal attack" is something we don't have to walk on eggshells over in the DK.

4. We all know in there, the hard rule - IT STAYS THERE. We understand the consequences of our actions.

5. We wont spoil your game & you should let us play ours. If we were on a Yahoo group or hosted separately as Keith Angel offered, what would be different - logging onto a different server?

6. The real thing that happens in the DK is free conversation. It just flows. On topic, off topic, funny, serious, a dig here & a jab there. It isn't kindergarten, we talk as adults.

7. Someone commented earlier about mixed company (ladies present) totally agree. I am British. I do not swear in front of ladies but at a party or get together, the ladies often split off to talk about us & we in turn get together and... err ....loosen up out of earshot.........THAT IS THE DK.

8. Check it out....I still post in the main forums too. I even start threads.

OK enough.....I hope you get the point. The DK is no threat to the main forum IMHO. Go about you lives and post as usual helping & advising on living here as I do too...:thumbs_up:

Ummmm...

I'm not sure where this came from. If you read my post, I said that overall I think the new DK has been a success. I know that any problems will be taken care of. I don't really care if anybody talks about me in the DK. I don't go there, so I wouldn't know if they were...but even if they are...I don't care. I'm glad you still post in the regular forums. You contribute a lot and I appreciate your opinions.

So...I really don't get your point...or were you not really talking to me even though you responded to my post?

Jess Bartone

.....feel free to flame to your hearts content cause I won't be back to this thread again.....

Ripper we can talk behind Skyman's back now.

Ummmm...

I'm not sure where this came from. If you read my post, I said that overall I think the new DK has been a success. I know that any problems will be taken care of. I don't really care if anybody talks about me in the DK. I don't go there, so I wouldn't know if they were...but even if they are...I don't care. I'm glad you still post in the regular forums. You contribute a lot and I appreciate your opinions.

So...I really don't get your point...or were you not really talking to me even though you responded to my post?

Oops.....sorry........error #1 I said Loosehead when I meant Headshot...my bad and #2 I responded to 2 things, your opening comment: - "I have stayed out of this discussion" ....me too and to agree with your observations particularly the 'personal attack' reference.

The rest was to address in my POV what was being p*ssyfooted around to some degree.