What is the Dirty Kitchen ?

thebob

BaniladBadBoy

I thought the first rule of the Dirty Kitchen was : No. 1 there is no Dirty Kitchen . . . blush.gif

#1 - The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.

#2 - The second rule of Fight Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

Haven't been to the "Dirty Kitchen". If it's too dirty I may have to report it to the Dept. of Health!!rofl.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebob

• Davaoeno

• ILPI

• Stranded Shipscook

KeithAngel

As a previous poster said its a place where guys can meet up and talk, sometimes irreverantly without suffering the controling re offtopic, religeon,some of which, is more to do with who the moderator is, rather than the content of itself.

I also didnt enjoy the permanent abuse cycle of some posters but the ignore button works just fine in the DK to for ultra sensitive souls, that said, its starting to setle down now and I envisage it developing further, albeit with occasional, hopefully artfull, flaming and trolling but all in good fun and with the most humour posters can manage.

Paul if you ever do decide to shut it down again, for whatever reason I may very well be able to negotiate a space for the DK to continue,for those members that wish on a UK forum that Im a member of perhaps as a seperate space

Of course without connection to linc if thats your wish, I wouldnt want to loose the connection with the guys there now or the freedom of expression afforded

I think that many of the factions / animosities in the DK, actually started "upstairs", here in the regular forums.

That the DK has attenuated these "strong views", I would say isn't under dispute. But bringing these issues to a head has helped clear the board of some of the more odious members, it has only acellerated the inevitable and saved the rest of the forum from constant petty jibes.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post James, you are outspoken, but that is because you hold firm views. If other posters here followed your lead then more could be accomplished.

Any Mod who has been threatened with banning cant be that bad regardless of His personal fantasies :)

Edited by Keith Angel
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

I thought the first rule of the Dirty Kitchen was : No. 1 there is no Dirty Kitchen . . . blush.gif

hypothetically speaking there is no Dirty Kitchen

The DK has had a spluttering stop start existence. It started as a forum open to anyone with a certain post count, then it was closed.

Then it was opened to anyone who requested a password. This was even a problem for one member who wanted to have himself removed because he couldn't trust himself to not log in!

Next as it is now, you need to be added, at your own request to a "white list" which grants you access.

Lee From Cebu was instrumental in reopening the DK, and it is rumored that this involved persuading Paul, in an unimaginable manner.

No doubt the constant changing of the system has prevented some of the previously active members from posting.

We also suffered until recently from a small extremely vocal group of "flametards", that did nothing but to make themselves look foolish and juvenile.

Finally the DK is settling down again, so I expect it to be closed quite soon!

God, that was funny as hell, Bob. :D

Sorry, folks, an inside joke.

we're talkin Lee

it wasn't all that unimaginable

Stranded Shipscook

Just as Keith mentioned, the IGNORE function works very well for me too. I used it in the regular forum with the effect, that the "exited" person runs into empty space and simply stops after a while. Most probably wondering why he does not get anymore replies.

Which brings up the thought in me...(forgive me if its silly, but i am under Anti flu medication) that it maybe is possible to publically show the 'ignored by" status. Similar to the post count..

Oh, and please put a real button next to the friend button or so..

It would be informative for new members too, if they get attacked by obnoxious people for whatever reason and looking at the "who" to see that the "aggressor" is already ignored by 15 other users.

It may be also educational by the 'ignored" one on the long term, because i think, even troll like personalities want to be seen and get attention. And then maybe change their attitude. ( i know, i am a hopeless optimist )

But i certainly would prefer that than the complete immediate ban, because everybody has its bad day/phase.

However, if those "ignored" ones keep on doing what they do, they still could be banned. Even automatically by the software.

But in this solution it would be more or less "democratic" as well as keeping a bit of the workload of Admin and Moderators.

just a thought

Edited by Guenther
thebob

I have a unique way of ignoring the ignore button, I just ignore posts I feel are worth ignoring and reply to those worth a reply.

Some people seem to think this is real life.

I can't understand people who would take an internet forum so seriously.

AND THE POINT IS?????

Being new, it would be in your best interest to read a while before posting similar replies.

KeithAngel

Yes Bob but for those who copy the last 20 replies to say "yeah" it can be usefull especialy on a slow net lol and the biggest complainers here are those that dont want to use the DK just prevent those that do

Jeepney

Where is this ignore button?

Or maybe i found it quite a while ago???

Piet.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i think the DK has been fairly successful to this point. i don't get the feeling that any new lines have been drawn or enemies made between members . i do think it gives people who already had differences, and not just differences of opinion, a better place to blow off steam rather than the regular forums.

as much as we would like people to take personal dispute private it very rarely happens and when it does it very rarely stays there. but i think the DK with it's Roman Arena atmosphere lets some people work out their frustrations when privacy just doesn't seem to do the trick for them

i think as long as it's members can keep their actions there separated from their actions here, and by far most have, it's a success.

people will blow off steam

better they should have a safe sandbox to do that in

does it take away from threads and posts that may be made in the regular forum? well i won't argue that it doesn't but i can't really say that i've seen that it has either

I have a unique way of ignoring the ignore button, I just ignore posts I feel are worth ignoring and reply to those worth a reply.

Some people seem to think this is real life.

I can't understand people who would take an internet forum so seriously.

as to ignoring people

not just in the DK not just in the forums as a whole but in life there are always people who can't fathom their opinion not being incredibly important to others and there are people who always feel the need to find the approval of others in their opinions. people are in a constant tug of war forever trying to convince the other guy to come over to their side

sometimes people just need to realize it really doesn't matter what other people think just as much as it shouldn't matter to other people what they think

recently in conversation with a friend i used a favorite quote of mine that i think sums up the DK fairly well if not life in general

it's a line H.G.Wells wrote in The War in the Air

" You ain't obliged to listen but I ain't obliged to shut up "

i think it's a good quote to always keep in mind whenever you deal with anyone any where but especially over the internet

well those are some of my opinions and they are worth just about as much as the electrons they are typed on

live your life as you wish and so will i

Edited by broden
spelling correction
thebob

Yes Bob but for those who copy the last 20 replies to say "yeah" it can be usefull especialy on a slow net lol and the biggest complainers here are those that dont want to use the DK just prevent those that do

There do seem to be those who for whatever reasons, would like to see the DK closed.

I am hoping that an explanation of the goings on in the Dirty Kitchen will assuage their fears, and convince them not to appeal to Paul for it's closure.

Davaoeno

Personally I'm not into " assuaging fears " . I think Paul is a big enuf man not to let a few people determine how things will continue. Or at least thats been my impression of Paul. If the DK closes because a few people cant stomach it then we all lose. Cant give up your life for a bunch of whiners and mal contents. They always exist- in every situation in life- hopefully by now most of us have lived long enuf to see them for what they are and treat them accordingly.

There do seem to be those who for whatever reasons, would like to see the DK closed.

I am hoping that an explanation of the goings on in the Dirty Kitchen will assuage their fears, and convince them not to appeal to Paul for it's closure.

Personally I'm not into " assuaging fears " . I think Paul is a big enuf man not to let a few people determine how things will continue. Or at least thats been my impression of Paul. If the DK closes because a few people cant stomach it then we all lose. Cant give up your life for a bunch of whiners and mal contents. They always exist- in every situation in life- hopefully by now most of us have lived long enuf to see them for what they are and treat them accordingly.

Let's get something straight here,

this is an open forum where people express their views and opinions...... some people happen to think the DK detracts from this site as a whole.... some people don't.. just because people don't happen to hold your point of view it doesn't make them "whiners or mal contents".... they just happen to have a point of view that differs from your own.

Davaoeno

not once did I say that people who dont hold my point of view are " whiners or malcontents" . Please have enuf respect to actually read what I wrote before you misquote me and comment. !

Let's get something straight here,

this is an open forum where people express their views and opinions...... some people happen to think the DK detracts from this site as a whole.... some people don't.. just because people don't happen to hold your point of view it doesn't make them "whiners or mal contents".... they just happen to have a point of view that differs from your own.

Edited by davaolife