What is the Dirty Kitchen ?

thebob

thebob

In the "real world" there are many problems that arise because people avoid difficult subjects. Almost every topic imaginable has an audience that finds it objectionable.

Defining a totally neutral subject isn't possible.

For example, we have discussions on family life, these may be objectionable to orphans. We have discussions on many subjects that "some" people may find objectionable. This forum has certain rules concerning what can be discussed or not, these rules shape the membership.

If there is one feature that sets this country apart from the rest of asia, it is religion. One of the first questions asked by new acquaintances, are about your church or your religion. Yet that is one of the subjects that are considered inflammatory. Politics is a subject, freely discussed by pinoys where ever they meet, yet the membership here is constrained by rules from a different culture.

One of the lessons to be learnt by living here is to see how this country is a union of different political ideals and religious beliefs. It may be an uneasy union at times, but to ignore these things, is to miss a large part of what makes this country what it is.

I admit that the DK has some very rude and darn right stupid posters. But it also is a forum that "can" be used for discussing controversial subjects, that are only relevant in the Philippines.

I understand that it is not for everybody, but I also think it has a part to play.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebob

• Davaoeno

• ILPI

• Stranded Shipscook

I was one of the main advocates for the original DK because I used to post a lot of articles that stirred debate and often crossed over the bounds of allowed topics. What I've sampled in the new DK falls short of what we envisioned the original to be -- a place where banned topics like politics and religion could be discussed and debated in a civil manner but also in a more or less member-moderated forum. I log into the new DK occasionally. Basically, it seems to me that regardless of topic, most threads in the DK are essentially the same because they quickly disintegrate into insults and name calling dominated almost always by the same few guys. Also I worry that by allowing these kind of interpersonal attacks to occur, certain members will inevitably start to turn on each other -- inwardly or outwardly -- to a much higher degree than would have occurred otherwise. I believe that's bad for the forum. Not my cup of tea so I stick to reading the main forum 99% of the time.

Edited by Willie

I agree with Alan and was a bit dismayed when it was re-opened knowing that it would only be a matter of time before someone got banned. It wasn't a case of "if", but of "when".

As one who was directly involved in the recent incident which led to Paul banning one member and stiffening the rules, I think the Dirty Kitchen has outlived any usefulness it might have had and I suggest it be hosted elsewhere (eg as a Yahoo Group) if it is to continue. As we have witnessed, it is all to easy for some members to forget where they are and bring their DK posting style into the public forums. I think it's fair to say that the DK's existence has indirectly led to the removal of the warning system and increased the likelihood of more people being banned from this site who would otherwise have been warned and subject to lesser sanctions - temporary suspension of their posting privileges or their posts being subject to moderator approval.

You mention it being a place where religion and politics can be discussed freely. Both these subjects are no-go areas on almost all message boards as they are two subjects that will inflame passions and cause upset and/or offence to others. And so they do in the DK.

I haven't read one topic there that hasn't degenerated into name-calling, expletives and personal attacks. As such it has little or no value to me.

Mark

This is my view on the whole DK topic:

I feel as though the main ones who caused problems in the Dirty Kitchen, and possibly elsewhere on the forums, will slowly be removed from this site.

Perhaps, then, the DK will serve the purpose of allowing those topics which are controversial on the rest of the site to be discussed in an adult manner.

Jess Bartone

...it just allows people to be vulgar .....

It's much more than that, but essentially you're right. When I drink with a group of men, sometimes I get vulgar, we all do, and the ones who don't like it don't associate. That's how I see the DK, a kind of a piss-up for the boys.

But it got very boring very fast.....

.....I try not so say anything on the forum I wouldn't say to someones face so i will stay out of the dk for now.

Yes it has become boring. One protagonist in particular has taken abuse to an artform... albeit of the Bohemian genre... now simply repetitive one-liners.

Some members would do well to take note of the comment about what they would/wouldn't say to someone's face.

I feel as though the main ones who caused problems in the Dirty Kitchen, and possibly elsewhere on the forums, will slowly be removed from this site.

I hope this expunging will be administered without fear or favour... some of the banned did nothing worse (apart from bringing it upstairs) than what the favoured ones do with reckless abandon, on a minute-by-minute basis.

I hope this expunging will be administered without fear or favour... some of the banned did nothing worse (apart from bringing it upstairs) than what the favoured ones do with reckless abandon, on a minute-by-minute basis.

Oh really?

Har de har har har

Pete of New Hampshire

For Real

Oh really?

Har de har har har

Pete of New Hampshire

This forum is not the place for equality...just know your place in the pecking order...if you get banned whilst others continue to dance a merry trail, it could make a good story on Oprah.com

From the point where I made the two original posts (the other day, both upstairs and in the Dirty Kitchen), the rules I set will be applied to everyone, friend or foe, new member or old, any anyone in between. All they have to do is to push just a wee little bit, and they will find out if I mean it or not. When I said shit was going to change on this site, I meant it. I meant it then, and I mean it now. I will mean it next week too. It will not change.

Anyone advertising without permission will be banned, with the exception of the allowances given to full members and above in the classified ads. Anyone being outright mean to anyone else, attacking them for no reason, etc., will be banned. Those two rules will be applied without prejudice, without delay.

As you (collective) can see, each of your warn panels have been removed. No more warnings will be given to anyone. The reason they will no longer be given is, people do not have to walk on egg shells concerning these two rules. They are black and white.

Here is my thought behind becoming so strict with the personal attacks rule. If I put a stop to the personal attacks, everything else will fall in place.

Edited by Admin
Davaoeno

ILPI said:

I was invited to start a thread on this earlier......

you have beaten me to it....

IMO.... the DK is a place for lazy people who can't be bothered to express themselves in a reasonable fashion to hang out.... the topics are not that much different from topics in the general forums...it just allows people to be vulgar .....

totally disagree with you ! I find almost none of the people in the DK to be lazy [ unlike many posters on the regular forums who want someone else to do their research for them!] . Also most people there do express themselves in a reasonable fashion. And it does far more than allow people to be vulgar- it allows [ well until a couple of days ago anyway] people to discuss things in a less formal manner- and with less of the regular social niceties. Mano a mano

I would respond to your critisism in a more frank way- if this question was being discussed in the DK !!! [ the word "facile' might very well come up ]

Edited by davaolife
mikejwoodnz

I thought the first rule of the Dirty Kitchen was : No. 1 there is no Dirty Kitchen . . . blush.gif

thebob

I thought the first rule of the Dirty Kitchen was : No. 1 there is no Dirty Kitchen . . . blush.gif

The DK has had a spluttering stop start existence. It started as a forum open to anyone with a certain post count, then it was closed.

Then it was opened to anyone who requested a password. This was even a problem for one member who wanted to have himself removed because he couldn't trust himself to not log in!

Next as it is now, you need to be added, at your own request to a "white list" which grants you access.

Lee From Cebu was instrumental in reopening the DK, and it is rumored that this involved persuading Paul, in an unimaginable manner.

No doubt the constant changing of the system has prevented some of the previously active members from posting.

We also suffered until recently from a small extremely vocal group of "flametards", that did nothing but to make themselves look foolish and juvenile.

Finally the DK is settling down again, so I expect it to be closed quite soon!

mikejwoodnz

*things* . . . . *more things* . . .

hmmm but won't that be in violation of Rule No. 1 ? scratch_head.gif

JamesMusslewhite

I was always, indeed am, against the DK.

In the "real world" in any situation, there are topics that you dont discuss and people with whom you dont discuss them.

There are some topics that you wouldnt discuss with your boss or your mother.

In a situation where you didnt know anything about the people you were with, you would be circumspect to avoid giving offence or starting an argument.

That is just the basic social niceties that all (or almost all) of us adhere to every day.

On the internet there are places where some topics are appropriate and others where it isnt.

This board is a source of information about visiting and living in Cebu and to a lesser extent, other areas in the Philippines.

It is "family oriented" as many here are living there with their wives and families, rather than the tourist who go to the Philippines for nightlife, as some people do.

Being family oriented also means we get numerous Filipinas here and, as when with any female company, one should be a little more circumspect than wehn out "with the lads".

You want to discuss "nightlife", there are many boards on that topic.

You want to discuss religion, again, there are boards about that subject.

You want to spend your time swapping insults with other people and swearing at each other, I am sure there are boards where that is normal behaviour.

This isnt it. It isnt any of them. And I dont believe it should be.

Hence, you wont find me in the DK.

I myself am religious but have refrained DK topics on the subject of religion. Religion/ non-Religion are subjects that must be discussed with intelligence, respect, and reverence. Not by those only trying to seek vindication, validation, or desiring only to flame due to personal insecurities, predigest, personal agendas, or inherent intellectual dishonesty.

I tend to look at the DK, but rarely engage in the threads, it would be reminisce of the Stealers Wheel Lyrics - "Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am, Stuck in the middle with you."

The DK has had a spluttering stop start existence. It started as a forum open to anyone with a certain post count, then it was closed.

Then it was opened to anyone who requested a password. This was even a problem for one member who wanted to have himself removed because he couldn't trust himself to not log in!

Next as it is now, you need to be added, at your own request to a "white list" which grants you access.

Lee From Cebu was instrumental in reopening the DK, and it is rumored that this involved persuading Paul, in an unimaginable manner.

No doubt the constant changing of the system has prevented some of the previously active members from posting.

We also suffered until recently from a small extremely vocal group of "flametards", that did nothing but to make themselves look foolish and juvenile.

God, that was funny as hell, Bob. :)

Sorry, folks, an inside joke.

thebob

I myself am religious but have refrained DK topics on the subject of religion. Religion/ non-Religion are subjects that must be discussed with intelligence, respect, and reverence. Not by those only trying to seek vindication, validation, or desiring only to flame due to personal insecurities, predigest, personal agendas, or inherent intellectual dishonesty.

I tend to look at the DK, but rarely engage in the threads, it would be reminisce of the Stealers Wheel Lyrics - "Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am, Stuck in the middle with you."

I think that many of the factions / animosities in the DK, actually started "upstairs", here in the regular forums.

That the DK has attenuated these "strong views", I would say isn't under dispute. But bringing these issues to a head has helped clear the board of some of the more odious members, it has only acellerated the inevitable and saved the rest of the forum from constant petty jibes.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post James, you are outspoken, but that is because you hold firm views. If other posters here followed your lead then more could be accomplished.