What is the Dirty Kitchen ?

thebob

thebob

Some people may have noticed that there is a sub-forum called the Dirty Kitchen.

With the permission of Paul (Admin) I've started this thread to explain it's function, and it's name, and give everyone an opportunity to comment.

Here is a description of the "DK" that I wrote just after it was first opened.

"In most of the Philippines, the grunt work of preparing food is done in the dirty kitchen.

This can involve butchering animals or preparing large fruits or muddy vegetables that are too dirty to take into the kitchen.

LINC has rules about which topics can be discussed, unfortunately some topics in the main forum, degenerate and break these rules.

So the Dirty kitchen is a place, where these issues can be addressed, without offending the general members of LINC.

And hopefully, prepared for general consumption. "

The DK is a place where "almost" anything goes, but remember, people will judge you by your posts, whatever style they may take.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebob

• Davaoeno

• ILPI

• Stranded Shipscook

A_Simple_Man

Interesting question.

I see the DK as a separate, distinct type and style of forum which just happens to be linked to this site. The problems seem relate to people who cannot accept that it is a different forum to this one. You want to post here, fine. You want to post in the DK, fine. You want to post in both, fine. Just don't get the two confused. They are separate entities. There are many forums that are Philippine based and have a lot of the same members. Treat the DK just as you would treat those other forums and keep your DK conversations, animosities, problems, etc on that site, please. At least that is how I see it.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Interesting question.

I see the DK as a separate, distinct type and style of forum which just happens to be linked to this site. The problems seem relate to people who cannot accept that it is a different forum to this one. You want to post here, fine. You want to post in the DK, fine. You want to post in both, fine. Just don't get the two confused. They are separate entities. There are many forums that are Philippine based and have a lot of the same members. Treat the DK just as you would treat those other forums and keep your DK conversations, animosities, problems, etc on that site, please. At least that is how I see it.

well put

I was invited to start a thread on this earlier......

you have beaten me to it....

IMO.... the DK is a place for lazy people who can't be bothered to express themselves in a reasonable fashion to hang out.... the topics are not that much different from topics in the general forums...it just allows people to be vulgar .....

Stranded Shipscook

Right now ( jan25.2011) the hottest topic is Quantum Physics and the existence of GOD...:) i hope i did not break the rule here...just want to gives an insight...

Lee From Cebu

IMO.... the DK is a place for lazy people who can't be bothered to express themselves in a reasonable fashion to hang out.... the topics are not that much different from topics in the general forums...it just allows people to be vulgar .....

As you are not a member of the DK how could you have any idea of the topics being discussed . I can assure you the topics are different than whats on the main forum . Most threads would be closed within hours of opening . Politics , religion ,firearms,amount of kids to have are just a few of the first page threads running now. I also see most members still post in the main forums about things that are helpful to all members .

As you are not a member of the DK how could you have any idea of the topics being discussed . I can assure you the topics are different than whats on the main forum . Most threads would be closed within hours of opening . Politics , religion ,firearms,amount of kids to have are just a few of the first page threads running now. I also see most members still post in the main forums about things that are helpful to all members .

I was a member of the first dirty kitchen Lee.... I got fed up of feeling bad about myself...I can mix it with anyone...I just got to the point where I felt bad about what I was saying, not what other people were saying.......

JamesMusslewhite

I was a member of the first dirty kitchen Lee.... I got fed up of feeling bad about myself...I can mix it with anyone...I just got to the point where I felt bad about what I was saying, not what other people were saying.......

Absolutely Right,

Profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate mother f-cker

thebob

I thought it best to start this thread and explain what the DK is about.

I understand that it is not to everyones taste, and that profanity and vulgarity are the medium of choice of some.

But it is also refreshing to discuss religion and politics among other subjects, without having to pander to a possibly prudish or easily shocked audience.

Free speech is a double edged sword.

It is interesting that the recently banned members were some of the least interested in continuing discussion in the DK, and constantly bickered with other members.

I think that without the outlet that the DK gave them they would have been banned earlier. I can't recall any real help or advise they offered anyone anywhere.

Personally I will continue to post in all sections if I feel I have something to contribute.

Kahuna

Absolutely Right,

Profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate mother f-cker

Nobody is being handled with kid gloves there so sometimes you may express things that others will not agree with.Some will ask you to give reasons for the post in a logical fahion,some will just express ridicule because they found the topic either so stupid or mundane it was beyond their own beliefs it was even posted.A thick skin is recommened there, but a recent house cleaning has cut out much of the harsher aspects of being a DKer..

I was also one of the first people in to the original dirty kitchen. I thought the idea and the name of the forum suggested by thebob were a great idea. But it got very boring very fast. A lot of topics were discussed there that, in my view, should have been on the open forum so more people could join in. This detracted from the overall forum.

I also think there is a fundamental problem with having one area of the forum where abuse is encouraged and another part of the same forum where respect is required. It's no surprise some of the animosity carries over to the main forum.

I try not so say anything on the forum I wouldn't say to someones face so i will stay out of the dk for now.

Edited by loosehead
Mr. Mike

I would agree that the DK got a little rough at times, but mostly due to profanity mixed with insults, especially the INSULTS! I and others have questioned this before. The DK in IMO, is supposed to be a forum where controversial, perhaps irreverent, off the wall, and serious topics can be discussed and examined. It is also a place to joke around, :unsure: poke around, :unsure: and mix it up a little bit. :unsure: The DK is supposed to be fun not painful!.........I would continue, but I'm too lazy!

musicman666

dk seems to me to be a lot of guys trying to be nasty to each other but its all forced because its "the dirty kitchen".. quite pathetic really. :unsure:

Mr. Mike

dk seems to me to be a lot of guys trying to be nasty to each other but its all forced because its "the dirty kitchen".. quite pathetic really. :unsure:

To be honest, it was just a handful of guys. :unsure:

I was always, indeed am, against the DK.

In the "real world" in any situation, there are topics that you dont discuss and people with whom you dont discuss them.

There are some topics that you wouldnt discuss with your boss or your mother.

In a situation where you didnt know anything about the people you were with, you would be circumspect to avoid giving offence or starting an argument.

That is just the basic social niceties that all (or almost all) of us adhere to every day.

On the internet there are places where some topics are appropriate and others where it isnt.

This board is a source of information about visiting and living in Cebu and to a lesser extent, other areas in the Philippines.

It is "family oriented" as many here are living there with their wives and families, rather than the tourist who go to the Philippines for nightlife, as some people do.

Being family oriented also means we get numerous Filipinas here and, as when with any female company, one should be a little more circumspect than wehn out "with the lads".

You want to discuss "nightlife", there are many boards on that topic.

You want to discuss religion, again, there are boards about that subject.

You want to spend your time swapping insults with other people and swearing at each other, I am sure there are boards where that is normal behaviour.

This isnt it. It isnt any of them. And I dont believe it should be.

Hence, you wont find me in the DK.