Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

My Lap top's Hard Drive Just Died..HELP!!!

Bill H

My Toshiba Lap Top hard drive just died. Where can I get a replacement in Cebu without worrying about pirating my sensitive data on my drive? Does anyone know?

Much Thanks,

Bill

USMC-Retired

You can get a new one at SM or a used one at OpenPinoy.com to replace it. Cost will depend on the type IED or Sata.

You can PM if you need one installed. Or you want to recover your system back to operation. I will come out and do it for you. Standard rate is 1500 pesos plus the drive. I work right in your home. You can watch so no worries of BS. I always wanted to go to Moaboal.

To Repair:

There are so few micro repair places here and I know of none in CEBU. Normally it is a transistor diode or resistor that failed on the drive. The platter or the head drive do not normally fail. Normally the failure is caused by a surge on the bus that overloads the drive. Getting them repaired in the states or eurpean countries is common practice. Here it is garbage time to buy a new one. Reason most people can not afford laptops and repairing a hard drive is not a priority.

Edited by Norseman

TheMatrix

Bill,

Take it to Green Valley Computer Repair. They are the most advanced hard drive recovery folks in Cebu. They have repaired/recovered a few of my drives and several members here with great success. They are located in RainTree shopping area, behind Jolibee. They are on Mango a couple blocks down from Robinson's.

Good luck

Or, Norseman will take care of you. He's one of the good guys! =))

Edited by SteveMatrix

USMC-Retired

Thanks Steve I did not know of that place. Data recovery can be done but repair is trickey. Glad to know of a place.

Sounds like I would try them first.

Edited by Norseman

TheMatrix

Thanks Steve I did not know of that place. Data recovery can be done but repair is trickey. Glad to know of a place.

Sounds like I would try them first.

Yup, Green Valley blows me away at how compentent they are! Very impressive! Hard drive repair centers are almost non-existent in the U.S. due to how labor intensive it is. Green Valley charges about 1500p, but if they don't repair, no charge.

Bill H

You can get a new one at SM or a used one at OpenPinoy.com to replace it. Cost will depend on the type IED or Sata.

You can PM if you need one installed. Or you want to recover your system back to operation. I will come out and do it for you. Standard rate is 1500 pesos plus the drive. I work right in your home. You can watch so no worries of BS. I always wanted to go to Moaboal.

To Repair:

There are so few micro repair places here and I know of none in CEBU. Normally it is a transistor diode or resistor that failed on the drive. The platter or the head drive do not normally fail. Normally the failure is caused by a surge on the bus that overloads the drive. Getting them repaired in the states or eurpean countries is common practice. Here it is garbage time to buy a new one. Reason most people can not afford laptops and repairing a hard drive is not a priority.

Errrrrr feely like a dumby here, but how do you PM on this board? It's not obvious.

The drive to Moalboal is long, it would probably cost me more than the pooter for you to come all the way out here. Perhaps I could meet you in Cebu?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Bill

USMC-Retired

What model is it? I have a laptop drive here that is used. However I would part with it for a 1000 pesos. This is an older type drive IDE. What model is the laptop I can tell you if it is worth fixing or not.

If you did not want to fix it I can offer you a price for the machine. I am looking for used broken laptops

Edited by Norseman

Bill H

I'd really prefer to get it fixed if I can, failing that I guess put a new drive in it, used drives don't make a lot of sense to me. From what you said the drive is probably fixable and less than 2 years old in any case.

Toshiba Q0simo PQF-43U

Still can't figure out how to PM here.

Regards,

Bill

Paul
Still can't figure out how to PM here.

Read the rules. 50 posts before full access, unless you are a donor or advertiser.

USMC-Retired

If it were me I would take it to the place Steve Suggested. I do not have the tools or equipment to repair it. They also have a good rep from what Steve says. So that would be my choice. If all else fails then contact me back through the forum.

The computer is worth about 9000 to 12000 pesos is good working order. Condition plays apart. At least you know an investment of 4000 is cheaper then a similar one.

Edited by Norseman

Bill H

If it were me I would take it to the place Steve Suggested. I do not have the tools or equipment to repair it. They also have a good rep from what Steve says. So that would be my choice. If all else fails then contact me back through the forum.

The computer is worth about 9000 to 12000 pesos is good working order. Condition plays apart. At least you know an investment of 4000 is cheaper then a similar one.

WILCO headed that way tomorrow.

Much Thanks,

Bill

David_LivinginTalisay

The first Reliable Source of HELP for Hard DISK DRIVE problems is YOU!

Most HDD's today support 'SMART' (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology), reporting, and it makes SENSE to employ SOFTWARE alerting you to POTENTIAL problems, before they lead to actual Disk Failure (making reading of the Data on the HDD. much more difficult, one the HDD fails physically or electrically).

Background

The purpose of S.M.A.R.T. is to warn a user or a system administrator of impending drive failure while there is still time to take action, such as copying the data to a replacement device.

Hard disk failures fall into one of two basic classes:

• Predictable failures: These failures result from slow processes such as mechanical wear and gradual degradation of storage surfaces. Monitoring can determine when such failures are becoming more likely.
  • Unpredictable failures: These failures happen suddenly and without warning. They range from electronic components becoming defective to a sudden mechanical failure (perhaps due to improper handling).

Mechanical failures account for about 60% of all drive failures.[1] While the eventual failure may be catastrophic, most mechanical failures result from gradual wear and there are usually certain indications that failure is imminent. These may include increased heat output, increased noise level, problems with reading and writing of data, an increase in the number of damaged disk sectors.

Work at Google on over 100,000 drives has shown little overall predictive value of S.M.A.R.T. status as a whole, but suggests that certain sub-categories of information which some S.M.A.R.T. implementations track do correlate with actual failure rates: specifically, in the 60 days following the first scan error on a drive, the drive is, on average, 39 times more likely to fail than it would have been had no such error occurred. Furthermore, first errors in reallocations, offline reallocations and probational counts are strongly correlated to higher probabilities of failure.[2]

PCTechGuide's page on S.M.A.R.T. (2003)[3] comments that the technology has gone through three phases:

"In its original incarnation SMART provided failure prediction by monitoring certain online hard drive activities. A subsequent version improved failure prediction by adding an automatic off-line read scan to monitor additional operations. The latest "SMART" technology not only monitors hard drive activities but adds failure prevention by attempting to detect and repair sector errors. Also, while earlier versions of the technology only monitored hard drive activity for data that was retrieved by the operating system, this latest SMART tests all data and all sectors of a drive by using "off-line data collection" to confirm the drive's health during periods of inactivity."

OK so SMART is not Foolproof, but no use if you not using the 'early warnings' it can provide?

BUT if you RELY on essential DATA held on such HDD, then you should employ BACKUP of that essential DATA!

If you have all your Photos/Images (.jpg, .bmp..gif..psd etc), Documents (,pdf. doc, .xls. ppt etc), E-mail Messages (,pst etc), on a spare HDD, Flash Drive, or, multiple CD's or DVD's etc, then just buy a new HDD and RESTORE! your backups?

If you took the time to research.learn, and create a 'Slip Streamed O/S Install Disk', with the Base O/S, all Updates and Patches, as well as all the application installs, then this eases the task of rebuilding ones PC/ Laptop etc.

Bill H

Yup all good things for true, but running late for airport due to late ride, I rushed off leaving a critical set of components in a bag on the seatee, including my hard disk recovery disk, spare disks, memory sticks etc. Now woe is me, I pay the price for my negligance.

Green Valley was easy to find and the tech friendly and helpful. (Although I'd call it more next to Jolliebees than behind it, but that would be picky of me, but a serious thanks for the referral!!) The bad news was they can't even look at it until Friday and won't know how long the fix will be or what it will involve until then, so I'm stuck high and dry for the rest of the week, and maybe longer. Buggers I hate it when things like this happens, you know?

Regards and thanks again for the help.

Bill

TheMatrix

Yup all good things for true, but running late for airport due to late ride, I rushed off leaving a critical set of components in a bag on the seatee, including my hard disk recovery disk, spare disks, memory sticks etc. Now woe is me, I pay the price for my negligance.

Green Valley was easy to find and the tech friendly and helpful. (Although I'd call it more next to Jolliebees than behind it, but that would be picky of me, but a serious thanks for the referral!!) The bad news was they can't even look at it until Friday and won't know how long the fix will be or what it will involve until then, so I'm stuck high and dry for the rest of the week, and maybe longer. Buggers I hate it when things like this happens, you know?

Regards and thanks again for the help.

Bill

When you are good, you are busy. They're some of the best repairer's I've ever seen.

joepitts42

There is an authorized Toshiba office w/ repair on Gorordo.