Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

potatoes

udonthani

haven't bought any for a couple of months when I was paying 50 for a kilo.

couldn't get any of the vendors to offer less than 80 just now. Has the price gone up markedly recently or are they just taking the piss.

Stranded Shipscook

nope, the potatoe prices worldwide have risen a lot since they also turn them into fuel for our cars now...

udonthani

I'm not paying 80 so that's that I'll have to do without.

Headshot

nope, the potatoe prices worldwide have risen a lot since they also turn them into fuel for our cars now...

I seriously doubt anybody is turning the little Filipino potatos you get in the markets here into ethylene. And it certainly isn't an export product. Nobody else would want them. Since you seldom see imported potatos here, just how is this distillation movement affecting the local markets?

Ozepete

That's right Guenther, and many other basic food items are rapidly increasing in price as more land world-wide is used for ethanol instead of food production.

Crazy world, more concerned about fuel for big gas guzzlers than food at realistic prices for the multitudes.! (Let 'em starve cos I've got to fuel my big V8 banger) scratch_head.gif

Stranded Shipscook

I seriously doubt anybody is turning the little Filipino potatos you get in the markets here into ethylene. And it certainly isn't an export product. Nobody else would want them. Since you seldom see imported potatos here, just how is this distillation movement affecting the local markets?

Potatoes in the Philippines are allmost entirely imported, at least in Cebu

And even if they would be not, the distributors orientate their prices at world market prices.

Edited by Guenther

trthebees

About every two months we visit the city, buy a few things and do a supermarket shop.

We got to the check-out with our goodies. The cashier was getting through the stuff, then did a double take at one leak for 200 peso. They checked, and they were 700 per kg.

We put the leak back, but did stick with one lump of broccoli at 450 per kilo.

Because we live in the province and only ever buy here the local stuff, squash, carrot, some sort of spinach etc, we thought we'd stick with the broccoli as a luxury treat.

onefilipina

My bana buys potatoes at the market, large ones.....he gets a better price then I do. I went to market a month or so ago and was charged 70 per kilo. When I got home he asked me how much I paid? He laughed and told me he only pays 45 per kilo. I went with him the next time and sure enough he bought them for 45 per kilo and he's a foreigner! He teach me a lesson and it does make a difference. He tell me to never buy from vendors on the perimeter of market, always go inside, deep into market, prices will always be cheaper, always ask for hangyo (discount). When you find a vendor that has quality produce and will give a discount, always go back to that vendor. He say loyalty to that vendor will save you peso's. He tell them they have a choice to make.......they can make a few peso's from him every week or they can make a few more right now, but just for one time because he not be balik. I went to market a few weeks later, I go where he said but lady not there only her son. He tell me 70 peso's per kilo. I tell him my bana buys potatoes here almost every week......he look at me and say your bana foreigner? I say yes, he always buy from you, he say ok your price 45 per kilo.

I just talk to my bana and he say potatoes go up this past week to 70 per kilo but he only pay 55 now. He like his potatoes like I like my rice.......but rice going up now too.

Bob Ward

The entire vegetable market varies widely from month to month and sometimes weeks/days! The factors which affect these fluctuations are holidays, rain (too much or too little), and import variances. It's not uncommon for potatoes to fluctuate between P50 to P80+! It's just the nature of the beast!

billy

i just paid 115 pesos per kilo in ayala cebu i was shocked but needed them

Bob Ward

i just paid 115 pesos per kilo in ayala cebu i was shocked but needed them

You probably got the larger ones which are imported. They always rise in price, like everything else, during the holidays and then creep lower afterward. The prices for fruits (round ones of which 13 are needed for new years)are typically two to three times normal price! Sucks BIG time!!!!

Cebuned

How true that earlier statement was....

Like Margie, and even our son David, LOVE THEIR WHITE RICE. I'm a Meat and POTATO Man, alwas have been and always will I figure.

Short Story:

I remember about 8 years ago, I went to the market and purchased about 3 kilos of the nicest potatos I could find. I had in mind,Uncle Ned, was going to make all the children and grown ups in Sagay, a very speical treat, something I came to learn that they never had before. Mashed Potato's, smuthered in butter and salt and pepper...How on earth could anyone not love this dish?

Well, the kids lined up, and some very curious adults. Each and every one that tried my mashed potatos, you'd think I just put a spoon full of cow dung in their mouths. Every one of them, ran for the wood line and spit them out. My heart was broken, and not to mention, I was stuck with about 2 1/2 kilos of the white fluffy stuff still.

Margie, not being a wastfull person, saved them, and next day to my suprise, Margie made something new herself. Deep fried, Mashed Potato, Lumpia's.... :thats-funny:

They went so fast, I didn't get to try one myself.

lazydays

I'm not paying 80 so that's that I'll have to do without.

Looks like its keep eating rice then, :)

DeezNuz

One time I made mashed potatoes...then i asked the maid mix in a little butter before serving. She ended up putting Star Margarine in it...suffice it to say...i had to throw out the entire batch.

Bob Ward

Well, the kids lined up, and some very curious adults. Each and every one that tried my mashed potatos, you'd think I just put a spoon full of cow dung in their mouths. Every one of them, ran for the wood line and spit them out. My heart was broken, and not to mention, I was stuck with about 2 1/2 kilos of the white fluffy stuff still.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Same with a very nice dish of penne pasta and meat sauce!