Balikbayan Box inspections

RogerDuMond

Damn!

I see that seeds are on the list.

What am I going to do?

I grow my own Wheatgrass for daily juicing.

Do a search on google.com.ph

http://www.cebusale....topic.php?t=167

Roger, that link didn't work for me. Please check it. Thanks! =))

It works for me Steve. If it still doesn't work let me know and I will PM you the Name and phone numbers from the ad.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheMatrix

• Stranded Shipscook

• RogerDuMond

• grumpy

Stranded Shipscook

Just another way for us gov to collect more money peroid. They should worry about whats comming in not out.

My 0.02 centavos:

There are things that cannot be exported from the U.S. to any or some countries.

Use to work for a semiconductor company and every other year we have an Export Compliance Seminar to be updated with new regulations. There were things that we shipped that need special licenses, example is a cyanide plating solution.

There were times that we missed special approval on some items and had to make a disclosure to the Export Compliance Bureau rathed than being caught. There were companies that were heavily fined for being caught.

We were also a CTPAT tier 1 certified company (Customs and Trade Participation Against Terrorism).

BTW, Guenther, at one time we were using DHL and met a lot of your co-employees. One was an Swedish I.T. guy, can't remember his name.

I thought all my former co-employees are at FEDEX now or died of heart attacks... I resigned in 1985 ! By the way, since about 13 or 14 years DHL International is owned by the GERMAN POST... (sic!) :thats-funny:

Well the box scanners must have been sleeping when we shipped three boxes for Christmas. The family got their boxes on time, no delays,nothing confiscated.

There was extra of all things listed that are prohibited. Gifts for the kids............................Filipino money, music CD's, a laptop computer and a desktop pc. (licensed software) Clothes galore.

What do they think has gotten the country into the world of technology and most of our family members the ability to get on the internet???

PLDT and all of the other service providers for cellphones and Internet should be thankful.

5 yrs ago access to the internet was still by dial-up. The internet cafe was king. Now, JUL AUG 2010, I see those WIFI antennas all over the place. Even in the shanty town near the sewer water on the SRP to Cebu City.

What acts of terrorism over there was traced back to a Balikbayan box bringing the material into the country?? The Phils government needs to look right in their own back yard for their problems............................I know what their problem is..................The lowly poor Filipino is getting an unfair boost and might become a middle class citizen coz of the contents of these boxes, being given to them for free from their families.

Why don't they go after the movie pirates and software pirates in the Phils? My brother-in-law was so happy to tell us he had a copy of "The Last Airbender" pirate DVD while we paid big dollars to see it in the SM Mall in 3D.

All of the VATs and other collection schemes bring money in but where does it go after it gets into the hands of the thieves in the Government?

Fred

tom_shor

I'm puzzled by the opposition to the screening of shipments. When the topic of full body scanners and 'touching our junk' came up, most of the people on the forum leaped to the defense of DHS and said the new pat down procedures were justified in the name of making all of us safer.

But now that they're touching the BB boxes, suddenly that's stupid and going to far? I'd rather not have DHS perform either of these security routines, but of the tow, DHS grabbing my cock at LAX is far more objectionable than them searching my BB box.

I don't want them touching my cock or my box. Don't even want them standing nearby. Especially that shifty looking guy.

1. Its too easy

2. It makes sense

3. Some TSA agents would not have a job.

4. Its too easy

5. See 3/5

They think we are possibly shipping AK-47s to Bin Laden, And then he will use them in Iraq. The problem with that thinking is Bin Laden and his boys already have weapons up the ying yang and if they happen to run out of bullets, they just head over to Iran. its a lot closer.

if that was the case then why not just xray only?

Since 9/11 the security has be paramount in catching money laundering and possible terrorist aiding and abetting. This is why they are doing this. I am agent in Australia for money transfer and freight transfer and personal effects. We are fully registered with the AUST GOVT body AUSTRAC and they have counterparts in other countries and USA is homeland security who do all of this.....it has ruined the business and added more cost to the provider for the searches etc and record keeping and reporting EVERY TRANSACTION FOR MONEY TRANS and FREIGHT TRANSFER and so far AUSTRAC have caught terrorist money laundering via PAYPAL without that company knowing it was happening....Austrac have closed money senders and jailed the proprietors for knowingly not reporting the transfers that were suspicious....Unfortunately for not any other reason this aspect because of 9/11 is going to get even tougher from here on in and we all have to suffer whether we use the system of personal cargo transfer or money transfer

Thank you, Larry in Dumaguete, for pointing out that the long list of balikbayan restrictions was for materials being shipped into the U.S.A. and did not apply to the balikbayan boxes going out of the U.S.A. to the Philippines. This definitely eases my asawa's mind a great deal since she does like to ship some food that we can't get in the Philippines for when we visit there, and she also likes to send a lot of small gifts for many of our relatives and friends. It is good to hear that she will still be able to do that without having all of her balikbayan boxes ripped open and then repacked in a shoddy and careless way and then sent on the way with a lot of delay. :thumbsup::yourock::thumbs_up:

RogerDuMond

Thank you, Larry in Dumaguete, for pointing out that the long list of balikbayan restrictions was for materials being shipped into the U.S.A. and did not apply to the balikbayan boxes going out of the U.S.A. to the Philippines. This definitely eases my asawa's mind a great deal since she does like to ship some food that we can't get in the Philippines for when we visit there, and she also likes to send a lot of small gifts for many of our relatives and friends. It is good to hear that she will still be able to do that without having all of her balikbayan boxes ripped open and then repacked in a shoddy and careless way and then sent on the way with a lot of delay. :thumbsup::yourock::thumbs_up:

According to our BB shipper (UMAC), when they say every shipment, they do not mean every box.

They think we are possibly shipping AK-47s to Bin Laden, And then he will use them in Iraq. The problem with that thinking is Bin Laden and his boys already have weapons up the ying yang and if they happen to run out of bullets, they just head over to Iran. its a lot closer.

And no-one in the US cares about the weapons being moved daily to Mexico which has a huge negative impact in the US.

What acts of terrorism over there was traced back to a Balikbayan box bringing the material into the country?? The Phils government needs to look right in their own back yard for their problems............................I know what their problem is..................The lowly poor Filipino is getting an unfair boost and might become a middle class citizen coz of the contents of these boxes, being given to them for free from their families.

Why don't they go after the movie pirates and software pirates in the Phils? My brother-in-law was so happy to tell us he had a copy of "The Last Airbender" pirate DVD while we paid big dollars to see it in the SM Mall in 3D.

All of the VATs and other collection schemes bring money in but where does it go after it gets into the hands of the thieves in the Government?

Fred

If you read the OP, the boxes are being scanned by the Department of Homeland Security in the US. Nothing to do with the Philippine authorities, so aim your rant at your elected officials.

And no-one in the US cares about the weapons being moved daily to Mexico which has a huge negative impact in the US.

Selective fire rifles and hand grenades are not coming from the US into Mexico... go a little further south of the border.

Edited by grumpy
shadow

Thank you, Larry in Dumaguete, for pointing out that the long list of balikbayan restrictions was for materials being shipped into the U.S.A. and did not apply to the balikbayan boxes going out of the U.S.A. to the Philippines. This definitely eases my asawa's mind a great deal since she does like to ship some food that we can't get in the Philippines for when we visit there, and she also likes to send a lot of small gifts for many of our relatives and friends. It is good to hear that she will still be able to do that without having all of her balikbayan boxes ripped open and then repacked in a shoddy and careless way and then sent on the way with a lot of delay. :thumbsup::yourock::welcome2:

Here is a post I made on another group and one of it's responses, which may explain where a lot of the confusion came from regarding this;

Elmer, this is the discussed link;

http://www.manilaforwarder.com/restrictions.html

The first 7/8 of the list is for US government restrictions, and it lists items

individually. You can click on the item and it will list the specific

restrictions for that type of item. Some items cannot be imported OR exported

from the US, but most can be exported.

Further down is the list for Philippines restrictions.

I think the confusion is stemming from people reading where it says "US

Government, import and export" not understanding that not all items listed are

forbidden to be exported. You must click on the link and read the restrictions

for EACH item separately.

for instance, if you click on "dog and cat fur", you get;

"Dog and Cat Fur

It is illegal in the United States to import, export, distribute, transport,

manufacture or sell products containing dog or cat fur in the United States. As

of November 9, 2000, the Dog and Cat Protection Act of 2000 calls for the

seizure and forfeiture of each item containing dog or cat fur."

This means of course that you cannot IMPORT OR EXPORT dog and cat fur, as that

is exactly what it says.

However, if you click "food products prepared" you will get:

"Food Products (Prepared)

You may bring bakery items and certain cheeses into the United States. The APHIS

Web site features a Travelers Tips section and Game and Hunting Trophies section

that offers extensive information about bringing food and other products into

the U.S. Many prepared foods are admissible. However, bush meat made from

African wildlife and almost anything containing meat products, such as bouillon,

soup mixes, etc., is not admissible. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars,

oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee and tea are admissible. Because rice can

often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States.

Some imported foods are also subject to requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug

Administration."

Although there are some restrictions on importing some types of foods, it makes

no mention of exporting, meaning to me that most any prepared food that is legal

can be exported from the US.

Further down at the near bottom of the page, you will find a short list of items

that cannot be imported to the Philippines.

So if an item is in question, first click on the link on the US regs and see if

there are any EXPORT restrictions, if none, check to see if there are IMPORT

regs to the Philippines, if not,...

it can be sent from the US to the Philippines.

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry,

Ahhhh... I see, now. I was wonderin' what the heck you were talking about.

I have an Ad blocker on my browser... When I opened the restrictions.html page

it was not letting me see the same list and info that you were seeing. What I

was seeing said nothing about import or export.

Here is what I was seeing and maybe what Jeff was seeing...

http://www.manilaforwarder.com/RESTRICTIONS.gif

That is all that was appearing on the restrictions.html page.

I turned the Ad blocker off.. and then could see everything you were talking

about..

That simple list sure is a bit more restrictive than the actual list.

Elmer Zink

Hopefully this will help to clear the confusion.

Larry in Dumaguete

cebubird

Not that I would ever think that a government agency would use common sense, much less this one which is run by an incompetent woma, appointed by an incompetent president, but I can see 1 reason for inspectiong SOME balikbayan boxes.

If the box was addressed to an islamic name somewhere in one of the terrorist areas in the southern Philippines, and maybe sent from an islamic sounding name with possible ties to the terrorist movement worldwide.

Reason 2 for opening ALL the boxes sent here. This administration is openly anti military and one doesnt have to be a rocket scientist to know that the majority of retired americans living here are retired military. So it could be used as a way to harrass the vets here. Many in this administration and many in the democrat caucus have called for shutting down the SS and VA offices here in the Philippines.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Bill

Stranded Shipscook

Not that I would ever think that a government agency would use common sense, much less this one which is run by an incompetent woma, appointed by an incompetent president, but I can see 1 reason for inspectiong SOME balikbayan boxes.

If the box was addressed to an islamic name somewhere in one of the terrorist areas in the southern Philippines, and maybe sent from an islamic sounding name with possible ties to the terrorist movement worldwide.

Reason 2 for opening ALL the boxes sent here. This administration is openly anti military and one doesnt have to be a rocket scientist to know that the majority of retired americans living here are retired military. So it could be used as a way to harrass the vets here. Many in this administration and many in the democrat caucus have called for shutting down the SS and VA offices here in the Philippines.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Bill

good thought, however, terrorists are way smarter than that. They would use innocent names. Even copies of existing innocent people (as happened already).

About the administration thoughts of yours... scary stuff ! Hopefully the US DFA/State Dept. can stop this harrasment by filing proper protest notes.

no, Steve; Mister Rogers was not a Navy Seal, not in Vietnam, probably never killed anyone (.http://www.answers.com/topic/fred-rogers)...

are you on drugs?

or just gullible?

Huh? :D

oh, sorry...must be me on drugs and I hallucinated a response from you that Mr.Rogers was a childhood fave of yours and a further reference to his (bogus) Vietnam involvements...yet I can't find that post...conspiracy? paranoia? nah, probably just bad acid