Balikbayan Box inspections

The Mason

I'm puzzled by the opposition to the screening of shipments. When the topic of full body scanners and 'touching our junk' came up, most of the people on the forum leaped to the defense of DHS and said the new pat down procedures were justified in the name of making all of us safer.

But now that they're touching the BB boxes, suddenly that's stupid and going to far? I'd rather not have DHS perform either of these security routines, but of the tow, DHS grabbing my cock at LAX is far more objectionable than them searching my BB box.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheMatrix

• RogerDuMond

• Stranded Shipscook

• hey joe

TheMatrix

Department of Homeland Security has hired tens of thousands new employees under the Obama administration.

Government hiring is out of control and its their way of thwarting rising unemployment numbers.

Low unemployment because millions work for the government.

I think all this recent activity with Homeland Security is because they need something to do!!

They're actually making shit up now.

They are shutting down websites without due process such as Torrent-Finder and RapGodFathers.

Now, I wonder if shipping 25 Netbook computers which I usually fit into one box on each of my visits back to the U.S. will get caught up in this mess.

-

Edited by SteveMatrix
TheMatrix

Damn!

I see that seeds are on the list.

What am I going to do?

I grow my own Wheatgrass for daily juicing.

RogerDuMond

Now, I wonder if shipping 25 Netbook computers which I usually fit into one box on each of my visits back to the U.S. will get caught up in this mess.

Probably not unless you do something silly like announcing it on an open forum. :thats-funny:

If you take all of these things (food items with no exceptions which has to include canned foods and chocolate for treats for friends and relatives and dried milk which is expensive as hell in the Philippines, no liquids which would even include a few bottles of Pepto Bismol, old clothes to give to poor relatives and other poor people in the Philippines, used electronics such as stereos and radios to give to relatives and which most people don't bother to keep a receipt for after enough time has passed, and a myriad of other things on the list), just WHAT THE HELL IS LEFT TO SHIP IN A BALIKBAYAN BOX???!!!??? I don't think that most of the balikbayan shippers will be able to stay in business, and how soon will we begin reading about people who start being prosecuted for unintentionally shipping a prohibited item such as too many old clothes or a couple of bottles of Pepto Bismol or a couple of cans of American corned beef or a five year old radio without a receipt??? I understand security and accurately listing all contents when shipping, but what the hell is the rationale in prohibiting some of the items that I mentioned in this tirade of mine. Some of this list of prohibited items seems to me to be just flat out useless and counter-productive and totally unnecessary. O.K., that's the end of my venting on this subject (at least for now). :dance::wt-hell::thats-funny::biggrin_01::wt-hell::kidding:

no, Steve; Mister Rogers was not a Navy Seal, not in Vietnam, probably never killed anyone (.http://www.answers.com/topic/fred-rogers)...

are you on drugs?

baby.jpg

or just gullible?

Funny_Pictures_90012.jpg

TheMatrix

no, Steve; Mister Rogers was not a Navy Seal, not in Vietnam, probably never killed anyone (.http://www.answers.com/topic/fred-rogers)...

are you on drugs?

or just gullible?

Huh? :thumbs_up:

TheMatrix

Damn!

I see that seeds are on the list.

What am I going to do?

I grow my own Wheatgrass for daily juicing.

Do a search on google.com.ph

http://www.cebusale....topic.php?t=167

Roger, that link didn't work for me. Please check it. Thanks! =))

If you look at the list of prohibited Homeland Security items on the Manila Forwarders site, what percentage of the items that you normally ship do you figure that you will still be able to legally send now? What is the purpose of balikbayan boxes if you can not longer send any of the innocuous and in-no-way-terrorist-related items that most Filipinos normally included in those boxes in the past??

:as-if::biggrin_01::biggrin_01::coffee:

washingtonian88

Previously I sent my mom tons of "Ensure" drink.

Good thing it arrived there.

I guess I won't be able to do that now. :biggrin_01:

I think I can still send empty zip locks... and plastic tupperwares?

Alright, I am just trying to figure out what "can be" considered "allowed".

I guess, I'd have to lay-low on sending stuff on balikbayan boxes for now.

I am also notorious in sending old electronics to relatives who like to tinker with it.

The problem is also, I do send balikbayan boxes with nothing but "allowed" items, I usually jam packed the whole thing, would they be able to neatly put them back together without destroying any of the items? I take so much time in safely packaging them, labeling each item with names of relatives and other instructions.

questsea73

I don't see a date on the posting but assume it is current and pertains to the impossible job DHS has of checking the mass of incoming air and ocean cargo's into USA, primarily for security reasons.. Outgoing shipments of a personal nature should receive little attention comparitively although it may not work out that way.

DHS has not been noted for having an over abundance of intelligence or common sense. This agency was created in a time or hysteria and hired a mass of people of little competance in a hurry based on internal security needs, with little training, written guidance, etc and I suspect judgment is not one of the lead characteristics of management personnel there even after years at the agency.

The list of restricted items appear to be a mishmash of stuff of concern to the USA Justice Department and P.I. Customs.

The requirementsof shipping no food whatsoever and no clothing considered in the judgment of the inspector to be of a commercial quantity are both unrealistic and inhumane. Both should be overturnable if the correct amount of pressure were applied to the right places. They may however be requirements by PI which doesn't want, on paper, to seem to be a beggar nation unable to feed or cloth their citizens without help from leftovers being imported from foreigners..

One of the worst things about this is the inspectors will not properly repack items in box; they will just cram them back in any which way, thereby increasing chances of breakage, etc--very much the way USPS inspectors do here when a box breaks open and they need to repack it. Ken

There are some restrictions on what you can bring in, and what you can bring in duty free to different countries.

It's not a list of prohibited items. It's a list of items that may have some restrictions or be prohibited.

shadow

If you look at the list of prohibited Homeland Security items on the Manila Forwarders site, what percentage of the items that you normally ship do you figure that you will still be able to legally send now? What is the purpose of balikbayan boxes if you can not longer send any of the innocuous and in-no-way-terrorist-related items that most Filipinos normally included in those boxes in the past??

:oldtimer::scratch_head::scratch_head::taz:

You are reading the list backwards. Read it again, the first (long) list is for stuff being shipped INTO the US. At the bottom of the page is a short list for stuff being shipped into the Philippines. It includes;

PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED ITEMS

(12/17/2010)

Philippine Goverment

Source: Philippine Bureau of Customs Website

Prohibited importations are generally those not allowed to be brought into the

country except when given permission under high controlled conditions as

provided for in the laws prohibiting them. Some of these prohibited items are

the following:

Dynamite gunpowder, ammunitions and other explosives, firearms and weapons of

war, and parts thereof;

Written or printed articles in any form containing any matter advocating or

inciting treason, or rebellion, insurrection, sedition or subversion against the

government of the Philippines, or containing any threat to take the life of, or

inflict bodily harm upon any person in the Philippines.

Written or printed articles, negatives or cinematographic film, photographs,

engravings, lithographs, objects, paintings, drawing or other representations of

an obscene or immoral character.

Articles, instruments, drugs and substances designed, intended or adapted for

producing unlawful abortion, or any printed matter which advertises or describes

or gives directly or indirectly information where, how and by whom unlawful

abortion is produced.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow