Question ... CFO Seminar

SkyMan

My wife's passport is in our safety deposit box so I can't verify but she says she doesn't have a stamp in her passport for the CFO. She does have some certificate she keeps with it to show. A stamp would be better. Maybe when she has to renew she can get the stamp but not if that means taking it again.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• Turbota

• Headshot

• SkyMan

My wife's passport is in our safety deposit box so I can't verify but she says she doesn't have a stamp in her passport for the CFO. She does have some certificate she keeps with it to show. A stamp would be better. Maybe when she has to renew she can get the stamp but not if that means taking it again.

She just needs the CFO stamp in her passport so Philippines Immigration will let her on the plane in order to immigrate to another country.

She now has the CFO certificate of completion, but she will never get the CFO stamp until she goes back to the CFO people and shows them her CFO certificate of completion AND her passport with an Immigrant stamp to your home county in it.

(the CFO stamp is just used in order to let her leave the Philippines as a new immigrant to another county ... yours) If she is not leaving for good, there is no reason for a CFO stamp

Edited by Turbota
shadow

If she ever decides to leave the RP on an immigrant visa, she will need to take her passport with the visa in it to CFO along with her cert of completion to get the stamp. No stamp, no exit.

Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

She just needs the CFO stamp in her passport so Philippines Immigration will let her on the plane in order to immigrate to another country.

She now has the CFO certificate of completion, but she will never get the CFO stamp until she goes back to the CFO people and shows them her CFO certificate of completion AND her passport with an Immigrant stamp to your home county in it.

(the CFO stamp is just used in order to let her leave the Philippines as a new immigrant to another county ... yours) If she is not leaving for good, there is no reason for a CFO stamp.

That is close, but I don't think it's quite right. Your wife will actually get the CFO sticker at the DFA Office...NOT the CFO. It's the same place she had to go to get her certificate after she took the seminar (a booth on the right side just inside the entrance of the DFA). All she has to have is her passport with an immigrant visa to another country and her certificate of attendance from the CFO. She doesn't have to deal with the nuns again. The nuns run the seminar, but the DFA employees control the certificates and stickers.

Edited by Headshot
onefilipina

Ok boys, I just did this 2 weeks ago in Cebu. If a filipina is married to a foreigner and wants her passport in married name she must attend a CFO Seminar prior to applying for her passport. Its an all day affair including one on one interview with the instructor, (nuns). You are asked questions about your husband, like what work he do, ex-wife name, who's fault or reason for divorce. This seminar is also required for a filipina to migrate to husbands country. Upon completion of seminar you will issued a Guidance & Counseling Certificate of Attendance. You then take that to the CFO office near the DFA office in Cebu and present it. They will then issue you a Guidance and Counseling Certificate. This Certificate is shown and copied when applying for passport. If and when you apply for a Visa to the USA and are approved you will then return to the CFO office near the DFA in Cebu with Visa and Guidance and Counseling Certificate, at that time they will affix your stamp of compliance in your passport. Without this stamp you will be denied boarding of plane at airport for you immigration to the states. Cost 250 peso's for Seminar and 400 peso's at CFO office for Certificate.

I suggest you take, Original NSO Marriage Certificate, Original NSO Birth Certificate, 2 forms of Picture ID, Pictures of Wedding, Divorce papers if husbands divorced, Photocopy of husbands passport to include visa status page if he here now, husbands mothers maiden name and first name, husbands address and email address and phone numbers in states, husbands birthday and place of birth, Make photocopies of all documents and pic if you do not want them to keep originals. Info about maiden name and addresses are for completion of application form. If you know and have all this then you should should have no problems. Also, we have been married 19 months and lived here but I still had to attend this seminar to apply for a passport in married name. Good Luck.

Also, we have been married 19 months and lived here but I still had to attend this seminar to apply for a passport in married name. Good Luck.

Good info.

Well, had you called the the main DFA office in Manila, they would have told you that you could go up there and get your new passport (with your foreign husbands last name on it) without going to the CFO seminar.

Oh well

JamesMusslewhite

Actually, you won't know for sure that they ARE nuns until they sign the certificate. The letters of their religious order are next to their signature on the certificate.

Yeah, I can't remember if the nun that signed my wife's was "SS" or "Gestapo."

nun-tsk-tsk.gif

Depends on whether she was waring black or gray... :D

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Headshot

Actually, you won't know for sure that they ARE nuns until they sign the certificate. The letters of their religious order are next to their signature on the certificate.

Yeah, I can't remember if the nun that signed my wife's was "SS" or "Gestapo."

nun-tsk-tsk.gif

Depends on whether she was waring black or gray... :D

The nuns at CFO don't have any bad habits...black or gray. They are plain-clothes nuns.

Maybe I'm confused but my wife had to get her CFO to get her passport. The passport was required for the visa. If you're wife already has the passport/visa, I think you're done. Get her an airplane ticket.

Now I'm confused.

If the CFO relates to an immigrant visa, how do the passport people know this if you haven't yet got a passport to put it in.

Normally the CFO is the last thing you do before she leaves the country. It was with my EX-GF. Had all the paperwork done only thing was the CFO. Like I said, she went three times and the nuns kept coming up with more bullshit paperwork for her to produce. Of course it was stuff I had to get from here and mail over. 50 dollars a shot. Finally I think they ran out of crap to ask for and she passed. I dont have anything really nice to say about the nuns or the CFO class in Cebu, so I will stop now.

Normally the CFO is one of the first things to get done, as it is a requirement for a spouse or fiance of a foreign national in order to apply for a passport.

The CFO can be done at any time, however, so long as it is done and their sticker is in the passport before the visa recipient tries to leave the country.

Larry in Dumaguete

Not in my case, she had all the paper work done for a K1 Visa except the CFO class. It was the very last thing she did before she left to come here..

• 3 weeks later...

Ok boys, I just did this 2 weeks ago in Cebu. If a filipina is married to a foreigner and wants her passport in married name she must attend a CFO Seminar prior to applying for her passport. Its an all day affair including one on one interview with the instructor, (nuns). You are asked questions about your husband, like what work he do, ex-wife name, who's fault or reason for divorce. This seminar is also required for a filipina to migrate to husbands country. Upon completion of seminar you will issued a Guidance & Counseling Certificate of Attendance. You then take that to the CFO office near the DFA office in Cebu and present it. They will then issue you a Guidance and Counseling Certificate. This Certificate is shown and copied when applying for passport. If and when you apply for a Visa to the USA and are approved you will then return to the CFO office near the DFA in Cebu with Visa and Guidance and Counseling Certificate, at that time they will affix your stamp of compliance in your passport. Without this stamp you will be denied boarding of plane at airport for you immigration to the states. Cost 250 peso's for Seminar and 400 peso's at CFO office for Certificate.

I suggest you take, Original NSO Marriage Certificate, Original NSO Birth Certificate, 2 forms of Picture ID, Pictures of Wedding, Divorce papers if husbands divorced, Photocopy of husbands passport to include visa status page if he here now, husbands mothers maiden name and first name, husbands address and email address and phone numbers in states, husbands birthday and place of birth, Make photocopies of all documents and pic if you do not want them to keep originals. Info about maiden name and addresses are for completion of application form. If you know and have all this then you should should have no problems. Also, we have been married 19 months and lived here but I still had to attend this seminar to apply for a passport in married name. Good Luck.

Hi, thank you for the post very helpful and informative. Just want to ask if I can find or the address of the Place for the Seminar in Cebu? I am from Davao. Is it somewhere near the CFO Office? Thank you..I am hoping for your favorable reply...

SkyMan

(the CFO stamp is just used in order to let her leave the Philippines as a new immigrant to another county ... yours) If she is not leaving for good, there is no reason for a CFO stamp.

That is close, but I don't think it's quite right. Your wife will actually get the CFO sticker at the DFA Office...NOT the CFO. It's the same place she had to go to get her certificate after she took the seminar (a booth on the right side just inside the entrance of the DFA). All she has to have is her passport with an immigrant visa to another country and her certificate of attendance from the CFO. She doesn't have to deal with the nuns again. The nuns run the seminar, but the DFA employees control the certificates and stickers.

She already went with me to the US with the certificate. You're saying as long as she has only has a tourist visa she can't get the stamp and has to keep carrying around the certificate?

shadow

She already went with me to the US with the certificate. You're saying as long as she has only has a tourist visa she can't get the stamp and has to keep carrying around the certificate?

As long as all she has is a tourist visa she will never need the certificate OR the stamp!

Larry in Dumaguete

onefilipina

Hi, thank you for the post very helpful and informative. Just want to ask if I can find or the address of the Place for the Seminar in Cebu? I am from Davao. Is it somewhere near the CFO Office? Thank you..I am hoping for your favorable reply...

I'm from Davao as well. The address is the Aya Ay Arcade building on Mango Ave. 3rd Floor, Cebu City

Good Luck

kate_barnett

FYI ..... We have been talking about the CFO seminars as they pertain to leaving the PI on an immigrant visa, but there is another situation that I would like to mention:

Prior to us getting married, my wife aleady had a Philippines passport in her maiden name.

After we were married, we decided to have her passport changed to show my last name as her last name on her passport. Hey, we were now married ... why not

Well, she went to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) regional office in Iloilo. They said that no matter how long we had been married, my wife would need to attend the CFO seminar before they would issue her a new passport with my last mame on it (even though she said she had no intentions of leaving the country on an immigrant visa). They said since I was a foreigner, she needed the CFO before they would give her a new passport.

Then she called the Foreign Affairs (DFA) main office in Manila ... They said there requirement was that as long as she was married to a foreigner for at least 1 year, they would re-issue her a new passport without the CFO requirement. That saved us a lot of trouble.

So, if your in this situation ... talk to the main DFA office in Manila if your in the same situation as we were in. The Cebu DFA probably has the same requirement as the Iloilo DFA.

So, check with the main Manila DFA when everyone else tells you your wife needs the CFO class just because she wants her new married last name on it.

Ron,

Bacolod City

hi im going to have my passport change to my husbands last name my husband is an american so ur saying i can get my passport renewed without cfo seminar since im married to my husband for a year a half?? what if i plan on going to states, do i still need to do that seminar thing?

thanks for ur post!