• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• Turbota

• Headshot

• SkyMan

+1 to all of Larry (Shadow's) replies.

The CFO sticker is required by Philippines immigration at departure and has nothing to do with the US. I personally know of a couple of Filipinas who somehow didn't know about the CFO requirement and were denied boarding at immigration, missed a scheduled flight to the US and had to rebook their ticket. (And anyone who's gone through the rebooking hassles knows this is something you don't want to deal with for an int'l ticket).

My wife took the seminar in Cebu with 3 of her friends. All were "required" to return with various documents, some of which were a real hassle. All had to write essay's about their relationship. Most of this stuff had nothing to do with the purpose or remit of the CFO. The nuns are permitted to basically require anything they feel like making up on the spot.

In Manila there is an organization called PRISM that is known for lower hassle CFO seminars. If it's easy for your wife or fiancee to do the seminar at PRISM, this is highly recommended.

trthebees

Maybe I'm confused but my wife had to get her CFO to get her passport. The passport was required for the visa. If you're wife already has the passport/visa, I think you're done. Get her an airplane ticket.

Now I'm confused.

If the CFO relates to an immigrant visa, how do the passport people know this if you haven't yet got a passport to put it in.

trthebees

And my second question is.......

Back in 1999 my wife went with me on an immigration visa to the UK. Basically, we came back in about 2005.

We have visited Oz a couple of times since.

Although it's unlikely, but if we did decide to live in the UK, would she need to attend the CFO?

mikejwoodnz

My, now wife, did NOT attend a CFO of any type. I was with her when she lodged her application for a Visa at New Zealand Embassy. She already had the passport, unused and obtained to come to New Zealand, no endorsements or conditions. I came back to NZ and she followed when her Visa was granted. I just sent the Air tickets (maybe they were delivered, can't remember). Never heard any mention of a CFO - the only real bullshit was the medical (lost ha ha - do again) and the NZ Embassy Philippine staff shifting the goal posts - just smile and comply - soon there are no more requestable documents. The Visa requested was a Visitors Visa - there is no Fianc

SkyMan

Maybe I'm confused but my wife had to get her CFO to get her passport. The passport was required for the visa. If you're wife already has the passport/visa, I think you're done. Get her an airplane ticket.

Now I'm confused.

If the CFO relates to an immigrant visa, how do the passport people know this if you haven't yet got a passport to put it in.

Well, now thinking abou t it, my wife had to go to the CFO to get her passport because we were already married. Had nothing to do with any visa, just that she was married to a foreigner at the time applying for her passport. We specifically waited until we were married because I didn't want togo through the passport process a second time to get the name changed.

shadow

Now I'm confused.

On the passport application they ask if you are the fiance or spouse of a foreign national. If your wife were to try to leave the country using an immigrant visa, she would most likely be not allowed to board without the CFO sticker.

Larry in Dumaguete

My, now wife, did NOT attend a CFO of any type. I was with her when she lodged her application for a Visa at New Zealand Embassy. She already had the passport, unused and obtained to come to New Zealand, no endorsements or conditions. I came back to NZ and she followed when her Visa was granted. I just sent the Air tickets (maybe they were delivered, can't remember). Never heard any mention of a CFO - the only real bullshit was the medical (lost ha ha - do again) and the NZ Embassy Philippine staff shifting the goal posts - just smile and comply - soon there are no more requestable documents. The Visa requested was a Visitors Visa - there is no Fianc

FYI ..... We have been talking about the CFO seminars as they pertain to leaving the PI on an immigrant visa, but there is another situation that I would like to mention:

Prior to us getting married, my wife aleady had a Philippines passport in her maiden name.

After we were married, we decided to have her passport changed to show my last name as her last name on her passport. Hey, we were now married ... why not

Well, she went to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) regional office in Iloilo. They said that no matter how long we had been married, my wife would need to attend the CFO seminar before they would issue her a new passport with my last mame on it (even though she said she had no intentions of leaving the country on an immigrant visa). They said since I was a foreigner, she needed the CFO before they would give her a new passport.

Then she called the Foreign Affairs (DFA) main office in Manila ... They said there requirement was that as long as she was married to a foreigner for at least 1 year, they would re-issue her a new passport without the CFO requirement. That saved us a lot of trouble.

So, if your in this situation ... talk to the main DFA office in Manila if your in the same situation as we were in. The Cebu DFA probably has the same requirement as the Iloilo DFA.

So, check with the main Manila DFA when everyone else tells you your wife needs the CFO class just because she wants her new married last name on it.

Ron,

Bacolod City

Edited by Turbota
shadow

FYI ..... We have been talking about the CFO seminars as they pertain to leaving the PI on an immigrant visa, but there is another situation that I would like to mention:

Prior to us getting married, my wife aleady had a Philippines passport in her maiden name.

After we were married, we decided to have her passport changed to show my last name as her last name on her passport. Hey, we were now married ... why not

Well, she went to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) regional office in Iloilo. They said that no matter how long we had been married, my wife would need to attend the CFO seminar before they would issue her a new passport with my last mame on it (even though she said she had no intentions of leaving the country on an immigrant visa). They said since I was a foreigner, she needed the CFO before they would give her a new passport.

Then she called the Foreign Affairs (DFA) main office in Manila ... They said there requirement was that as long as she was married to a foreigner for at least 1 year, they would re-issue her a new passport without the CFO requirement. That saved us a lot of trouble.

So, if your in this situation ... talk to the main DFA office in Manila if your in the same situation as we were in. The Cebu DFA probably has the same requirement as the Iloilo DFA.

So, check with the main Manila DFA when everyone else tells you your wife needs the CFO class just because she wants her new married last name on it.

Ron,

Bacolod City

True enough and a good point. This just shows open more instance where if you don't like the answer you get from someone in an office, ask someone else! Most of the people working in offices in the Philippines do not know their own office rules and procedures.

Larry in Dumaguete

Now I'm confused.

Normally the CFO is the last thing you do before she leaves the country. It was with my EX-GF. Had all the paperwork done only thing was the CFO. Like I said, she went three times and the nuns kept coming up with more bullshit paperwork for her to produce. Of course it was stuff I had to get from here and mail over. 50 dollars a shot. Finally I think they ran out of crap to ask for and she passed. I dont have anything really nice to say about the nuns or the CFO class in Cebu, so I will stop now.

shadow

Now I'm confused.

Normally the CFO is the last thing you do before she leaves the country. It was with my EX-GF. Had all the paperwork done only thing was the CFO. Like I said, she went three times and the nuns kept coming up with more bullshit paperwork for her to produce. Of course it was stuff I had to get from here and mail over. 50 dollars a shot. Finally I think they ran out of crap to ask for and she passed. I dont have anything really nice to say about the nuns or the CFO class in Cebu, so I will stop now.

Normally the CFO is one of the first things to get done, as it is a requirement for a spouse or fiance of a foreign national in order to apply for a passport.

The CFO can be done at any time, however, so long as it is done and their sticker is in the passport before the visa recipient tries to leave the country.

Larry in Dumaguete

Normally the CFO is one of the first things to get done, as it is a requirement for a spouse or fiance of a foreign national in order to apply for a passport.

The CFO can be done at any time, however, so long as it is done and their sticker is in the passport before the visa recipient tries to leave the country.

Larry in Dumaguete

My wife never attended a CFO seminar when she got her Philippines passport.

Maybe I don't really understand your post here ... but the way I understand the system:

Your wife can attend the CFO seminar anytime she wants [bUT] she must have her actual Immigrant Visa stamped in her passport before they will issue the actual CFO completion sticker and attach it to her passport ... So, unless you want to make 2 trips to the CFO seminar, it's best to already have that imigration visa in her passport [before] attending the CFO seminar ... so, it seems to me that the CFO seminar would be the last thing she needs to do prior to getting on the plane.

shadow

Larry in Dumaguete

My wife never attended a CFO seminar when she got her Philippines passport.

Maybe I don't really understand your post here ... but the way I understand the system:

Your wife can attend the CFO seminar anytime she wants [bUT] she must have her actual Immigrant Visa stamped in her passport before they will issue the actual CFO completion sticker and attach it to her passport ... So, unless you want to make 2 trips to the CFO seminar, it's best to already have that imigration visa in her passport [before] attending the CFO seminar ... so, it seems to me that the CFO seminar would be the last thing she needs to do prior to getting on the plane.

Yes, you do understand it. However, most must take the CFO seminar before they can get a passport, then they must return to CFO with their certificate of completion after they get their visa to get the stamp.

:welcome2:

Larry in Dumaguete

My wife got her second passport (with the married name) without the CFO seminar at the DFA in Cebu (we where just married for 3 months then). So looks like it is possible, but don't ask me how and why.

Well in the meantime she's done the seminar and will come to Switzerland soon. The seminar in Cebu was strict but doable, still easier (and cheaper) than traveling to Manila for her.