Question ... CFO Seminar

For any of you that have had there wife attend the CFO class either in Manila or Cebu, maybe you can look at the list below and tell me if these items that need to be brought to the CFO seminar are accurate for a wife immigrating with you to the US:

1. Completed registration form http://www.cfo.gov.p...trationform.pdf

2. Philippines passport with stamped U.S. immigrant visa

3. Photocopy of the U.S. immigrant visa

4. One 2” x 2” glossy passport photo with white background

5. One additional valid photo ID (besides the wife's passport)

6. Original and photocopy of 'Immigrant Data Summary' (I heard that the wife will get this when she gets her U.S. immigrant visa)

7. P 400 registration fee

Thank's,

Ron

Edited by Turbota
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• Turbota

• Headshot

• SkyMan

shadow

The Cebu CFO changes their requirements on a minutely basis, what they don't require from the person right in front of her they may require from her. Usually they are much harder on the younger girls. The only thing I can see missing that they are very likely to ask for is any divorce decrees, copy of your tax return, and a recent NBI clearance.

Everyone's experience in dealing with the nuns is different.

Larry in Dumaguete

The Mason

As Shadow said, the requirements vary based on the whim of the moment and the attitude of the applicant and the CFO person. Take every document you can think of. If you needed it for your marriage or US visa application, take it to CFO as well. Specifically, I'd add NSO birth cert and marriage license to what Shadow suggested.

My wife attended the CFO seminar well before our visa interview. She showed them our application and initial interview date notification. They let her attend even though we had not yet been approved for her visa. After her visa was issued, she went back with her visa and paperwork from prior CFO visit and they put the sticker in her passport.

Headshot

The Cebu CFO changes their requirements on a minutely basis, what they don't require from the person right in front of her they may require from her. Usually they are much harder on the younger girls. The only thing I can see missing that they are very likely to ask for is any divorce decrees, copy of your tax return, and a recent NBI clearance.

Everyone's experience in dealing with the nuns is different.

Larry in Dumaguete

If you haven't decided whether to go to Cebu or Manila, choose Manila. They seem to be much more straight forward at the CFO there. By the way...YOU won't be taking anything there...because YOU won't be allowed to attend. Only Filipinas are allowed. Make sure your wife has every possible document you can think of when she goes for the seminar.

Edited by Headshot

Go to Manila, the Nuns in Cebu, basically gave my Ex an interrogation instead of counseling. She went 3 times and each time they kept asking for more documents she didn't have. I spent an extra 100 dollars getting the documents they want. Finally they ran out of documents to ask for.. She passed but it was not a pleasant or easy experience for her.

TheMatrix

What is CFO?

What is this CFO seminar? Can anyone explain?

TheMatrix

You mean that my Filipino wife has to take this class before she can move to the U.S. with me?

Seems strange!

The U.S. gonna deny her a green card if she hasn't attended this class?

SkyMan

Maybe I'm confused but my wife had to get her CFO to get her passport. The passport was required for the visa. If you're wife already has the passport/visa, I think you're done. Get her an airplane ticket.

TheMatrix

Maybe I'm confused but my wife had to get her CFO to get her passport. The passport was required for the visa. If you're wife already has the passport/visa, I think you're done. Get her an airplane ticket.

Yes, it was a breeze to get her passport. No class needed.

Further reading on the website shows that CFO will place a sticker in their passport and this sticker is required before immigration will allow her out the country on an immigrant visa.

I also read that she will need this sticker to renew her passport. Since her passport is valid only five years, we'll be looking for a renewal soon.

I guess she has to take this class.

Headshot

You're confused. :rolleyes:

Philippine Immigration, which everybody has to go through on their way to the boarding gates, will NOT let a Filipina pass if 1) she has an immigrant visa to another country (spousal, fiancee or work visa) and 2) if she doesn't have the stamp in her passport that shows she has attended the CFO seminar. It just won't happen. Many Filipinas have been turned back at this point, and there is NOTHING you can do.

This rule was set up a couple of presidents ago by the Philippine government to "protect" Filipinas from those nasty foreigners. It was created by Presidential decree, and was sponsored by the Catholic Church. This rule is ONLY applicable to Filipinas (women). Filipinos (men) don't have to go through this seminar. As a matter of fact, no men are allowed to sit in on the seminar. The seminar is run by an order of Catholic nuns, who work for free, so this seminar costs the Philippine government absolutely NOTHING. As a result, this is a chance for the nuns (who work in plain clothes BTW) to quite often scare the bejeebers out of unsuspecting Filipinas (it isn't usually too traumatic...but rather just a hassle). Actually, you won't know for sure that they ARE nuns until they sign the certificate. The letters of their religious order are next to their signature on the certificate.

When a Filipina has to take this seminar depends on her circumstances. If she is already married to a foreigner before she gets her passport, she has to take the seminar to receive her passport. If she is still single, then she can get the passport, but she will be required to attend the seminar before she is allowed to board a plane with a immigrant visa in her passport. Since she has to have the immigrant visa in her passport before she arrives in the foreign country as an immigrant, she obviously has to have it when she passes through immigration. One way or another, she will attend the seminar or she will not be allowed to board the plane.

Edited by Headshot
Headshot

Yes, it was a breeze to get her passport. No class needed.

Further reading on the website shows that CFO will place a sticker in their passport and this sticker is required before immigration will allow her out the country on an immigrant visa.

I also read that she will need this sticker to renew her passport. Since her passport is valid only five years, we'll be looking for a renewal soon.

I guess she has to take this class.

You're absolutely correct.

shadow

You're confused. :as-if:

Philippine Immigration, which everybody has to go through on their way to the boarding gates, will NOT let a Filipina pass if 1) she has an immigrant visa to another country (spousal, fiancee or work visa) and 2) if she doesn't have the stamp in her passport that shows she has attended the CFO seminar. It just won't happen. Many Filipinas have been turned back at this point, and there is NOTHING you can do at that point.

This rule was set up a couple of presidents ago by the Philippine government to "protect" Filipinas from those nasty foreigners. It was created by Presidential decree, and was sponsored by the Catholic Church. This rule is ONLY applicable to Filipinas (women). Filipinos (men) don't have to go through this seminar. As a matter of fact, no men are allowed to sit in on the seminar. The seminar is run by an order of Catholic nuns, who work for free, so this seminar costs the Philippine government absolutely NOTHING. As a result, this is a chance for the nuns (who work in plain clothes BTW) to quite often scare the bejeebers out of unsuspecting Filipinas (it isn't usually too traumatic...but rather just a hassle). Actually, you won't know for sure that they ARE nuns until they sign the certificate. The letters of their religious order are next to their signature on the certificate.

When a Filipina has to take this seminar depends on her circumstances. If she is already married to a foreigner before she gets her passport, she has to take the seminar to receive her passport. If she is still single, then she can get the passport, but she will be required to attend the seminar before she is allowed to board a plane with a immigrant visa in her passport. Since she has to have the immigrant visa in her passport before she arrives in the foreign country as an immigrant, she obviously has to have it when she passes through immigration. One way or another, she will attend the seminar or she will not be allowed to board the plane.

You're absolutely correct.

;)

The CFO is a Philippine requirement, not a US requirement. Fiances and spouses of foreign nationals are required to take the CFO before a passport will be issued. This is often "overlooked". However, without the CFO sticker in her passport, she will not be allowed to depart the country on any type of immigration visa.

Larry in Dumaguete

shadow

The US doesn't care (nor any other country that I am aware of) whether she has taken the CFO or not. It is not a requirement to get a visa.

It is a PHILIPPINE requirement to leave the country on an immigrant visa.

Larry in Dumaguete

SkyMan

Actually, you won't know for sure that they ARE nuns until they sign the certificate. The letters of their religious order are next to their signature on the certificate.

Yeah, I can't remember if the nun that signed my wife's was "SS" or "Gestapo."