Sign in to follow this  
RickyL

Trip report--Cebu city to Boracay

musicman666

Ricky, surface ocean currents are quite common here and are quite often stronger than a swimmer can negotiate. You sound like a guy who likes to do things without help, but there are times when you should use the services available (even if they seem a little pricey). First, you are lucky you didn't get swept away to sea...and second, you are lucky a shark didn't find you after you cut your feet up on the sharp rocks. Also, regardless of how cool a night swim seems, you should realize that sharks do most of their hunting near the beaches at night when they can approach without being seen. So...you really shouldn't swim in the ocean alone, you should never swim at night (didn't you see "Jaws"), and you should get yourself a pair of booties and fins (the booties will protect your feet even after you take off your fins).

BTW...GREAT trip report! If you have contact information for the resorts, it would be helpful to those who may want to make the same trip. Thanks.

yeah that was a scary story... can relate to that having been caught in rip currents myself .. so frustarting to be swimming your hardest and nearly at the shore but you just cant make that last bit... and you are getting tired!!!!

RickyL

Thanks for all the advice and concern, I'll try to be more responsible in the future.

RickyL

DAY 9

The day started of with some very heavy rain in the morning. When the rain stopped we went to Diniwid beach to the north of white beach. Only 2 or 3 resorts here, not too busy and very nice. There are some houses built on the cliffs, what a cool place to live. Diniwid is a small beach separated by some rocks on shore. We walked south to a concrete walkway that rounded the point and connected to white beach. There is a statue of the virgin Mary located inside an overhang in the cliff. Nice view of white beach from the walkway.

We went back to the room, got our swimsuits on and walked to the south end of white beach where the coral garden is. Its obvious where to snorkel, lots of boats anchored offshore with over a hundred Koreans on them. I swim out and look at a nice school of fish feeding around the brain corals. I swim out to the boats and around them, most of the coral is dead but people are snorkelling there. The boats can't come any closer to shore and obviously the sailors didn't tell their clients where the good corals are. They are not that good, just a lot better than where the boats go. I go back to shore and tell Yanni I am going to swim along shore to the point. Not much to see, most of the coral is dying. I would rate snorkelling on Boracay a 4 and 20 meters from shore in Moalboal an 8. Certain areas of Palawan would be a 10.

Went for a late lunch at D'mall then back to the room for a 2 hour nap. Walked the path and got a few pics. Really dark over Caticlan but the rain didn't make it to Boracay. Later we have some spaghetti and potato skins at yellow cab pizza, then TV and internet and sleep.

Today (Tuesday) we will check out and make our way back to Iloilo. I am going to put the bike on Milagrosa ferry to Puerto Princesa, Palawan for Thursday. We fly Cebu-Pacific to PP on Friday and get the bike sometime Saturday. I will try and make another trip report, Boracay to Palawan.

musicman666

Boracay to Palawan!! cool.

RickyL

DAY 10

Checked out of Queen's beach resort, went to the cargo area and crossed over to Caticlan. Very windy today, BIG waves 1/3 of the way across. Yanni is scared of rough water and her back was to the waves, I almost said "Wow look at the size of those waves!" but I held my tongue so she didn't get that deer in your headlights look in her eyes. The boat rode through the waves easy enough. Landing on shore was funny, those guys were smashing the outriggers off of the other boats, 3 guys trying to move boats out of the way, what a mess, the parking spot was way too small for another boat. pretty entertaining stuff.

My plan was to take the north coast of Panay to Estancia so we could visit the Gigante islands and maybe Sicogon island. It was too windy and looked like rain soon so we took the highway south of Roxas almost down the middle of Panay instead. It was a good choice I thought when the rain started. Why is it raining so much?, January and February of 2009 and 2010 were beautiful and hardly any rain.

20 minutes from Passi, we got a flat tire in the back :), I checked under the seat and I only had a tube for the front tire. Its .25 of an inch smaller than the back. Yanni got the location of a vulcanizing shop about 2k away so I start pushing. Lots of people come out to the road to watch the foreigner pushing his motor. We get closer to the shop and people are pointing to it and smiling. Some women come down from the house and one of them is from Texas! She is home in the PI for the first time in 24 years. We are all chatting away while the guy fixed my flat, didn't take too long. I had it repaired before and that's why it went flat, the repair was too thick and it was rubbing on the tire. Then he found another leak, probably damage from when it went flat. I will get a new tube tomorrow. We get to Iloilo around 630 and checked in to the Century21 Hotel at 7:00. 1075 promo rate plus 100p for 24 hours internet.

Went to McDonald's for supper and Wtf! only one slice of cheese on my bigmac! Oh well, I ate it in about 20 seconds, along with the fries and tiny cup of coke. I was eyeing up Yanni's one piece chicken meal, but shes so tiny I let her eat it all, except for some of the gravy. I Had some crazy gas all the way back to the room.

Iloilo has some wide roads and vendor-free sidewalks, only problem is the garbage smell. Hopefully I can get a pic of one of these long ass limo jeeps, some of them are really pimp and not too much smoke. Some beggar kid wants a peso from me, I just say sorry and keep walking, a Korean guy crosses in front of us and the kid follows after him. I hear a loud yell and see the kid go off running, I guess that guy has no patience for beggars.

What is it with the beds in some of these hotels? I'm only Five and a half feet tall and my feet are practically hanging off the bed. If I was a six footer I'd be really pissed off. At least I got an extra pillow at no extra charge, that's rare.

New trip report coming up probably sometime Saturday when we are in Puerto Princesa.

Headshot

Thanks for all the advice and concern, I'll try to be more responsible in the future.

You forgot the ... :) ... but no worries.

I've really been enjoying your trip reports. Thanks.

Edited by Headshot

Cebuned

I"ll second headshot, keep the great reports coming...Enjoying them all...Watch them beaches.Wink Wink...hehehehehehe

misty

DAY 10

Checked out of Queen's beach resort, went to the cargo area and crossed over to Caticlan. Very windy today, BIG waves 1/3 of the way across. Yanni is scared of rough water and her back was to the waves, I almost said "Wow look at the size of those waves!" but I held my tongue so she didn't get that deer in your headlights look in her eyes. The boat rode through the waves easy enough. Landing on shore was funny, those guys were smashing the outriggers off of the other boats, 3 guys trying to move boats out of the way, what a mess, the parking spot was way too small for another boat. pretty entertaining stuff.

My plan was to take the north coast of Panay to Estancia so we could visit the Gigante islands and maybe Sicogon island. It was too windy and looked like rain soon so we took the highway south of Roxas almost down the middle of Panay instead. It was a good choice I thought when the rain started. Why is it raining so much?, January and February of 2009 and 2010 were beautiful and hardly any rain.

20 minutes from Passi, we got a flat tire in the back :unsure:, I checked under the seat and I only had a tube for the front tire. Its .25 of an inch smaller than the back. Yanni got the location of a vulcanizing shop about 2k away so I start pushing. Lots of people come out to the road to watch the foreigner pushing his motor. We get closer to the shop and people are pointing to it and smiling. Some women come down from the house and one of them is from Texas! She is home in the PI for the first time in 24 years. We are all chatting away while the guy fixed my flat, didn't take too long. I had it repaired before and that's why it went flat, the repair was too thick and it was rubbing on the tire. Then he found another leak, probably damage from when it went flat. I will get a new tube tomorrow. We get to Iloilo around 630 and checked in to the Century21 Hotel at 7:00. 1075 promo rate plus 100p for 24 hours internet.

Went to McDonald's for supper and Wtf! only one slice of cheese on my bigmac! Oh well, I ate it in about 20 seconds, along with the fries and tiny cup of coke. I was eyeing up Yanni's one piece chicken meal, but shes so tiny I let her eat it all, except for some of the gravy. I Had some crazy gas all the way back to the room.

Iloilo has some wide roads and vendor-free sidewalks, only problem is the garbage smell. Hopefully I can get a pic of one of these long ass limo jeeps, some of them are really pimp and not too much smoke. Some beggar kid wants a peso from me, I just say sorry and keep walking, a Korean guy crosses in front of us and the kid follows after him. I hear a loud yell and see the kid go off running, I guess that guy has no patience for beggars.

What is it with the beds in some of these hotels? I'm only Five and a half feet tall and my feet are practically hanging off the bed. If I was a six footer I'd be really pissed off. At least I got an extra pillow at no extra charge, that's rare.

New trip report coming up probably sometime Saturday when we are in Puerto Princesa.

The city is still doing a clean up after the Dinagyang festivities during the weekend. If you staying for a few more days, I'd recommend you transfer to Days Hotel. It's just upstairs of McDonald's (I presume you went at McDonald's Atrium). I think their promo rate @ Days Hotel is 1999 regular rate is 4k, their beds there are nice & comfy! Comes with 2 breakfast buffet overlooking the city. If you're into Japanese food, their restaurant, The Promenade has a Japanese buffet tomorrow night (Wednesday).

dsc01758k.jpg

dsc01757q.jpg

dsc01760kh.jpg

If you like burgers, try Crave burger.. hehe

dfb74cbc03da4914a685d8c02083b867.jpg

misty

Hopefully I can get a pic of one of these long ass limo jeeps, some of them are really pimp and not too much smoke.

2w5vvcw1.jpg

PC3007821.jpg

Cebuned

Hopefully I can get a pic of one of these long ass limo jeeps, some of them are really pimp and not too much smoke.

2w5vvcw1.jpg

PC3007821.jpg

PIMP MY RIDE! heheheheheheh

RickyL

P1180228-1.jpg

P1180230.jpg

P1180234.jpg

P1180238.jpg

Gateway arch

P1210249.jpg

P1210246.jpg

P1210248.jpg

P1210250.jpg

P1240274.jpg

P1240275.jpg

P1240276.jpg

P1240277.jpg

Cebuned

Falling rocks...hahahahaha Love that pic Ricky....Hey, where are all these pics taken at? I love that one with the hole through the rock...I'de love to visit these same places...Looks like your having a blast....Stay safe!

Ned

RickyL

The first three are from the trip through the west coast of Panay, The rest of the pics were taken on Boracay and the hole is the gateway arch.