Sign in to follow this  
RickyL

Trip report--Cebu city to Boracay

RickyL

Day 1

Depart Pier Cuatro hotel 9 am. Stop at Lola's in Laray for long sleeve shirt, maps, battery charger and my extra special Philippine ashtray. It started to rain in the mountains halfway to Toledo so we stop and put on our 40p yellow rain poncho's.

Garbage bag poncho's flapping in the wind and feeling kind of silly we arrive at Toledo ferry port around 11:30 am. I pull up at the gate and look around for a ticket office and 2 guys approach us asking if we need ferry and say they need the CR and OR for the bike and they will get our tickets, I say no thanks we need some lunch first. Go to Jollibee and meet a Canadian guy (Randy) in the parking lot. What a coincidence he lives about an hour and a half from me in Canada. Chat with him for a while and then have some chickenjoy. Go outside and chat with Randy some more and the fixer shows up wanting to get our tickets again. I said no thanks I can get my own tickets inside the terminal. Go to terminal 12:30, buy tickets and yes they want to see OR and Cr for the bike. Total cost with port fees etc. is 970.

Drive bike on to the ferry and its loaded with 3 Ceres liners, a fully loaded transport truck, 3 or 4 goldwings, 3 SUV's, numerous small bikes and about 100 people. I start having visions of capsizing. Depart the pier at exactly 1 pm. It was windy and some whitecaps smashing off the boat causing it to make some startling booming and cracking sounds below.

We survived and arrived San Carlos about 3pm, a little late probably because of the waves and wind. Leave boat and somehow found the right roads to the highway crossing Negros. Starts raining pretty heavy in the mountains and the wind was pushing me into the other lane, my poncho villa was ripped and I was soaking wet and freezing. Stop for a piss on a rather exposed part of a seemingly deserted highway and sure enough here comes 2 Ceres liners, a jeeney and a Yakult truck, wish I had my helmet on.....oh well I am sure all Filipinos have seen foreigners dressed in yellow garbage bags pissing on the side of the road...

Arrive Bacolod around 6pm, get very nice room at Seabreeze hotel for 965. Warm shower, go to SM, eat Mang Inasal, sleep. Day 2 tomorrow.

Edited by RickyL

musicman666

any chance of some piccies??

SkyMan

I love on that road as you're approaching Bacolod and there's big sign warning of dangerous road ahead. The road is fine and perfectly straight but 100m down the road you pass a Tanduay distillery. Hahahahahahah

Cebuned

I love on that road as you're approaching Bacolod and there's big sign warning of dangerous road ahead. The road is fine and perfectly straight but 100m down the road you pass a Tanduay distillery. Hahahahahahah

Ricky,

Looking forward to day 2, very much. If you don't mind, maybe when your done with this trip, you can post some how, a crude map of the roads you took, to and from, back to San carlos. Seeing I'll be living in Toledo, not far from the ferry, I'm sure I'll be taking this trip myself, in the future. Fact is, I need to go to Bacolod myself, to meet for the first time, a local fisherman from there. We have plans to meet and go fishing in that area together. I'll probably take our multicab for the trip.

Ned

RickyL

Day 2

Rain and wind all day in Bacolod, didn't travel yesterday. Stayed at Sea Breeze hotel again. Slooow internet or maybe its just my computer. Watched movies on HBO, went to Gaisano and SM, bought new fluorescent green rain poncho's. Cheap ones because I am kuripot but better than the garbage bag type.

Nice little park at city plaza. Jeepneys drivers seem to be a lot more dangerous than Cebu but less smoke. The Filipinos speak Ilonggo which is a little frustrating to the girl, she says they use tones. They do speak Tagalog as well.

Looks rather gray outside, probably more rain today. We will take the ferry to Iloilo and decide what to do from there.

Edited by RickyL

David_LivinginTalisay

RickyL

I decided to drive to Boracay when my Son, Paul, visited us in November 2005. I wanted to give him a Holiday in Boracay for his 24th Birthday on 5th December. Back then there was no such thing as Cebu Pacific Promo Flights, so for the 4 of us, it proved to actually be cheaper to Drive with the Return Trip from Talisay City to Caticlan and back, with 2 x Ferry Journeys and an overnight stay and meals, in both directions, as well as the 50 liter of diesel fuel for the 900Km Round Trip in my Hyundai Matrix1.5CRDi VGT.

Regardless of such a Trip for 4 adults not being cheaper than Return Cebu Pacific Air Promo Flights x 4, the Trip by car, was more valuable EXPERIENCE for us all and thoroughly enjoyable. Next time I would take longer and stop off and explore more on-route.

Here is my Report on that December 2005 Trip to Boracay by car:-

Cebu-BoracayTrip Report.pdf

Here is another Document showing the Route, my estimates of Travel Times and Ferry Sailings, and Hotels we would stay at on Route to/from Boracay:-

The Boracay Drive.pdf

Please double check all details as this was correct in December 2005, and may not be applicable, different Ferry Schedules and almost certainly increase in prices?

You wrote about the ride from San Carlos to Bacolod.

Don't know if you read this Thread about the Peace Riders MCC Trip we did for the 5th Unity Ride of Visayas Confederation of Big Bike Clubs, in Bacolod for the Maskara Festival:-

Major bike ride Bacolod http://www.livinginc...de/page__st__30

The trip to Toledo City to catch the Ferry to sail to San Carlos City, Port would be fairly easy, but waking up before 5am to make sure we got there well before the 7:30am Sailing would be more difficult for Sha-Sha. At least we had the 'Freight' and Passenger Tickets sorted out 3 days prior.

On reaching San Carlos City, we headed South towards Dumaguete. It also started to rain, so best stop and put on your rain gear before you get wet. We seemed to be heading South, a lot further than the turning for the Eco Tourism Highway, which is the most direct and shortest route to Bacolod City

post-198-081637300%201287394488_thumb.jpg This Open Street Maps, shows only 1 x Route over the Mountains to Bacolod City.

post-198-059733600%201287394734_thumb.jpg This Google Map however shows 3 x Routes you could potentially take?

Dennis Morgan had pulled over in his 'Multicab Trike', as no sign of the Outsiders going this way, so he thought we were heading too far South also. He sent a Text to Erik and the other guy leading the Peace Riders, that we were turning around and heading back to find the Outsiders.

We found them, drinking beer and having something to eat in a small restaurant to the tight just before the Eco Tourism Highway, turning heading West. They were waiting for their Support Pickup Van to arrive, almost 40 mins after we showed up. There were a series of stops for Fuel, and to put on waterproofs, when rain looked imminent.

Don Salvador Benedicto (DSB) is locally known as the "Little Baguio" of Negros Occidental because of its cool climate. This is also the reason why flowers, fruits and vegetables that thrive in cool climate are abundant in DSB. The town also boasts of chocolate hills, rice terraces, waterfalls and caves.

The potential of DSB for tourism development also hinges on its location. It is around 47km from Bacolod City along the well-maintained zigzag road of Negros Translink Ecotourism Highway. Most people going to San Carlos City prefer this route to save time and because of the scenic view which make traveling enjoyable.

The attractions in Don Salvador Benedicto.

We did stop to view the Malatan-og Falls from fairly new viewing station. One can also see the Negros 'Chocolate Hills' as you ride along but they were 'Green' this time of year.

dsb-malatan-og-550x250.jpg

Return Trip from Bacoldd to San Carlos

The place we stopped (661 meters altitude) for something to eat, just before reaching 'DSB'*, was about half way between Bacolod City and San Carlos City as I 'clocked' 42Km on my GPS from that point. Some guys on big Honda's had also selected this place to stop for something to eat. They lived in Silay City near the Airport, and went out Bike riding together every Sunday, but not Members of any Bike Club but knew some who were in Thunderbugs MC.

http://www.sports-tr...8fjkfh3d7rd6khg

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

mahogany

I love detailed travel reports, so thanks for your effort to let us look on :thats-funny:. You could also take a ferry from Victorias to Ajuy and proceed from there. Should you pass San Dionisio, you could consider a visit to Pan de Azucar island, my favorite hideout many years ago, specifically Tambaliza - on the rear of the island. Mt. Manaphag is already visible from afar. Unfortunately Mindoro Resources Ltd seems to venture checking into the feasibility of mining there, and that would mean one less paradise on this planet. Allow me to post this link for your guidance http://www.exploreiloilo.com/concepcions-islands.html

RickyL

DAY 3

Checked out of the hotel and caught the 10:50 am Weesam ferry to Iloilo. I think it was an hour and a half to cross over to Iloilo. Thought it was a Roro but no. They had to load the bike by hand. Total cost 1150 for first class plus they wanted 150 portage fee to unload the bike at Iloilo, One of the guys yells out to me "Hey Joe is this your motor?" lol I just nod to him, and they lift it over the side. Pretty sure I got scammed on that one but I didn't want to take the time and complain. I will get a Roro on the way back. Bought some excellent peanut brittle and some type of coconut snack at Iloilo port, 40p.

We were a little lost in Iloilo but managed to find our way out. EZ maps are not too good. We took the route on the west coast of Panay. Didn't stop to see any sights or swim, the water was rough and dirty near shore. Weather was very windy. There are a lot of rivers and streams on the west coast. I would say we passed 15 so far and we haven't travelled all the island yet, I am in Culasi right now, 3/4 of the way to the north. Had some difficulty getting a room, the few resorts we passed were fully booked but we managed to get directions to Casa Juancho in Culasi across from the public market. 900 for a very big and pink room with a/c and cable tv. Overpriced IMO but better than sleeping outside.

Can't get the pics out of my camera yet as the "multi card reader" in this laptop won't take an xd card. One of the pics is of a sign and the sign says, "watch out for falling rocks, it might contain gold" haha. Time to start day 4.

udonthani

I don't think there's any actual need to tip the guys on non ro-ro's for loading and unloading the bike. Don't you pay a 'portage' fee?

I have given two guys 50 for loading and unloading a bike on a gangplank. Plenty of money for 3 minutes work. 150 is way too much.

David_LivinginTalisay

DAY 3

Checked out of the hotel and caught the 10:50 am Weesam ferry to Iloilo. I think it was an hour and a half to cross over to Iloilo. Thought it was a Roro but no. They had to load the bike by hand. Total cost 1150 for first class plus they wanted 150 portage fee to unload the bike at Iloilo, One of the guys yells out to me "Hey Joe is this your motor?" lol I just nod to him, and they lift it over the side. Pretty sure I got scammed on that one but I didn't want to take the time and complain. I will get a Roro on the way back. Bought some excellent peanut brittle and some type of coconut snack at Iloilo port, 40p.

We were a little lost in Iloilo but managed to find our way out. EZ maps are not too good. We took the route on the west coast of Panay. Didn't stop to see any sights or swim, the water was rough and dirty near shore. Weather was very windy. There are a lot of rivers and streams on the west coast. I would say we passed 15 so far and we haven't travelled all the island yet, I am in Culasi right now, 3/4 of the way to the north. Had some difficulty getting a room, the few resorts we passed were fully booked but we managed to get directions to Casa Juancho in Culasi across from the public market. 900 for a very big and pink room with a/c and cable tv. Overpriced IMO but better than sleeping outside.

Can't get the pics out of my camera yet as the "multi card reader" in this laptop won't take an xd card. One of the pics is of a sign and the sign says, "watch out for falling rocks, it might contain gold" haha. Time to start day 4.

In my Trip Report from 2005, I wrote:-

http://travelphil.co...opping_car.html

For the crossing from Bacolod to Iloilo City on Panay, Millennium Shipping is the only shipping line which accepts rolling cargo.

They leave Bredco Port, Reclamation Area, daily except Sunday at 4 am and noon,

taking 3½ hours.

Millenium Shipping Co., Inc.

Tel No.: 032 253 6563, or 253 5720

Bacolod Tel No.: 034 433 9360

Fax: 032 253 5728

E-mail: [email protected]

The ferry to Iloilo is leaving from BREDCO, which is near downtown Bacolod at the reclamation area. We

arrived in plenty of time for the Montenegro Lines 4pm Ferry.

Had we pushed a bit more, and not stopped to take photos etc, we might have made the 12 Noon sailing of Millenium shipping Co.

There was a notice posted on the window of their office at Bredco Port showing an

additional sailing had been added departing Bredco 6:30pm, and departing Dumungas 9pm.

Since we had missed that one, we had time to kill, so decided to go find somewhere to eat. We actually just

went to somewhere near the Bredco port, which was one street with a whole strip of Lechon Manok joints.

Cant recall the name of the particular establishment which we went into, but the SMB's were cold and cheap.

They offered us some Talaba (Oysters) to go with the Beer. Myself and my son Paul, decided to risk it. I tell

you these were among the best I have tasted in the Philippines and definitely the cheapest – Php50, for more

than 2 dozen! The Lechon Manok was pretty tasty also. (What's more no after affects from eating raw Talaba

either). Some more SMB's to wash it down with, finished it off nicely. We were very close to the Bredco port,

so no problems getting there, well in time for 4pm sailing.

The Ferry journey from Bredco to Iloilo port took about 3 and a half hours from 4pm sailing to

disembarking! This meant it was well dark by that time (7:30pm).

Clearly Millenium Shipping, was not the only RoRo as we used Montenegro Lines 4pm Ferry, in December 2005

Millennium Shipping Co

Mezzanine Floor

PCIB Borromeo Building

Corner A Pond and F. Ramos Street,

CEBU 6000,

Tel: 322535728

The Official Website of Montenegro Shipping Lines, Inc. MONTENEGRO SHIPPING LINES, INC.

2nd Floor Old PPA Admin Building

Sta. Clara, Batangas City 4200

email: [email protected]

Tel: (63) (43) 723-8989

(TRUNKLINE connecting to all departments)

There is also the option of the Dumungas Ferry, just North of Iloilo, with different Sailing Times (we used Millenium Shipping from this Port for our Return Journey).

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

RickyL

DAY 4

Depart Culasi around 9, very nice sunny morning. Made a wrong turn somewhere and realized this when the sea was on my right. We took the north coast to Caticlan instead of west around the point. No problem, it wasn't very much further and some nice views of the sea.

Arrive Caticlan boat terminal 11 am. Start walking to the Roro ticket booth and a guard asks where we are going, I told him we need a roro to Boracay he motions to the main terminal building. I stop before the security scanners and the guard asks where to, I tell him we need roro to Boracay he points to a different booth where the first guard was at. The first guard is wondering why we are coming back that way, I tell him we need roro he says yes in there, I just ignore him and go to the booth the 2nd guard was pointing at. The girl at the booth tells us to go to the roro area which is where I was going the first time! Confused yet? I tell the girl at the roro booth we need a roro to Boracay, she says 2 pm sir, tickets on sale at 1230. We go for a ride around Caticlan to kill time. Traffic gets stopped on the main road when a plane lands or takes off, the runway is VERY close to the road and there is danger of jet and prop blast. Go to carwash near the airport turnoff and get the bike shined up again, 70p. We chat with the carwash guy and he says we need permit to transport from municipality. I thought we should go back to the ticket booth and ask about it. There is no need for a permit and also there is NO RORO TO BORACAY. You have to go to the cargo area. We go to cargo area, 150 for bike and 2 passengers to Boracay, plus 10p port fee, nice! The guys wheel the bike up a plank and off we go, The "captain" operated the throttle of the boat with a wire and steering was with a bamboo pole attached to the rudder,10 minutes later we arrive Boracay, one outrigger sideswiping the crown regency boat. The guys unload the bike and drive it up the beach to the road, I tip them 20 each.

I called Casa Camilla a few hours earlier and the girl said she would hold a standard aircon room for us 1500. We get lost for about half an hour then find the road to Casa Camilla, right on the beach, nice view, lots of people on the beach. Room has screened porch with kitchen area, aircon, cable t.v, large CR with hot water. We go for a walk on the beach and the sand really is very fine and white. Water was cold and not too clear because of the rain and wind the past few days. No coral on that part of white beach. We decide to travel to Baling hi resort, apparently they have some nice corals not far out. Baling Hi is on the cliffs with lots of stairs down to the sea, very interesting place. They have 3 Labrador retrievers there, best dogs in world, especially for kids, I have a chocolate Lab back in Canada. Swam all around in front of Baling Hi, only dead or dying corals, water not too clear yet. Nice little beaches there separated by rocks. We head back to the room and stop at D'mall for some shopping, expensive prices, 1000-1500 for womens bikini, we find the girl a really nice one for 650, I love finding the bargains. We go walking on the beach to find a place to eat, lots of buffets going on, 300 each, A whole lechon baboy being carved up, we decide on Andok's for the prices. 278 for 2 of us. Excellent manok at Andok's, I can't decide which is better, andok's or Mang Inasal. No live bands last night, we go back to the room, watch t.v and sleep.

Boracay is nice, lots of people, mostly Filipino or other asians. Its like Alona beach in Bohol but 30 times bigger. The town is same as everywhere else, tiny roads and congestion. Today we will try the bat and crystal caves and Pukka beach.

samatm

I don't think there's any actual need to tip the guys on non ro-ro's for loading and unloading the bike. Don't you pay a 'portage' fee?

I have given two guys 50 for loading and unloading a bike on a gangplank. Plenty of money for 3 minutes work. 150 is way too much.

Probably money well spent. W/o a tip your bike might end up in the drink on d rtn trip. "So sorry sir, your handle bars was to greasy..." And geez these guys have to earn a living somehow.. how motivated would you be to haul bikes on board for what the portage fee salary would yield if any. 150 is fair. 300 would be longnose scam.

udonthani

they're not like freelance porters, they get a basic wage from the company and I'm almost sure that you've already paid for the service as part of the charges levied for the bike - though having said that, I've never been able to make much sense of those ridiculous receipts they give you. 150 is a day's wage for many people in the province. Once somebody in Leyte sent me a bike, just a bike, to the Camotes for us to ride on the Ormoc-Poro bangka, a bike which I sent back same way a week later. You just pay a straight fee to the company and you aren't expected to hang around and tip the guys on the wharf to get the thing on and off the boat. It's only when you are there in the flesh that they think about getting the extra cash.

Cebuned

they're not like freelance porters, they get a basic wage from the company and I'm almost sure that you've already paid for the service as part of the charges levied for the bike - though having said that, I've never been able to make much sense of those ridiculous receipts they give you. 150 is a day's wage for many people in the province. Once somebody in Leyte sent me a bike, just a bike, to the Camotes for us to ride on the Ormoc-Poro bangka, a bike which I sent back same way a week later. You just pay a straight fee to the company and you aren't expected to hang around and tip the guys on the wharf to get the thing on and off the boat. It's only when you are there in the flesh that they think about getting the extra cash.

Just face it Whippy, your a cheap son of a bitch! Personaly, I don't give a dam if the guys are on payroll or not, and you said it yourself, they probably make 150peso's a day already, whats that? A little over 3USD a day, for christ sack, give the guys a tip and put a smile on their faces. It's not every day they get a chance to be in place to make a nice tip to begin with. I'de give them a 100 peso note, and not blink an eye, and their smile alone would be good enough for me. I'm a firm believer in, what goes around comes around in life....

I know one thing for sure, I've been to places in and around the Philippines, where I might not have been for some years, but the same old faces are still there and they see me and remember me, and they all go out of there way to make sure I'm happy and taken care of, and that goes for my family and belongings also. And yes, I will tip them again, just to be sure it stays like that. No wonder you have such a hard time, everywhere you go it seems. They probably remember you and have your picture even posted in some dank office, Such picture titled, MR WHIPPY, ONe Cheap Son of a Bitch! Make sure to make his day as miserable as you can...And thats not a joke, just fact!

If anything or anyone needs to change, it's guys who think and act like you whippy...Hate to say it, but Fact!

musicman666

Just face it Whippy, your a cheap son of a bitch! Personaly, I don't give a dam if the guys are on payroll or not, and you said it yourself, they probably make 150peso's a day already, whats that? A little over 3USD a day, for christ sack, give the guys a tip and put a smile on their faces. It's not every day they get a chance to be in place to make a nice tip to begin with. I'de give them a 100 peso note, and not blink an eye, and their smile alone would be good enough for me. I'm a firm believer in, what goes around comes around in life....

I know one thing for sure, I've been to places in and around the Philippines, where I might not have been for some years, but the same old faces are still there and they see me and remember me, and they all go out of there way to make sure I'm happy and taken care of, and that goes for my family and belongings also. And yes, I will tip them again, just to be sure it stays like that. No wonder you have such a hard time, everywhere you go it seems. They probably remember you and have your picture even posted in some dank office, Such picture titled, MR WHIPPY, ONe Cheap Son of a Bitch! Make sure to make his day as miserable as you can...And thats not a joke, just fact!

If anything or anyone needs to change, it's guys who think and act like you whippy...Hate to say it, but Fact!

a little harsh dont you think??

and this is supposed to be a trip report?

Edited by musicman666