Sign in to follow this  
thaiexile

Visayan & Indonesian-malay + Spanish

thaiexile

i had noticed someone said that tagalog (visayan?) is about 15% spanish? that is great! also, i had noted on a thread that mahal=expensive - same as indo/malay. also salamat is customary salutation. could anyone comment on how much of these languages are in common?

i guess i mihjt google this as well... duh.

Ilovecebu
i had noticed someone said that tagalog (visayan?) is about 15% spanish? that is great! also, i had noted on a thread that mahal=expensive - same as indo/malay. also salamat is customary salutation. could anyone comment on how much of these languages are in common?

Mahal also means LOVE !!

Ginamos

Bisaya is part of the Malayo-Polynesian language group, so there will be words common in the Philippines and in Indonesia. However, the languages are sufficiently different to make them mutually incomprehensible. Even within the Philippines, speakers of different dialects can't understand each other.

There's a fair amount of Spanish in Bisaya, counting, days of the week, household items. So a knowledge of Spanish would be helpful. However some Spanish words have a different meaning in the Philippines, seguro or sure means maybe in the Philippines (I can't help thinking that says a lot about the Filipinos relationship with their colonial masters).

Also, a word that means one thing in one Filipino dialect can mean something entirely different in another. Plenty to trip up the unwary.

Speaking the local language does a lot to break down barriers. Commonly Filipinos often hide their English and pretend they don't understand foreigners. A small command of the language is very useful in these situations.

chimellie

Love=expensive

kingfisher
Mahal also means LOVE !!

Just like in English: dear means expensive

crewsafe
Mahal also means LOVE !!

As in..."I Mahal you no sh*t...give me money." :as-if:

kardo

Root word for "mahal" is Sanskrit; for "salamat," it's Arabic. Southeast Asian languages are influenced by Hindu and Arabic words. "Visayas" come from the "Sri Vishaya Empire," a Malay Southeast Asian Empire from hundreds of years ago. That is why you have people from the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei, who themselves "Bisaya."

Richard

kingfisher
Root word for "mahal" is Sanskrit; for "salamat," it's Arabic. Southeast Asian languages are influenced by Hindu and Arabic words. "Visayas" come from the "Sri Vishaya Empire," a Malay Southeast Asian Empire from hundreds of years ago. That is why you have people from the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei, who themselves "Bisaya."

Richard

Exactly! Taj Mahal, Mahabharat... Maha means grand, great.

Bharat is India in Hindi.

faeyer

indonesian: aku cebuano: ako Tagalog: ako English: I/Me

indonesian: kamu cebuano: ikaw Tagalog: ikaw English: You

indonesian: cinta cebuano: gugma (gihigugma) Tagalog: mahal English: Love

:D

selamat pagi = is a greeting.. i forgot what kind of greeting. :D

sALamat = saying thank you. :welcome:

just sharing my little knowledge... :D

WujouMao

Salamat = thank you in Philippines

Salamat Datang = welcome [a guest to your room] in malay

salamat jalan, tingal - goodbye in malay.

sort of have the samewords, but differant meaning. as someone said, itsall part of the Malayo-Polynesian language. with 170 languages in the philippines, some words and meanings are going to differ slightly

samatm
Salamat = thank you in Philippines

Salamat Datang = welcome [a guest to your room] in malay

salamat jalan, tingal - goodbye in malay.

sort of have the samewords, but differant meaning. as someone said, itsall part of the Malayo-Polynesian language. with 170 languages in the philippines, some words and meanings are going to differ slightly

ya an dont forget Tag; buko = coconut malay: buku buku = books (probably some ancient malays carved love poems and histories on coconuts and set them adrift to their long distant loves on the PI ) And where are the Boondocks?

tom_shor

The Mountains.