Adventures in Timberland

SkyMan

I too hate utility poles but that's the way they do things here. The problem I think you'll face is that VECO will require you to install a meterage point on your lot's boundary and it is they - and not you - who run the wires between your meter and their pole. As the distance is more than 30 metres, they will require you to buy at least one more pole - they won't run their wires through GI pipe you supply. From the meterage point to your distribution panel it's up to you how you organise that, overground or underground. It's your wire and your responsibility.

Mark

Exactly. That's why I came up with the idea of putting the pole for the eventual meter out by the road. I'll run my wiRes underground from there. If necessary, I'll by 1 sqm of the guy's lot to put my pole on but maybe just some notarized letter from him would be ok.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Markham

• SkyMan

• Davaoeno

• abw

Markham

The well driller admits that recent progress has been mighty slow, just two feet in a week. However he is now drilling through dense "blue" clay and from his experience he believes that the clay is capping a layer of water-bearing sand beneath which there should be water-bearing gravel. So we've decided to allow him to continue for the time being but will be monitoring progress carefully.

Mike, the builder, quite rightly pointed-out that the cost of securing the site and protecting the current structure is fast approaching the cost to complete, made more poignant by the fact that our timber supplier has cut and is storing a considerable quantity of dimensional lumber on our behalf which we're obliged to pay for. So construction will continue, certainly for the time being.

Terry: The well driller tells me that he will be installing a surface pump, probably a 2HP unit, which he says can pump from a depth of up to 300 feet or so. This is a bit cheaper than a submersible whilst being somewhat easier to maintain or replace. He plans to install a two-inch GI pipe inside of which will be a one-inch GI suction pipe. There will be a controller on the pump so that it only pumps when there is a demand. This will feed a very large storage tank which in turn will feed a pressure cylinder to supply a decent pressure at all the faucets. By having very large storage tanks, any particulates that get pumped-up (eg fine sand) should settle at the bottom - of course we will need to empty and clean the tank every couple of months or so, depending on how much debris there is.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
SkyMan

So any luck Mark? Still progressing or giving up?

Markham

So any luck Mark? Still progressing or giving up?

Mike - the builder - told me that a well had just been completed at a commercial place near us; they didn't strike any water until they reached a depth of 116 feet but they continued drilling to 200 feet to get a good, clean supply. They did have to install a 5 HP pump to being the water to the surface, however. Our drillers are at about 104 feet, since January, and now only achieving about 2 feet a week at a cost of 5,000 Pesos a foot which, to my mind is bullshit. Mae informed me yesterday that she has fired the well-drillers, so there won't be a well. And there's still no immediate prospect of power.

Is there any real point in continuing with this project?

Mark

Edited by Markham
  • 2 weeks later...
SkyMan

Mike - the builder - told me that a well had just been completed at a commercial place near us; they didn't strike any water until they reached a depth of 116 feet but they continued drilling to 200 feet to get a good, clean supply. They did have to install a 5 HP pump to being the water to the surface, however. Our drillers are at about 104 feet, since January, and now only achieving about 2 feet a week at a cost of 5,000 Pesos a foot which, to my mind is bullshit. Mae informed me yesterday that she has fired the well-drillers, so there won't be a well. And there's still no immediate prospect of power.

Is there any real point in continuing with this project?

Mark

Sorry so late a reply but I was without internet for about 2 weeks.

Whether to continue or not is certainly up to you, of course. The guys I will hire to drill my well have agreed to p400/ft and are well aware that they will have to go over 200ft perhaps taking 3 months because my nearest neighbor's well is 205 ft and was drilled by his father about 16 years ago using older equipment taking over 6 months.

It's a hard choice to scrap something you've already put so much into but at the same time, what are your other options? I guess just look for some other land elsewhere that does have available utilities. Would that cost less than bring water and electric to your current land?

Davaoeno

Sorry so late a reply but I was without internet for about 2 weeks.

Whether to continue or not is certainly up to you, of course. The guys I will hire to drill my well have agreed to p400/ft and are well aware that they will have to go over 200ft perhaps taking 3 months because my nearest neighbor's well is 205 ft and was drilled by his father about 16 years ago using older equipment taking over 6 months.

It's a hard choice to scrap something you've already put so much into but at the same time, what are your other options? I guess just look for some other land elsewhere that does have available utilities. Would that cost less than bring water and electric to your current land?

The guys that we use charge 26,000 for a 160 ft deep well. They take about 2 months. So far they have done either 3 or 4 in our subdivision

• 2 weeks later...
Markham

The guys that we use charge 26,000 for a 160 ft deep well. They take about 2 months. So far they have done either 3 or 4 in our subdivision

That is their labour charge, materials would be extra, Your guys recently quoted my nextdoor neighbour (m60man) 80+ thousand for (I believe) 130 foot plus 700 Pesos per foot thereafter but that did include GI casing and suction pipes. They also drilled for a chicken farm near us for about the same price and struck water at 180 feet. Mae did talk to Pepe (the owner of your guys' outfit) and if he drilled for us, he would not take over the existing bore but would start a new one - and from our perspective, that would be a complete waste of time and money.

From what I can establish, it seems that private owners - such as you and I - tend to employ percussion drillers whilst Government projects appear to use companies with truck-mounted rotary drills. They, of course, are much more expensive - I was quoted 600k+ for a 200 foot well, inclusive of all materials, and although they estimated 3 to 4 weeks on-site, I had to rule them purely out on cost grounds.

Mark

Markham

It has been some time since I last uploaded site photographs.

The ground floor deck was completed on March 25 which allowed us to start erecting the exterior main walls:

With those in place, the interior walls were erected:

All the walls - interior as well as exterior - are 4-inch with the exception of two (interior) "plumbing" walls at each end of the kitchen.

The door and window openings are currently covered with ply but this will, of course, be removed once we're ready to install the doors and windows.

Mark

Edited by Markham
Markham

Once the4 ground floor framing was completed, we started on the upper floor by placing the floor joists and rim joists, then the sub-floor and the exterior walls.

Once all the exterior walls are in place, only one of the two long internal walls will be erected. This will give us the space we need to create and erect the roof trusses.

We have made a minor change to the original plan in that the upstairs bathroom will be slightly narrower to allow for a partial "cathedral ceiling" in the entrance hall and stairwell.

Mark

Davaoeno

That is their labour charge, materials would be extra, Your guys recently quoted my nextdoor neighbour (m60man) 80+ thousand for (I believe) 130 foot plus 700 Pesos per foot thereafter but that did include GI casing and suction pipes. They also drilled for a chicken farm near us for about the same price and struck water at 180 feet. Mae did talk to Pepe (the owner of your guys' outfit) and if he drilled for us, he would not take over the existing bore but would start a new one - and from our perspective, that would be a complete waste of time and money.

From what I can establish, it seems that private owners - such as you and I - tend to employ percussion drillers whilst Government projects appear to use companies with truck-mounted rotary drills. They, of course, are much more expensive - I was quoted 600k+ for a 200 foot well, inclusive of all materials, and although they estimated 3 to 4 weeks on-site, I had to rule them purely out on cost grounds.

Mark

oh well, at least we gave it a shot. Its always nice to have competing bids so we get an idea of what the charge should be

BTW since your construction is obviously proceeding at a rapid pace what are your plans re power and water ?

Edited by davaolife