Sign in to follow this  
BaniladBadBoy

Bitaw Sa?

BaniladBadBoy

I couldn't find the translation online. Thanks for your help in advance.

ancienrocka

My wife says it means something like "yeah, is it?" - just a way of agreeing with someone.

My wife says it means something like "yeah, is it?" - just a way of agreeing with someone.

Yvette Cebu888

In other words " Bitaw noh ?" . "Sa" its Cebuano expression ( only in Cebu ) for someone to agree with you or you want a person to agree with you..

In Tagalog " Diba?

dablindfrog

any good (free) English to Visayans translation pages on-line?

Art

any good (free) English to Visayans translation pages on-line?

I use this for words sometimes I'm not sure if it is what you want.

http://www.binisaya.com/random

Impromptu

What Filipinos mean when they say "Bitaw sa?" or "Bitaw noh?" is different from the literal translation of the word. It actually expresses an agreement to something they only now realize to be truthful in their opinion. We might similarly say "Yeah, I realize that you are right, aren't you?"

"Diba?" is something entirely different. It means "Am I right?"

You must realize that when asking a Filipino to translate their own language, they usually find it very difficult to express in English exactly what is being meant. Bisaya does not allow a person to express his thoughts through words. As a result, Cebuanos have to express them through intonation and body language.

Angie

"Bitaw sa? or Bitaw no?" is a commonly heard reply when someone notices something or a fact that has been overlooked. The speaker says something that he/she just noticed and the listener would agree by saying, "Bitaw sa? or Bitaw no?"

Example:

A: Dili man gwapo ang iya'ng bana, datu lang. (Her husband is not handsome, he's just rich.)

B: Bitaw sa? (Oh, yeah, you've noticed it, I have too.)

Edited by Angie