Sign in to follow this  
DeezNuz

Medicine Prescription practices in the Philippines

tom_shor

Is there any area of day-to-day living that the Filipino is NOT dishonest ??

Yes.

It was meant to be a rhetorical question :)

Ahh. I thought that was a rather harsh assesment. :wink:

crj

I think that we all can learn from this post and conversation no matter what country you live in. We need to be responsible for our health care, we need to do research on drugs before we take them, we need to ask our doctors questions, and we need to do research on all types of treatments not just medications. I believe that none of us should be so foolish to trust our health to just one person and we need to take responsibility for ourselves. I think doctors in any country got in the business for the most part to help people but they make mistakes also. We need to have a conversation with them about all of our options as Big Rob did and we will feel better and I believe get a better treatment.

Ray

richard90027

I'd like to know what you guys do when you need pain killers, there does not seem to be any available in the RP

dc3driver

I'd like to ask the same question. Here in the USA I have a standing script for Hydrocodone, will it be a problem to get in the RP? I have been in many countries where stuff with codeine in it is over the counter.

For Real

I'd like to know what you guys do when you need pain killers, there does not seem to be any available in the RP

There is plenty of Oxycontin being dispensed in RP...by Oncologists to patients on their last legs...thats the light at the end of the tunnel

Stranded Shipscook

Next time try to ask for analgesics, the counter girl might understood only: .... killers due to mumbling (happens to me all the time, hahaha)

oh, and don't mumble again then, otherwise she understand anal....

Joke, mate

Edited by Guenther

Stranded Shipscook

I'd like to ask the same question. Here in the USA I have a standing script for Hydrocodone, will it be a problem to get in the RP? I have been in many countries where stuff with codeine in it is over the counter.

if you plan to bring codeine contents substances or any medicine, bring an "International Prescription" with you. Otherwise you may run into danger of confiscation as it is a "problematic" substance. And make sure you just bring the exact amount covered in this prescription.

With this prescription you can also buy it in the local pharmacy.

Hope this helps.

DeezNuz

But, if it's BigRob... heck, I'll prescribe him the most expensive one... and probably advise him to take double the dose and that he must! He'll be fine, worst could happen is that he'll come back again and then that's another rebate for me. Whatever it takes to keep my rebate add up, I mean my patient BigRob to get well. Hehehe.

You can prescribe your sweet luvin for me anytime.

Julian C Thong

But try telling this story to a Filipino. They just do not get it. When I go to the Doc with my SO and he or she writes down 5 or 6 pills instead of just the one needed, she is distrought when I don't buy the others. I've explained to her the system as Rob discribed but she cannot believe a Doc can be corrupt, which is what it is. No wonder these practises are endemic.

DeezNuz

Check for alternative names for your medication when verifying if they have it here in Philippines.

That's what I found out for Indomethacin...they call it Indocin here, even though they only offer the generic.

Stranded Shipscook

a.) In defense of the Pinoy i must say, it is also common practise in Germany. Although most doctors tend to give the "Free Samples" to their patients instead of the prescription.

The kickback come in different form, not cash, as that would be too obvious, but as Clinic equipment and "Seminars" in exotic destintions.

That may explain all the Congresses and Seminars in five start hotels in Bangkok or Tahiti !!

b.) If you have a prescription and want to get informed about other possibilities, get yourself a FREE account in the website MIMS

Or ask your Doc for 'generic" or Cheaper alternatives. You can do that also in the Pharmacies, even your prescription holds a diferent name, b law they have to give yo the cheaper alternative. As long as the Substances are the same, you be safe...

having said that, there is a lot of fake medicines around, almost all of them are fakes from expensive imported medicines, so you may be safe with the locally produced "Generic" medicine. Because nobody would fake a cheap thing, right ? or have you ever heard of a fake TIMEX watch :shocked:

DeezNuz

Most of the 'fake' medication comes from China and Latin America. Many times they'll utilize materials used for pest control in these fakes.

They had a really good show on National Geographic (or History Channel) about the 'fake industry'.